The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver police looking for men spotted filming inside Pacific Centre mall

WHL rocks

Hopefully it's a non issue, but it's been 2 days, VPD can't ID these men. They can't find them hence the press release. It's obvious VPD is concerned about this, otherwise they wouldn't make a public plea like this. 

You can bet your house that Pacific Center has been under very heavy police surveillance for the last couple of days. You can bet that place has been crawling with undercover cops incase something happened while they looked for these guys. It's come to a point where they can't find these guys so now it goes public. 

18 minutes ago, Green Goblin said:

Another theory is that they are fresh off the boat and just wanted to take pictures of the mall. I'm pretty sure newcomers of any country would want to take pictures of their new surroundings. You know to get a feel for the area. Of course it's not for ulterior purposes.

It says that they were specifically looking at entrances and exits though.  A bit suspicious.  It very well could be completely innocous but I think it warrants further investigation. It's important to separate the actions of the vast majority of innocent middle easterners that just go about their lives from those of criminals (as goes for any demographic) but when there is reasonable cause for suspicion it needs to be acted upon. Not denying that racial profiling exists, however this is a case where I think it would raise suspicion no matter what their race.  It may not even be terrorism (robbery?) but it does warrant further investigation.

Just now, etsen3 said:

It says that they were specifically looking at entrances and exits though.  A bit suspicious.  It very well could be completely innocous but I think it warrants further investigation. It's important to separate the actions of the vast majority of innocent middle easterners that just go about their lives from those of criminals (as goes for any demographic) but when there is reasonable cause for suspicion it needs to be acted upon.  Unfortunately minorities often get in trouble for things that the majority would get away with, however this is a case where I think it would raise suspicion no matter what their race.  It may not even be terrorism (robbery?) but it does warrant further investigation.

They aren't really minorities in Vancouver, but I get your point. Yes definitely, questioning should be done. If they have nothing to hide, they should be cool with a couple questions about their motives. Otherwise, they will be watched closely.

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Is there a video footage, or something? Judging by the images that were posted, they do look suspicious. Their body language in the very top image shows they're up to something.

This happened 2 days ago so my guess is the VPD has been looking at cameras and decided to release the info to the public.

5 minutes ago, Green Goblin said:

They aren't really minorities in Vancouver, but I get your point. Yes definitely, questioning should be done. If they have nothing to hide, they should be cool with a couple questions about their motives. Otherwise, they will be watched closely.

Best case scenario, it's DJ Khaled shooting a Snapchat story

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Is there a video footage, or something? Judging by the images that were posted, they do look suspicious. Their body language doesn't appear to be normal in the very top image, and shows they're indeed up to something. They seem to be very vigilant of their surroundings.

Guaranteed there's video footage. They were in and around the mall, there are cameras everywhere at every mall and especially the big malls.

Cops have been reviewing this whole thing for 2 days. Obviously they think it's serious and suspicious, otherwise they wouldn't put this in the news. 

13 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Guaranteed there's video footage. They were in and around the mall, there are cameras everywhere at every mall and especially the big malls.

Cops have been reviewing this whole thing for 2 days. Obviously they think it's serious and suspicious, otherwise they wouldn't put this in the news. 

Are other local news covering this as well? Or is it just VanCity Buzz

2 minutes ago, DonLever said:

A bunch of fear mongering.  Those guys are probably tourists.

If you are a terrorist, would you be so obvious in taking such pictures?  You would do it furtively or secretly.

Sweet. Then when they see their pictures on the news being labeled as potential terrorists, they will come forward and explain it's all a misunderstanding, no? 

4 minutes ago, DonLever said:

If you are a terrorist, would you be so obvious in taking such pictures?  You would do it furtively or secretly.

Blame the VPD? They're the ones who released it to the news agencies.

42 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

Damn, these guys are stupid, must be newbs.  If you were planning something, can you be a bit more conspicuous?

Maybe they don't know that every step in a mall is videotaped.  

newbs always do stupid things lol

28 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Are you kidding. Seriously is this a joke?

Terrorists are so damn stupid they believe they're going to get 72 virgins in heaven if they die killing random people walking down the street. 

The also cut your head off with a small knife if you're not muslim.  Heck you can even be a muslim, if you're not a specific type of muslim you get your head chopped off. 

Terrorists are some of the stupidest and idiotic people on the planet. So yeah terrorists would be taking such pictures. I'm surprised they know how to work a camera. 

You would hope anyone seen suspiciously taping exits and entrances to public spaces would be questioned but it's easy to doubt that.

I can see arguments for and against what the VPD are doing but in this day and age I support them for taking whatever steps to ensure safety.  Obviously minds go to terrorism, but they could also just be planning a smash n grab or have a weird taste in personal videos.  Could be an honest misunderstanding.  VPD made it clear these men have done nothing suspicious beyond the video.  

Hopefully the "PC is ruining our country" crowd can see that it hasn't stopped the VPD from taking this step - it's up to the public to exercise their critical thinking skills and remember that people are innocent until proven guilty.  

Archived