The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Hamhuis, Vrbata, Prust, Weber, possibly Burrows and Higgins

Odd.

27 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

With the uncertainty of the cap... Players on expiring contracts will be way more popular at trade deadline time then players with years left at unfriendly cap hits.  Higgins and Burrows will be tough to move, but I still think Vrbata and Hamhuis could each command a late 1st round pick from a contender.  I'm not sure the Canucks should move Hamhuis though.  I'm pretty sure that Vrbata will not resign in Vancouver and Benning would be stupid not to move him.  Although Benning hasn't shown the best asset management in the past and may think they have a chance to make the playoffs this season.  Not moving Vrbata would be a mistake in my opinion.  I see Minny, Pittsburgh, Detroit and Florida as good fits for Vrbata.  

I don't think it matters too much if we trade Hamhuis this year, with him being an upcoming UFA. We can always sign him in the summer if he would want to come back, I doubt he would hold it agaisnt the team if we were to trade him for a 1st or 2nd rounder.

t  

20 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

I don't think it matters too much if we trade Hamhuis this year, with him being an upcoming UFA. We can always sign him in the summer if he would want to come back, I doubt he would hold it agaisnt the team if we were to trade him for a 1st or 2nd rounder.

t  

lets compare hamhuise to ,lets say ferrance, pretty comparible avg,size both reliable  tell me would you give up our  1st pick 4, 5, 6, oa for ferrance even if we needed a dman? that you knew was goin to walk and we do need a dman..hamhuis flys home to telkwa (11 miles east of smithers) every chance he gets. does,nt want to be further  from his kids,he,s already said he would consider retire ring from injures if that happened and it has  happened .if he was asked to waive his ntc he would say no and play out his term.  plus getting a 1st for as much as i love the guy he,s not worth a first ,but like i said it won't get to that point

2 minutes ago, chon derry said:

lets compare hamhuise to ,lets say ferrance, pretty comparible avg,size both reliable

Hamhuis is way better than Ference. The perfect second pairing guy that any team looking to go on a run would want. Ference is a bottom pairing guy on most teams.

The fact that he's a UFA at the end of the season is a good thing for a team right up against the cap.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Hamhuis is way better than Ference. The perfect second pairing guy that any team looking to go on a run would want. Ference is a bottom pairing guy on most teams.

The fact that he's a UFA at the end of the season is a good thing for a team right up against the cap.

I'm you got that right on the mark DeNiro.  Hammer being a UFA makes him worth even more at the TDL, same with Vrbata.  

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

ferrance was an example 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I'm you got that right on the mark DeNiro.  Hammer being a UFA makes him worth even more at the TDL, same with Vrbata.  

NHL
Hamhuis

VAN
1st (for sure)
Top prospect (depends on marker)
—————————————
NHL
Vrbata

VAN
1st (for sure)

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

ferrance was an example 

Maybe Ference of 5 years ago, not today.

I think Hamhuis has pretty good stock around the league as a reliable vet. Team Canada execs definitely like him too.

If it was 2011-2012, I would definitely give up a 1st for a guy like Hamhuis if we didn't already have him and could fit him in. Those are the teams you gotta make a deal with, not the bubble teams.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think a lot of you will be let down from the Vrbata return. The guy is on pace for about 38 point's or so and is a playoff no show.

Ufa for sure makes him easier to move however the return likely won't be very significant. 

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

NHL
Hamhuis

VAN
1st (for sure)
—————————————
NHL
Vrbata

VAN
1st (for sure)

This is laughable. A 1st and a top prospect for a mid 30s winger on pace for under 40 pts and under 20 goals and not to mention a playoff no show.

If the shoe was on the other foot would you want JB to make a trade like that? I know I wouldn't.

Your proposals are always crazy but that one is pretty terrible.

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

hefty asking price for a guy nobody knows how long he wants to play .narrowed down to top contending teams he would consider waiving for

If you're pretty confident your pick is going to be a 25-30 pick, it's not that hefty. Especially if it's a team that already has a bunch of depth in their organization.

Chicago knows Vermette wasn't worth a 1st, but they don't care. They could afford it, and he provided that extra depth to put them over the top.

Just now, DeNiro said:

If you're pretty confident your pick is going to be a 25-30 pick, it's not that hefty. Especially if it's a team that already has a bunch of depth in their organization.

Chicago knows Vermette wasn't worth a 1st, but they don't care. They could afford it, and he provided that extra depth to put them over the top.

Chicago had better stop trading picks and prospects away.

But I get your point but the op is correct Hammer will decide. But I kind of agree with gstank if the deal isn't worth try and sign him to a good deal.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I'm sure they could dangle him out there hamhuise in the end will have some say, not sure but i think he sticks around and eventually becomes part of the training staff.

18 minutes ago, chon derry said:

lets compare hamhuise to ,lets say ferrance, pretty comparible avg,size both reliable  tell me would you give up our  1st pick 4, 5, 6, oa for ferrance even if we needed a dman? that you knew was goin to walk and we do need a dman..hamhuis flys home to telkwa (11 miles east of smithers) every chance he gets. does,nt want to be further  from his kids,he,s already said he would consider retire ring from injures if that happened and it has  happened .if he was asked to waive his ntc he would say no and play out his term.  plus getting a 1st for as much as i love the guy he,s not worth a first ,but like i said it won't get to that point

You could be right about Hamhuis not waiving his NTC, but none of us really know for sure if he's willing to or not. He might figure that this year is his last real chance at the cup, and is willing to be farther away from his family for 2-4 months.

the guys pretty active in whats happening in smithers donating money for the second rink there building there , i read something a couple of months ago edmonton being close still maybe ,that was a local tv interview chtk out of terrace shortly after his injury  read or heard it locally

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Chicago had better stop trading picks and prospects away.

But I get your point but the op is correct Hammer will decide. But I kind of agree with gstank if the deal isn't worth try and sign him to a good deal.

At the same time, when Chicago can sign guys like Panarin for free who are basically a top 10 pick equivalent, it doesn't hurt so much. Good scouting and being an attractive team for free agents to come to can make up for those lost picks.

If Hamhuis can't fetch a 1st or a 2nd and a prospect, I agree we might as well re-sign him. It would be hard to replace a guy like him at the cost we could likely sign him for. But if we can get a young D prospect as a return, it's a no brainer.

I don't see Hamhuis turning down a deal. It would only be 3 months of his life and a chance to win a cup. I have a feeling he would do what's best for the Canucks, like Bieksa. That seems to be the type of guy he is. He could even re-sign here after ala Vermette in Arizona.

3 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

You could be right about Hamhuis not waiving his NTC, but none of us really know for sure if he's willing to or not. He might figure that this year is his last real chance at the cup, and is willing to be farther away from his family for 2-4 months.

contenders ...washington chicago  la   a return to nashville ?  there good on d ???  can't see it .

Archived