The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Hamhuis, Vrbata, Prust, Weber, possibly Burrows and Higgins

Odd.

vrbata has value it just has to be realistic. last year his value was much higher obviously. This year they for some reason havent wanted to try and up his value and scoring by playing him with the twins.

I dont think he will take much of a pay cut let alone resign here period. So I think Vrbata and prust are must move pending UFA's. Getting scraps for Weber if possible and maybe try to move higgins to NJ? They lost Tlusty for a few months and have cap room. Not sure why they would be against a vet like Higgins even in a 4th line role for half his cap hit

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

At the same time, when Chicago can sign guys like Panarin for free who are basically a top 10 pick equivalent, it doesn't hurt so much. Good scouting and being an attractive team for free agents to come to can make up for those lost picks.

If Hamhuis can't fetch a 1st or a 2nd and a prospect, I agree we might as well re-sign him. It would be hard to replace a guy like him at the cost we could likely sign him for. But if we can get a young D prospect as a return, it's a no brainer.

I don't see Hamhuis turning down a deal. It would only be 3 months of his life and a chance to win a cup. I have a feeling he would do what's best for the Canucks, like Bieksa. That seems to be the type of guy he is. He could even re-sign here after ala Vermette in Arizona.

If the option is to keep Hamhuis then Benning has to resign him before the TDL. The risk of not doing so is that he ends up losing him to FA or paying to much to keep him.

The choice is simple to me he has to be dealt. If he wants Van so much then resign him after the draft. Van is rebuilding and for me that comes to a choice between Edler and Hamhuis on the LD. Hutton has had a solid season as a rookie and I would slot him in as the 2LD next fall. That leaves a 3D open for completion from a UFA signing, prospects or a top draft pick. Hamhuis's play has slid for 2 years now but I think he draws interest for playoff bound teams.

2 hours ago, Yotes said:

vrbata has value it just has to be realistic. last year his value was much higher obviously. This year they for some reason havent wanted to try and up his value and scoring by playing him with the twins.

This kind of assumes other GM's, scouts etc are morons though. They know his track record and what he can do. Having a very slightly down year with the context of playing on a sub-par team in the midst of a rebuild with a bunch of kids doesn't magically reduce his value. At least not by some drastic degree people seem to be assuming on here. Our and the 29 other GM's know what he's capable of on a better team with better line mates.

55 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Until this year he'd averaged a 0.684 PPG pace since the lockout. With this year, he's down to 0.663. He's good for 40-60 points depending on context/opportunity and an average of ~54.

Why not make the picks conditional.  It reduces the risk on rental players.  We can make them conditional on playoff success or a player resigning prior to draft. 

Ex. Hammer to WSH for conditional 2nd round pick, (becomes a 1st if caps make it past the second round)

Vbrata to Panthers for 2nd and conditional 2017 3rd round pick, (becomes a 2017 2nd if Panthers resign him)

Prust has to go.  Ever since he said the kids had to learn to stick up for themselves and that it wasn't his job....

That literally IS your job!  That's why you were brought here!...  or should I say WAS your job...

Mentoring the kids...FAIL!  Protecting the kids to give them a "safe learning environment" as Linden put it.....FAIL!

Bye Bye Prust!  Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!  We'll be lucky to get a 5th round pick.

So apparently Kevin Allen (hockey writer for USA Today) was on the radio today saying that the Pens are very interested in Hamhuis and are actively pursuing a trade. The Canucks forum on HFBoards has a thread going with the details: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?p=112869573#post112869573

If true this would be great news as Hamhuis's trade value should heat up as we move toward the deadline. There have been minor rumblings of other teams having interest as well.

The rumoured returns discussed from the Pens (along the lines of either their 2017 1st, two 2nd round picks, or 2/3 round pick plus one of their D prospects) would be solid value. 

Pittsburgh certainly have some nice pieces that would help our rebuild. They are also tight to the cap IIRC so we'd probably need to take back a cap dump along with whatever futures package they offered.

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So apparently Kevin Allen (hockey writer for USA Today) was on the radio today saying that the Pens are very interested in Hamhuis and are actively pursuing a trade. The Canucks forum on HFBoards has a thread going with the details: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?p=112869573#post112869573

If true this would be great news as Hamhuis's trade value should heat up as we move toward the deadline. There have been minor rumblings of other teams having interest as well.

The rumoured returns discussed from the Pens (along the lines of either their 2017 1st, two 2nd round picks, or 2/3 round pick plus one of their D prospects) would be solid value. 

Pittsburgh certainly have some nice pieces that would help our rebuild. They are also tight to the cap IIRC so we'd probably need to take back a cap dump along with whatever futures package they offered.

2017 1st would be great.

On January 26, 2016 at 0:18 PM, StraightFlush said:

Prust is extremely dissapointing after a good month. Hearts not in it, doesn't wanna be in Vancouver. 

Be lucky to get a fifth for him

Pretty hard to be on top of your game, coming off a high ankle sprain, not making excuses for Prust, but...same as Higgins, hasn't been right all season. They're worse than breaks. Don't think he needs a heart transplant, his mind wants to play, but his body won't let him.

3 minutes ago, Blueberries said:

Sure whatever you think.

I'd have to advocate the same, if only due the them being rentals and Pitts while needing something tangible...well hell.

They've given up basically their entire future over the last 3 or 4 seasons with less than squat to show for it.  1st and maybe 3rd yes, cannot see thm getting rid of Pouliot no matter how much I want it to happen

19 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Hamhuis for a 1st and one of Pittsburgh's best young D?

a struggling Vrbata and a healthy scratch 4th liner for essentially 2 1sts and a 5th? 

Think again 

Hamhuis was almost already traded to PIT, so they really like Hammer. They need a DMAN and if they don't make the playoffs then what? TD is the best time to get high value. 

Same with Montreal. Marc's job is done if they don't get into the playoffs. They need REGULAR SEASON goals and Vrbata has proven he can score. Prust goes back to a place where they love him at a decent cap.

Two desperate teams that might have to blow it up if they don't meet expectations once again. Time to capitalize. 

Archived