The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Hamhuis, Vrbata, Prust, Weber, possibly Burrows and Higgins

Odd.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

I think we re-sign Bart personally as a 6/7 guy depending on who else we end up picking up. Pedan is waiver eligible and will be one of our 7/8 guys. Tryamkin is a huge question mark and I never said he'd be on the NHL roster, notice he was 6th on that lefty list (teams don't carry 12 D FWIW ;) )

You think we're contending next year....? 

Canucks have Edler, Sbisa, Hutton on left. Seriously doubt they resign Bart. They're going to be looking for a top 4 RHD more than anything. Edler-Tanev, Sbisa-???, Hutton-Biega, Pedan/Fedun as the extra. Bye Weber. Bye Hamhuis. Bye Bartkowski. 

Just now, Boddy604 said:

Canucks have Edler, Sbisa, Hutton on left. Seriously doubt they resign Bart. They're going to be looking for a top 4 RHD more than anything. Edler-Tanev, Sbisa-???, Hutton-Biega, Pedan/Fedun as the extra. Bye Weber. Bye Hamhuis. Bye Bartkowski. 

Bart can play both sides and is good 6/7 D depth that can skate. It will depend on what other moves are made of course but I'm not opposed to retaining him. Benning tried to trade for him last year and signed him in the summer. Clearly he likes him.

Agreed that we need top 4 righty though. But there's more top 4 lefties likely available which is why I'd be fine moving Edler for a Hamonic, Gudbranson etc and sign a Yandle or Goligioski.

Otherwise we're hoping to win the Buff sweepstakes or settling for a guy like Demers (if he even makes UFA).

Ideally we'd go in to next year with something like:

Gologoski/Yandle, Hamonic/Gudbranson
Sbisa, Tanev
Hutton, Biega/Bartowski

Pedan, Biega/Bartowski

More realistic though we'll probably have:

Edler, Tanev
Sbisa, Demers (or similar)
Hutton, Biega/Bartowski

Pedan, Biega/Bartowski

That's certainly an improvement but I know which one I'd prefer...

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I think we re-sign Bart personally as a 6/7 guy depending on who else we end up picking up. Pedan is waiver eligible and will be one of our 7/8 guys. Tryamkin is a huge question mark and I never said he'd be on the NHL roster, notice he was 6th on that lefty list (teams don't carry 12 D FWIW ;) )

You think we're contending next year....? 

I think with our rookies progress and a bit of luck in free agency we could be a playoff team that wouldn't be a certain first round exit.

If Markstrom keeps consistently getting better and playing a well as he has. If the Sedins stay near the same level. We have multiple players like Hutton, McCann, Virtanen, Baertschi, that are making good progress. Horvat has been really good lately. If Sutter and Sbisa stay healthy. If a couple of Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Subban, Biega, Pedan ect can stay at the level where they are pushing for a roster spots and making the team. If we can get our defence in order with a couple of trades and signings. We look a lot better with a Yandle or Buff added to the mix and swapping Edler with Harmonic ect. Lots of good forwards headed for free agency too. Not saying we are gonna land Stamkos, but there's also guys like Stall, Backes ect that we could go for if we trade Vrbata. 

That's a lot of if's but not anything ridiculous like saying if we trade Higgins, Burrows and a second for McDavid we make the playoffs. Just a little luck in free agency and a hope that our recent drafting is going to pay off. 

3 hours ago, LarsEller said:

It's fine if you don't get it. Bartowski is gone. Pedan and Trymakin are going straight to Utica. That's call up depth. Not contending defensive core. We are going to have to sign at least  2. The only ones we have at this point are Tanev, Edler, Sbisa and Hutton. If we can dump Edler for a guy like Harmonic or Barrie we need 2 more D. If you want to do anything in the playoffs those can't be Bartkowski type players or ahl call ups. You keep a guy like Hamhuis on a bargain contract and overpay for a guy like Buf or Yandle. 

And you know how?  Please enlighten us oh mighty Karnack.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

And you know how?  Please enlighten us oh mighty Karnack.

Seeing as Benning and Linden are committed to making the playoffs they aren't resigning Bartkowski. Pedan and Tymakin have not shown that they are ready for the NHL. Not rocket science. Just basic perception.

16 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

Seeing as Benning and Linden are committed to making the playoffs they aren't resigning Bartkowski. Pedan and Tymakin have not shown that they are ready for the NHL. Not rocket science. Just basic perception.

May want to check your tuning dial ;)

5 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Do you think Bartkowski fetches us a late 2nd at the deadline? I don't think he's as bad as some people on this board say. I think he's a solid 3rd pairing dman and dmen always go for a premium.

Nope. Meszaros had 17 points in 38 games and was flipped for a 3rd rounder a couple of years ago. 

Vrbata - 3rd & 5th or late 2nd (comparable - Hemsky)
Hamhuis - 2nd & 3rd (comparable - Grossman, Kubina, Oduya)
Bartkowski - 4th
Prust - 4th or 5th
Weber - 6th or 7th. 

Ideally we could bundle Vrbata and Hamhuis up for a 1st, but that doesn't usually happen. Two 2nds along with a few later picks would be a decent haul. 

I'd probably keep Hamhuis, as I could see him sticking around at a lower price next year perhaps. If we are on the bubble, management might want to keep him as well. 

Vrbata, Bartkowski, Prust and Weber are all expendable. Might as well get some value for them. I think Vrbata and Prust are the easiest to move. Weber might not generate anything, but even if we got a 6th or a 7th that would be fine. The value of a 4th compared to a 6th isn't really much, I'd rather keep Bart over Weber if that is the return. 

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Cap space for what? Might want to specify (and hopefully for some other D as that D would be annihilated).

Hamhuis will definitely sign for less from his current contract, if resigned.

If we can trade Edler, that's 5 million off the books.... And with Hamhuis resigning (lets say at least 3 million) that's an extra 2 million in cap space.

you do not trade a D that is in his prime like an edler,but hamhuis i think will be gone.We have many pieces that at the deadline will get us something and if we stock up come draft day we might have a better deal then we would at the deadline to get a good young D man and forward!

4 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Vrbata - 3rd & 5th or late 2nd (comparable - Hemsky)

Lol vrbata had 31 goals last year, that's more goals than Hemsky had in the 3 seasons before his trade combined. I think you confused an apple with an orange.

Jagr who had a 24 goal year the season before was traded last year at the deadline (only 11 goals in 57 games) for a  early 2nd AND a 3rd.

Iginla who put up 32 goals the year before was traded at the 2013 deadine (9 goals in 31 games) for a 1st and 2 prospects.

Moulson who was 2 years removed from a 36 goal season was traded at the 2014 (11 goals in 44 games) deadline for 2 second round picks

Glencross who was 3 years removed from a 26 goal season was traded last year (9 goals in 53 games) for a 2nd AND a 3rd.

I could keep going but I think you got the point. The market trends indicate Vrbata is worth much more than a 3rd and 5th or a late 2nd

3 hours ago, soshified said:

Hamhuis will definitely sign for less from his current contract, if resigned.

If we can trade Edler, that's 5 million off the books.... And with Hamhuis resigning (lets say at least 3 million) that's an extra 2 million in cap space.

And when hammer gets his next head injury he calls it quits. He's already said as much. That's a huge hole.

10 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Do you think Bartkowski fetches us a late 2nd at the deadline? I don't think he's as bad as some people on this board say. I think he's a solid 3rd pairing dman and dmen always go for a premium.

Every pick you get at the TD is a late anything cuz the teams grabbing guys are higher in the standings. So no, Bart does not get a 2nd. Vrbata would. Bart would be good for a 3rd

4 hours ago, coryberg said:

Lol vrbata had 31 goals last year, that's more goals than Hemsky had in the 3 seasons before his trade combined. I think you confused an apple with an orange.

Jagr who had a 24 goal year the season before was traded last year at the deadline (only 11 goals in 57 games) for a  early 2nd AND a 3rd.

Iginla who put up 32 goals the year before was traded at the 2013 deadine (9 goals in 31 games) for a 1st and 2 prospects.

Moulson who was 2 years removed from a 36 goal season was traded at the 2014 (11 goals in 44 games) deadline for 2 second round picks

Glencross who was 3 years removed from a 26 goal season was traded last year (9 goals in 53 games) for a 2nd AND a 3rd.

I could keep going but I think you got the point. The market trends indicate Vrbata is worth much more than a 3rd and 5th or a late 2nd

I hope you are right, but this year he is on pace for less than 40 points and is a -18. A lot of his goals last year were thanks to the Sedins. Plus he isn't a big, playoff type player, and has struggled with just 8 goals 18 points in 42 games. 

Jagr still had a higher PPG and was from a team who had a leading scorer with just 43 points that year. Jagr at the time also had close to 200 playoff points over his career. 

I would love to see us get two second round picks for Vrbata.

Archived