The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Freidman "I wouldn't be surprised if The Canucks threw some serious money at Stamkos"

3 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Well after reading the comments from Tampas fans I guess I would lower my offer to Stamkos as well. 

At the same time guys like Boedker, Okposo, Lucic, Yandle and Schultz would not give us anywhere near the same impact on scoring as Stamkos would. 

And perhaps Stamkos would, in time, convert back to his old self. 

Tough choices.

To be fair we have fans that rip on the Sedins it doesn't mean the Sedins aren't worth their money.

Would you expect other teams fans to look at cdc when evaluating a player?

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

To be fair we have fans that rip on the Sedins it doesn't mean the Sedins aren't worth their money.

Would you expect other teams fans to look at cdc when evaluating a player?

I had the same reaction you did re: how we talk about the Sedins, but these over the years have become the minority.

They do look, not necessarily on CDC but on other forums such as Eklund and HF boards...

5 minutes ago, Go_Canucks_Go_4stanley said:

If I'm GMJB I'm offering him 8 years at 10 per. Trade Miller for a 7th, Sedins are expendable, we GOTTA get Stamkos, he's one of the best in the league. 

You do know Sedin - Sedin - Stamkos would be absolutely lethal right?

28 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Well after reading the comments from Tampas fans I guess I would lower my offer to Stamkos as well. 

At the same time guys like Boedker, Okposo, Lucic, Yandle and Schultz would not give us anywhere near the same impact on scoring as Stamkos would. 

And perhaps Stamkos would, in time, convert back to his old self. 

Tough choices.

I recall 2 off seasons that Ovechkin had.  I recall Caps fans actually saying he'd snap out of it, he's only 26/27  Only scoring like 30 ish goals

I guess...Maybe just maybe a 25 year old Stamkos COULD in theory you know...bounce back.  But who knows, apparently he's over the hill by the Bolts forum ;)

4 minutes ago, HungarianVanCanFan said:

Wouldn't be a Burrows type of player a better fit to the Sedins? Who goes to the net aggressive, makes some destruction, creates space...

So you'd rather a Burrows type player play with them rather than a bonafide 50 goal scorer?

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I recall 2 off seasons that Ovechkin had.  I recall Caps fans actually saying he'd snap out of it, he's only 26/27  Only scoring like 30 ish goals

I guess...Maybe just maybe a 25 year old Stamkos COULD in theory you know...bounce back.  But who knows, apparently he's over the hill by the Bolts forum ;)

Yeah every player, even elites, have off years. A common cause is complacency, lazy, or lack of motivation. I don't think that's Stamkos' problem.

If his problem is psychological due to his leg injury, then I would exercise caution about his ability to bounce back. We have seen first hand how serious injuries can change players like Booth, Hamhuis and to a lesser extend Edler and Ohlund.

Again. Tough choices.

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

So you'd rather a Burrows type player play with them rather than a bonafide 50 goal scorer?

Don't know, just the Sedins didn't seem to me as effective with a sniper like Vrbata, as with a Burrows in his heydays.

5 minutes ago, HungarianVanCanFan said:

Don't know, just the Sedins didn't seem to me as effective with a sniper like Vrbata, as with a Burrows in his heydays.

You have a point. They weren't that great with Naslund either.

But Stamkos though.....

EDIT: however, the main point is to have a successor to the Sedins in the future, IMO.

http://thehockeywriters.com/

Stamkos to Canucks: Don’t Get Your Hopes Up
February 15th, 2016 BY Colton Davies

It’s no surprise a media market as active in the hockey world as Vancouver is intrigued about Steven Stamkos just as much as teams like Toronto and Montreal.

But there isn’t much about the Vancouver Canucks that would intrigue the Lightning captain to sign with the team right now. Perhaps in a couple years if the “rebuild-on-the-fly” comes together as planned, but Stamkos is a pending UFA now, and he may not ever be in a similar contract situation again after this season.

If Stamkos were to leave Tampa Bay, the Lightning certainly aren’t going to let him simply “walk” on July 1st, and lose the face of their franchise for absolutely nothing. Even a sign-and-trade, which is more commonly seen in other major sports, is something that Stamkos would want to happen, should he not stay with the Lightning. It’s no secret that Stamkos is exploring his options, but he’s a true professional and has only ever known Tampa Bay in his career. The organization has helped groom and guide him into a superstar in the league, and built their success in recent years with Stamkos as the focal point. The 26 year-old isn’t going to just walk away from all of that, even when the matter here is business.

And let’s be clear, Stamkos isn’t concerned about which team is prepared to offer him the most money. He’ll certainly be due for a raise after this season, but that may not be as drastic as some may think. Stamkos’ agent, Don Meehan, responded to the Tampa Bay Times in regards to the reported offer from Tampa Bay which includes an $8.5 million annual average:

“I think from Steven’s point of view, he’s not the kind of individual that would be saying to us, ‘I have a priority consideration and it’s only money’… That wouldn’t be Steven Stamkos at all.” – Don Meehan, Stamkos’ agent.
So assuming that the Canucks would need to trade to acquire Stamkos, who would they have to let go of? The only way Vancouver could remotely counter in value would be to trade away multiple players, probably aged 21 or younger. And in that case, what would they have to lure in Stamkos, a team in shambles for the foreseeable future? Stamkos has a full no-movement clause in his contract, meaning he could say no to the Lightning if they were to try and trade him to a team in dismay.

It’s simply not going to happen.

Canucks Need to Stay Committed To Rebuilding
Embed from Getty Images

In recent seasons, the Canucks have done a successful job with loading up their pool of prospects. Players like Bo Horvat, Sven Baertschi, Jake Virtanen, Jared McCann, Bo Horvat and Jacob Markstrom have all made their way into the Canucks lineup over the past two seasons. Others like Hunter Shinkaruk, Brendan Gaunce, Nikita Tryamkin, Thatcher Demko and Brock Boeser will all find their way into Vancouver’s lineup in coming seasons.

Trading for Stamkos would mean the Canucks having to flip at least two of these players to the Lightning, if not more. An even more appealing asset for Tampa Bay would have to be Vancouver’s first round draft pick this year; the Canucks could very well end up picking in the top-five at the NHL Entry Draft this June at their rate of regression (but don’t tell ownership they aren’t a playoff team).

The bottom line is that you can’t buy talent without selling potential. And even if this trade did go through, would Stamkos really want to join a rebuilding roster?

Stamkos has endured brutal losing seasons and lots of uncertainty in the Lightning’s personnel in his years. He only continued to shine on the ice, growing into one of the league’s premier snipers.

Led by Stamkos, the Lightning have now entered a window of winning, highlighted by their Stanley Cup Finals run last season. It should still be open for years to come, which makes you think that Stamkos would want to be part of it.

Justified Intrigue About Stamkos in Vancouver
Embed from Getty Images

As unlikely as it is that Stamkos ends up in a Canucks jersey, you can’t blame Vancouver fans for hoping for it.

In a season where there has been little to cheer for in Vancouver, the idea of acquiring Stamkos is an optimistic one; which also explains the obsession in Toronto that runs as far back as last summer. It’s understandable – the discussion is, after all, on acquiring a former first overall pick, a four time all-star and a two time Rocket Richard Trophy winner, with pure sniper abilities that can’t be taught.

The Canucks could move young players or draft picks that pose to be very valuable to the team down the road, but the quantity of what they would need to give up is truly too steep. Even if Stamkos’ main concern is where he plays and not what he’s being paid, imagine the Canucks trying to take on his salary, and ideally the likes of Horvat, McCann, and Virtanen in coming years. Not that they would ever be able to retain all those assets and still acquire Stamkos.

Trading for him isn’t logistical, signing him as a free agent is unrealistic.

Sorry, Canucks fans, but don’t get your hopes up.

deffiently wouldnt get our hopes up for Stamkos. In all honesty if we had to give up our top prospects i wouldn't even have any interest. Even if he went to free agentcy and we had a shot to sign him i probably wouldnt be interested. I dont believe a player should be paid more than 8.5M a year. If we have to pay 10+M for 1 player just think of what will happen once we have our young guys looking for contracts. Hes a great player and i hope he gets his 10+M a year, just not with us. Hopefully the Oilers go for him and somehow screw themselves for when McDavid, Draisitl, and Nurse are due raises. If Stamkos gets 10M what does McDavid get? Dude is going to be the best player to play in a long time, maybe even best ever. Im more impressed with his play than Crosby and Ovechkin, that says a lot. Too bad the Oilers hit the jackpot with all their horrible hockey over the years.

7 minutes ago, McHortanen said:

http://thehockeywriters.com/

Stamkos to Canucks: Don’t Get Your Hopes Up
February 15th, 2016 BY Colton Davies

It’s no surprise a media market as active in the hockey world as Vancouver is intrigued about Steven Stamkos just as much as teams like Toronto and Montreal.

But there isn’t much about the Vancouver Canucks that would intrigue the Lightning captain to sign with the team right now. Perhaps in a couple years if the “rebuild-on-the-fly” comes together as planned, but Stamkos is a pending UFA now, and he may not ever be in a similar contract situation again after this season.

If Stamkos were to leave Tampa Bay, the Lightning certainly aren’t going to let him simply “walk” on July 1st, and lose the face of their franchise for absolutely nothing. Even a sign-and-trade, which is more commonly seen in other major sports, is something that Stamkos would want to happen, should he not stay with the Lightning. It’s no secret that Stamkos is exploring his options, but he’s a true professional and has only ever known Tampa Bay in his career. The organization has helped groom and guide him into a superstar in the league, and built their success in recent years with Stamkos as the focal point. The 26 year-old isn’t going to just walk away from all of that, even when the matter here is business.

And let’s be clear, Stamkos isn’t concerned about which team is prepared to offer him the most money. He’ll certainly be due for a raise after this season, but that may not be as drastic as some may think. Stamkos’ agent, Don Meehan, responded to the Tampa Bay Times in regards to the reported offer from Tampa Bay which includes an $8.5 million annual average:

“I think from Steven’s point of view, he’s not the kind of individual that would be saying to us, ‘I have a priority consideration and it’s only money’… That wouldn’t be Steven Stamkos at all.” – Don Meehan, Stamkos’ agent.
So assuming that the Canucks would need to trade to acquire Stamkos, who would they have to let go of? The only way Vancouver could remotely counter in value would be to trade away multiple players, probably aged 21 or younger. And in that case, what would they have to lure in Stamkos, a team in shambles for the foreseeable future? Stamkos has a full no-movement clause in his contract, meaning he could say no to the Lightning if they were to try and trade him to a team in dismay.

It’s simply not going to happen.

Canucks Need to Stay Committed To Rebuilding
Embed from Getty Images

In recent seasons, the Canucks have done a successful job with loading up their pool of prospects. Players like Bo Horvat, Sven Baertschi, Jake Virtanen, Jared McCann, Bo Horvat and Jacob Markstrom have all made their way into the Canucks lineup over the past two seasons. Others like Hunter Shinkaruk, Brendan Gaunce, Nikita Tryamkin, Thatcher Demko and Brock Boeser will all find their way into Vancouver’s lineup in coming seasons.

Trading for Stamkos would mean the Canucks having to flip at least two of these players to the Lightning, if not more. An even more appealing asset for Tampa Bay would have to be Vancouver’s first round draft pick this year; the Canucks could very well end up picking in the top-five at the NHL Entry Draft this June at their rate of regression (but don’t tell ownership they aren’t a playoff team).

The bottom line is that you can’t buy talent without selling potential. And even if this trade did go through, would Stamkos really want to join a rebuilding roster?

Stamkos has endured brutal losing seasons and lots of uncertainty in the Lightning’s personnel in his years. He only continued to shine on the ice, growing into one of the league’s premier snipers.

Led by Stamkos, the Lightning have now entered a window of winning, highlighted by their Stanley Cup Finals run last season. It should still be open for years to come, which makes you think that Stamkos would want to be part of it.

Justified Intrigue About Stamkos in Vancouver
Embed from Getty Images

As unlikely as it is that Stamkos ends up in a Canucks jersey, you can’t blame Vancouver fans for hoping for it.

In a season where there has been little to cheer for in Vancouver, the idea of acquiring Stamkos is an optimistic one; which also explains the obsession in Toronto that runs as far back as last summer. It’s understandable – the discussion is, after all, on acquiring a former first overall pick, a four time all-star and a two time Rocket Richard Trophy winner, with pure sniper abilities that can’t be taught.

The Canucks could move young players or draft picks that pose to be very valuable to the team down the road, but the quantity of what they would need to give up is truly too steep. Even if Stamkos’ main concern is where he plays and not what he’s being paid, imagine the Canucks trying to take on his salary, and ideally the likes of Horvat, McCann, and Virtanen in coming years. Not that they would ever be able to retain all those assets and still acquire Stamkos.

Trading for him isn’t logistical, signing him as a free agent is unrealistic.

Sorry, Canucks fans, but don’t get your hopes up.

deffiently wouldnt get our hopes up for Stamkos. In all honesty if we had to give up our top prospects i wouldn't even have any interest. Even if he went to free agentcy and we had a shot to sign him i probably wouldnt be interested. I dont believe a player should be paid more than 8.5M a year. If we have to pay 10+M for 1 player just think of what will happen once we have our young guys looking for contracts. Hes a great player and i hope he gets his 10+M a year, just not with us. Hopefully the Oilers go for him and somehow screw themselves for when McDavid, Draisitl, and Nurse are due raises. If Stamkos gets 10M what does McDavid get? Dude is going to be the best player to play in a long time, maybe even best ever. Im more impressed with his play than Crosby and Ovechkin, that says a lot. Too bad the Oilers hit the jackpot with all their horrible hockey over the years.

Poor guy who write that article didn't see that Yzerman said there is no way they are trading Stamkos before Feb 29th.

32 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Yeah every player, even elites, have off years. A common cause is complacency, lazy, or lack of motivation. I don't think that's Stamkos' problem.

If his problem is psychological due to his leg injury, then I would exercise caution about his ability to bounce back. We have seen first hand how serious injuries can change players like Booth, Hamhuis and to a lesser extend Edler and Ohlund.

Again. Tough choices.

Oh I know man, I just find it funny that the bolts forum is calling him or claiming he's washed up.  If we could nab him at $9 million per I'd take a washed up 25 year old 40+ perennial goal scoring threat any day of the week.

No question he'll come back to form

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Totally different re-building group, Buffalo will more than likely make the playoffs this year .. Within their first or second year of rebuilding..  Edmonton has been rebuilding for 5-6 years and has yet to make playoffs.

yeah, different "rebuilding group" - lead by an idiot.  not sure why anyone would have more confidence in Murray than any GM in the league - imo in the running as the worst.

any GM can tank and add the obvious top 3 picks in the process.  still have to build a team.

Archived