The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on TSN1040 - Doesn't Plan to be a Seller / Wants to Make Playoffs

4 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

You really need to move to Edmonton or Buffalo or Arizona. You would love TDL and the draft so much more there. The actual hockey, not so much! Sell, sell, sell so we can stink, stink, stink. Who wants that????

Did you see what Arizona got for Yandle at last year's deadline? I would absolutely love to see the Canucks make a trade like that. 

2 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

we have sedin horvat sutter mccann and cracker we dont need centers we need rand handed top four dmen 

Sutter with a broken jaw will be out awhile and McCann isn't a strong enough center to truly make a push.  McCann should be moved to the wing.  And then there's Cracknell... If management is really committed to making a push, we would need another center and, most definitely, defensive help.

3 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

News flash for you: this team is trying to win every game this year. Trying the best they can. Trevor and crew are not losers.

As it should be. People convinced themselves early in the season that Vrbata and Hamhuis were worth the moon and won't accept any situation where we don't end up with three first round picks. I'd rather the kids learn now that they can be difference makers and gain that confidence and swagger.

50 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

My thoughts:

• Mom's had a good time on the road trip
  • Too early to to say what they're doing for the deadline
  • Losing Edler and Sutter is a big loss. Looks like they are out a while
    • I agree. I think people underestimate what Edler brings to the team. Sutter's presence was also felt when he rejoined the team.
  • Talking to other GMs about what's going on in the trade market
  • Looking to maybe even add to the team to try and make the playoffs
    • A little be weary of this comment.
  • Doesn't think he'll be a seller unless there's a crazy good deal offered
    • Very much hoping he sells Vrbata. Hammer, I'm okay with him keeping.
  • Edler being out makes Hammer that much more important
  • Hasn't had much interest from other teams from Hammer. Other teams are starting to scout him now though
  • Keeps saying that the plan is to make the playoffs
    • It's the plan, but I'm sure even he knows that it's a long shot.
  • Hasn't talked to Hammer about his NTC. Might sit down with him and see "where he's at"
  • Says Vrbata is getting chances, but just isn't getting the luck
  • Prust has reported to Utica. They gave him extra time to report 
  • Higgins has a good attitude in Utica, working hard, helping the young guys
    • I've been impressed with Higgins thus far in Utica. I'm really hoping he keeps it up.
  • If teams call on Higgins and Prust, he will try and move them
  • Hutton has been "real good for us" 
    • Willie?
  • Tate Olson is real smart, good hockey IQ, skating is getting better, real good season to date
  • Doesn't look at players from Gillis any differently from ones he has brought it
  • Talked to hockey Canada about Virt, said when he came back he was skating really well. Since he's come back he's been "excellent" Need him to have a big second half
  • Think Demko will be a number 1. Will talk to him after the season is done, he has one more year in school if he wants, but will ask him about Utica. Wants him to have a couple years in Utica before joining the Canucks. Likes the Markstrom, Demko paring. 
    • Not sure if a Markstrom-Demko pairing can last long. Both are primed to be starters in the NHL.
  • Shink is a goal scorer, want him to improve two-way game, getting pucks out on the wall, winning battles, strong to the net
    • Agreed, though I think the level of defense he needs to develop is less given his role.
  • Wants Gaunce to develop scoring touch 
    • He has been doing just this in Utica this season. He's been picking up a fair few points this year.
  • Trying to figure out why why the Canucks are better on the road, not scoring enough at home

markstrom demko maybe in 2 yrs if not 3 demko isnt ready hes in college he will be 22-23 when on canucks if we are lucky 

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

The team will hang in the hunt just close enough for JB to think we might be able to make the playoffs. Which means we'll keep all the upcoming UFA vets we want to sell.

Unfortunately most of our pending UFA's have little value because of such poor seasons.

Hamhuis is the only one who I think will get serious offers, but he may have more value to us if we re-sign him.

Vrbata has played so poorly this season we'll be lucky to dump him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick if we retain salary. With him it's more just addition by subtraction. He'll free up a spot for a younger player.

4 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

News flash for you: this team is trying to win every game this year. Trying the best they can. Trevor and crew are not losers.

I would expect nothing less. The goal though needs to be creating a team with a better chance of being competitive in the playoffs. Anything can happen in the playoffs is a fallacy and is marketing speak for keep buying tickets because we are pretending to be competitive.

I'm not sure why the reaction on his 'goals' when he's done nothing but say this since day one.

I could give a crap about one deadline anyway.  The results of which will not put us over the top.  All it will do is lead to more window shopping of 'we could have had that' and 'why didn't we do this' here, while the major impact moves will take years and years to pull off and come to fruition.

We're in this for the long haul.  If the goal is to win a cup, then let's just hope Linden/Benning's plan is sound. 

2 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

Sutter with a broken jaw will be out awhile and McCann isn't a strong enough center to truly make a push.  McCann should be moved to the wing.  And then there's Cracknell... If management is really committed to making a push, we would need another center and, most definitely, defensive help.

gaunce zalewski and  that otherkid we just called up are centers 

Wow.

he sure will look like a complete and total fool (nonis)when all the ufas walk for nothing in the summer after missing the playoffs or worse getting eliminated in 4 games of round 1. Hey Just like last season. 

Well there can't be good gms with out guys like nonis I mean Benning pretending to be in charge.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Did you see what Arizona got for Yandle at last year's deadline? I would absolutely love to see the Canucks make a trade like that. 

Yes, some trades are great. But you have to give quality to get quality. Yandle was not a rental, remember. We could get a lot for Tanev I think, for example.

37 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Province headline in year 2019 - Vancouver Canucks have fired GM Jim Benning, not the guy might be a good scout but doesn't know how to asses a hockey team if he is letting the win column fool him. Seriously watch the games Benning, we are being out played, out checked, and out matched. Relying on Old man Miller won't work against the elite teams because they never over pass like mediocre teams like AVs and Pheniox did, they instead shoot,shoot,shoot and Miller eventually cracks. 

The guy who made his name on this forum by overhyping Bobby Sanguinetti as our defensive savior has the brass to try and throw stones at other people's ability to assess anything. Delicious. 

8 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

You really need to move to Edmonton or Buffalo or Arizona. You would love TDL and the draft so much more there. The actual hockey, not so much! Sell, sell, sell so we can stink, stink, stink. Who wants that????

Selling off pending UFAs and declining vets isnt tanking its good asset management.

Getting solid young or youngish players = winning in the future. Not managing our assets and losing players for free or letting them decline into the abyss just to make the first round and get drubbed by $&!#ters = being terrible forever. 

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I would expect nothing less. The goal though needs to be creating a team with a better chance of being competitive in the playoffs. Anything can happen in the playoffs is a fallacy and is marketing speak for keep buying tickets because we are pretending to be competitive.

Remember, a team can only be competitive if it's visited by the 'top five draft pick fairy' year in and year out. 

What a crock.

If Hammer isnt traded then forsure he will be resigned, maybe 2 years which would be just fine, If Virbata isn't traded then means no body wanted him which again we gave nothing up for him so, you cant sell what nobody wants, No one will take Burrows and they would be crazy to move Hansen unless it was for a solid potential 22 year old RH Dman, who else is there?  Think like others have said Benning will add if it helps us now and long term not just for a play off run

20 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Really JR and Warhippy?  I hope they re-sign Hammer.  3 years, 12 mil.  He has 2 more decent years and is dependable for big minutes when needed.  He's a perfect 3-4 d-man for the rest of our rebuild.

You can trade him and still re-sign him FYI ;)

Hamhuis - Now with additional organizational assets (and maybe a cup ring)!

3 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Yes, some trades are great. But you have to give quality to get quality. Yandle was not a rental, remember. We could get a lot for Tanev I think, for example.

Tanev, Edler, whatever. To pick up a stud like Duke, (plus Moore and 2nd and a 1st) there isn't a veteran (not named Sedin) that I wouldn't deal...

BTW: It should also be noted that I was fully in favor of moving Vrbata last season, when his value might have garnered us a return like the 'Yotes got.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

As long as the fallacy works then it is the reality. Remember that the ultimate goal for the Canucks is NOT to win the Cup for the fans. This is NOT a public service. The ultimate goal is to make as much money as possible. In an ideal situation, winning the Cup and maximizing profits work together, but not necessarily. Don't confuse your goals with this private company's goals.

Just now, coastal1 said:

As long as the fallacy works then it is the reality. Remember that the ultimate goal for the Canucks is NOT to win the Cup for the fans. This is NOT a public service. The ultimate goal is to make as much money as possible. In an ideal situation, winning the Cup and maximizing profits work together, but not necessarily. Don't confuse your goals with this private company's goals, Mr Wall Street.

i sure hope benning doesnt go for drouin  i know stevie y is trying to stick it to this kid and im sure he will do decent in nhl  but the whole thing smells a bit like cody hodgson entitlement so id pass on it. im probably wrong and yzerman is just trying to get his rfa yrs at cheaper than hes worth which is a horrible way  to run a team no wonder stampkos wants  to go to leafs 

Archived