The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on TSN1040 - Doesn't Plan to be a Seller / Wants to Make Playoffs

He said he wasn't going to be a seller. He never said that he wasn't going to be a trader. Or a deal maker.

Benning isn't going to give this radio station anything that they can broadcast regarding the sensitive inner workings of the club.

Hell, Linden lied boldfaced to news reporters the day before taking the job as president. This organization is built on smokescreens and trapdoors, smoke and mirrors.

They have a plan. It just happens to be nobody's business but theirs right now.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They were looking to get Tryamkin signed at the end of this month. Demko could also be signed at the end of his season if he's ready to turn pro. There's also Rodin who they were talking about signing.

Either way, I think they wanna clear out some contracts and get a good idea of what they're working with before they go and start claiming players on waivers.

How about this: Prust and Higgins for Erhoff. I'd pull the trigger on that. It would be more or less salary neutral and give everyone involved another shot at the NHL level.

8 minutes ago, jmahyoung said:

Adding them this month? I thought none of them would play till next season at earliest (Tryamkin) and 3+ years for the other guys.

Tryamkin could potentially be on the roster in like 3-4 weeks. Demko could potentially join Utica this season (but more likely next season) and yeah, Boeser is a bit out unless he wants to ditch school and turn pro. But college guys u wanna get under contract ASAP so u don't lose them to ufa before they ever play

10 minutes ago, theminister said:

If anybody interpreted what JB said as, "We are going to trade for rentals" then they should question everything they think about everything.

"Adding" means hockey deal.... i.e.. Baertschi, Etem, Pedan, Sutter, etc.

What JB said disclosed nothing we didn't already know.

This. I'd be up for buying picks, prospects and young players, but going after rentals would likely mean giving up those kinds of pieces and Benning has said he isn't willing to do that. The question will be if it's only players like Prust, Higgins and Weber that are on the block, or if Benning becomes willing to deal Vrbata and Hamhuis (or another non-pending UFA in a hockey trade).

My thoughts:

• Mom's had a good time on the road trip
  • Too early to to say what they're doing for the deadline
  • Losing Edler and Sutter is a big loss. Looks like they are out a while
    • I agree. I think people underestimate what Edler brings to the team. Sutter's presence was also felt when he rejoined the team.
  • Talking to other GMs about what's going on in the trade market
  • Looking to maybe even add to the team to try and make the playoffs
    • A little be weary of this comment.
  • Doesn't think he'll be a seller unless there's a crazy good deal offered
    • Very much hoping he sells Vrbata. Hammer, I'm okay with him keeping.
  • Edler being out makes Hammer that much more important
  • Hasn't had much interest from other teams from Hammer. Other teams are starting to scout him now though
  • Keeps saying that the plan is to make the playoffs
    • It's the plan, but I'm sure even he knows that it's a long shot.
  • Hasn't talked to Hammer about his NTC. Might sit down with him and see "where he's at"
  • Says Vrbata is getting chances, but just isn't getting the luck
  • Prust has reported to Utica. They gave him extra time to report 
  • Higgins has a good attitude in Utica, working hard, helping the young guys
    • I've been impressed with Higgins thus far in Utica. I'm really hoping he keeps it up.
  • If teams call on Higgins and Prust, he will try and move them
  • Hutton has been "real good for us" 
    • Willie?
  • Tate Olson is real smart, good hockey IQ, skating is getting better, real good season to date
  • Doesn't look at players from Gillis any differently from ones he has brought it
  • Talked to hockey Canada about Virt, said when he came back he was skating really well. Since he's come back he's been "excellent" Need him to have a big second half
  • Think Demko will be a number 1. Will talk to him after the season is done, he has one more year in school if he wants, but will ask him about Utica. Wants him to have a couple years in Utica before joining the Canucks. Likes the Markstrom, Demko paring. 
    • Not sure if a Markstrom-Demko pairing can last long. Both are primed to be starters in the NHL.
  • Shink is a goal scorer, want him to improve two-way game, getting pucks out on the wall, winning battles, strong to the net
    • Agreed, though I think the level of defense he needs to develop is less given his role.
  • Wants Gaunce to develop scoring touch 
    • He has been doing just this in Utica this season. He's been picking up a fair few points this year.
  • Trying to figure out why why the Canucks are better on the road, not scoring enough at home

If I were Benning, I would try to resign Hamhuis first and if I could not do that, then I would trade him at the last possible minute.  I would like to keep him for another year or two as I suspect that he may have played through the injury before the puck hit his face before Christmas.   I could trade Hamhuis but it is not a guarantee that he would resign with the Canucks at a discount even if I keep him without a new contract in place for next season.   It is not a guarantee that we would have him for next year unless he is signed to a new contract before Feb 29. 

4 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

If I were Benning, I would try to resign Hamhuis first and if I could not do that, then I would trade him at the last possible minute.  I would like to keep him for another year or two as I suspect that he may have played through the injury before the puck hit his face before Christmas.   I could trade Hamhuis but it is not a guarantee that he would resign with the Canucks at a discount even if I keep him without a new contract in place for next season.   It is not a guarantee that we would have him for next year unless he is signed to a new contract before Feb 29. 

I honestly cannot see Hamhuis turning down a deal that comes close to what he thinks he is worth.

7 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

• Think Demko will be a number 1. Will talk to him after the season is done, he has one more year in school if he wants, but will ask him about Utica. Wants him to have a couple years in Utica before joining the Canucks. Likes the Markstrom, Demko paring. 
    • Not sure if a Markstrom-Demko pairing can last long. Both are primed to be starters in the NHL.
  •  
  • I'm just going to touch on this a bit
  • 16/17 Markstrom Miller
  • 17/18 Markstrom some backup (Could be Demko's chance to make the team)
  • 18/19 Markstrom Demko (probably around 25 games)
  • 19/20 Markstrom Demko (30 ish games)
  • 20/21 Markstrom Demko both ready to be starters.

5 years from now Markstrom will be 31 and Demko 25 so its not too crazy to say that we may be able to keep both for at least 4 more year. If Demko rose up the depth charts really fast then he will probably be ready to be a starter in 3 years.

I'd be okay if he keeps Hamhuis. However, if he's keeping Hamhuis, I hope he re-signs him. Hamhuis clearly wants to stay and will re-sign, it's just a matter of Benning waiting for the right time to pull the trigger. If Hamhuis isn't moved at the deadline, I expect him to get offered a contract extension.

If Vrbata isn't moved at the deadline, I'll be pissed.

Just now, Gstank29 said:
  • I'm just going to touch on this a bit
  • 16/17 Markstrom Miller
  • 17/18 Markstrom some backup
  • 18/19 Markstrom Demko (probably around 25 games)
  • 19/20 Markstrom Demko (30 ish games)
  • 20/21 Markstrom Demko both ready to be starters.

5 years from now Markstrom will be 31 and Demko 25 so its not too crazy to say that we may be able to keep both for at least 4 more year. If Demko rised though the rankings really fast then he will probably be ready to be a starter in 3 years.

I think we'll keep both for quite a while, but once they're both of NHL calibre it may become problematic. Even in your timeline, there's only 3 years during which we have both at the NHL level. If Demko's progression continues, I wouldn't personally be surprised if he's ready to be a starter by his second year. I definitely like it as a short term plan though. Once Demko is ready to be a starter, just trade Marky for some sick assets.

Since we're likely looking to buy (and sell, we'll see), I think it's appropriate to post a list of players who are connected to WD:

Perhaps we will see one or more of these guys in Canucks jerseys.

Joffrey Lupul

Clarke MacArthur

Kris Russell

David Schlemko

Darren Helm

Tyler Ennis

Deven Dubnyk

The 2010-2012 Dallas Stars (When he was associate coach), Including Jamie Benn, Trevor Daley, Alex Goligoski, Kari Lehtonen, Loui Eriksson, Mike Ribeiro, Steve Ott, Eric Nystrom, Vern Fiddler, Ryan Garbutt, and Adam Pardy.

Matt Fraser

Alex Chiasson

Jamie Oleksiak

Cody Eakin

Antoine Roussel

Patrik Nemeth

Luke Gazdic

Kevin Connauton

Cameron Gaunce

Brett Ritchie

Joe Morrow

Radek Faksa

Curtis McKenzie

John Klingberg

Brendan Ranford

Jyrki Jokipakka

Aaron Rome

Jack Campbell

As you can see, there is a rather large selection of players available to us through the WD universe. Who's your favorite? Mine's Jamie Benn. (lol, one can hope, right?)

In b4 "Rooooome."

Archived