The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks lose to Marlies 5-2

Stanky Legs

3 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

No but we can trade:

Hamhuis, Vrbata, Miller, Burrows and potentially Edler to "tear down" so to speak. 

Miller and Vrbata were signed as placeholders and expiring soon, and Hamhuis is a pending UFA.  Probably at least 2 of those listed won't be back next season.  Over 2/3 of the roster from less than 2 years ago has been turned over.  There's not much tearing-down left to do.

If this is not an effort to tank, help us god. 

Positives - I saw Mccann Make two pretty solid hits, one overturned Corrado. Forget which but Sedin was mixing it up, and as far as they go, he basically fought. For all the people talking about a gutless performance and they didnt show up.... Guys are 34 and thru thick and thin are out there scrapping Komarov and getting points on the board. Miller doesnt seem to see the puck as good as Markstrom or other solid NHL goalies, but, when he does, he does very well. Horvat was sitting in the hallway in his gear by himself when i streamed the game. They were waiting to interview Henrik and Horvat got up and went into the dressing room. This Lad is full of passion, probably frustration, but atleast he gives a $&!#. Seriously last year i HATED Hansen, doesnt mean i was right but this guy is a guy who shows up and now not only puts up on the scoreboard but makes the odd hit and comes in when one of his guys is in a scuffle. He hasnt mixed words and scored 2 or 3 goals when we played toronto in november (one called back i think). Thatcher Demko. 

Negatives - Burrows, where did you go? Vrbata are you pouting or old? I like Hutton and Tanev on D, what else do we have top 6? Jim Benning brought in Zalewski, Bartkowski, Cracknell, Prust, Basically a bunch of filler guys to provide depth and bring up the Virtanens, Horvats and shinkaruks. I dont see these guys playing much more of a role than temps.( Baert is a nice pickup and Sbisa is easily most improved.)

With the trade clauses this Tank, implosion or natural path HAD to happen to get guys to waive and either show the owners the true state of the club or to get picks. We sure arent doing well at showing the value of our players. Yes its a business but the right thing is the right thing, success = money. Owners arent hockey pros and their input is usually hurtful to their own bottom line. Yes people get rich at buisness, yes hockey is a buisness but professional sports require understanding chemistry and teaching your players who to win. You must somehow night after night make them think its life or death and get the adrenaline pumping. Yelling works for while, inspiration works longer. This club has been doing very well, all things considered for sometime. They could possibly not be showing their hand and are likely much smarter than message board guys, and waay ahead of the curve. They are still getting virtanen and mccann lots of minutes while higgins and prust sit in utica. Why arent friesen, pedan and shinkaruk getting time on the team? Because there is a long term plan. I think Travis Green is the coach next year, Markstron establishes as a bonafide #1 and The Canucks land a true #1 D man, who knows, might as well dream.

12 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Miller and Vrbata were signed as placeholders and expiring soon, and Hamhuis is a pending UFA.  Probably at least 2 of those listed won't be back next season.  Over 2/3 of the roster from less than 2 years ago has been turned over.  There's not much tearing-down left to do.

There are still players on the team, such as Burrows and Edler (from the previous core), who could be moved for a mutually beneficial purpose. 

Moving Vrbata should be a forgone conclusion at this point as he (from his play at the very least) has checked out completely. 

Miller, while somewhat of a whiner, is a real canary in the mineshaft regarding how absolutely pathetic the Canucks defense is. All the same, he should go. He still has game in him, but Markstrom is ready for the mantle. 

A team so deeply entrenched in a transitional phase as the Canucks are right now, have no reason to battle for a playoff spot. They don't have the horses to make even one leg of the trip. 

If the Aquilinis can't see that, hopefully they can do the fanbase a favour and sell the team, so that owners with an actual game plan can entrust the direction to the staff hired to do so. 

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

There are still players on the team, such as Burrows and Edler (from the previous core), who could be moved for a mutually beneficial purpose. 

Moving Vrbata should be a forgone conclusion at this point as he (from his play at the very least) has checked out completely. 

Miller, while somewhat of a whiner, is a real canary in the mineshaft regarding how absolutely pathetic the Canucks defense is. All the same, he should go. He still has game in him, but Markstrom is ready for the mantle. 

Again -- Miller and Vrbata were signed by Benning as placeholders.  Burrows, Edler, and the Sedins (with Hamhuis, Hansen, and Tanev) are about all that remains of the old team.

Kesler, Bieksa, Higgins, Garrison, Mattias, Kassian, Richardson, Booth, Stanton, Sestito, Lack, and a number of other minor parts are already gone.  Short of trading the Sedins (which almost certainly will not happen) there's only maybe 3-4 left to move.  That's not a "tear-down", that's taking down the last wall.

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Rebuild needed to start well before the Torts hiring. What Torts said was true, this team was stale and needed change and youth. 

It should have started after we got swept by LA in the playoffs, year after the Stanley Cup run.

This is the third time i've seen this in the last few days. 

People say this but what exactly are you really proposing.  If the "rebuild" was to acquire high draft picks, we actually did that.

In 2013 canucks left the draft with a 9th overall a 24th and followed that with cassels and subban 
in 2014 canucks left the draft with a 6th overall a 24th followed with Tryamkin and Demko.

Flames only picked 3 spots higher than us in 2013 and 2 spots higher than us in 2014.  They were a team came out and admitted they were in a full rebuild.

Add to the fact that we were coming off back to back president trophy winning seasons, what person in the right mind would think, "we just lead the league in points two years in a row, and were 1 game away from winning a cup, now lets become a bottom feeder" 

Canucks also were a team filled with NTC's so it's not as simple as, lets trade everyone....

Also when did canucks get swept by LA?

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

This is the third time i've seen this in the last few days. 

People say this but what exactly are you really proposing.  If the "rebuild" was to acquire high draft picks, we actually did that.

In 2013 canucks left the draft with a 9th overall a 24th and followed that with cassels and subban 
in 2014 canucks left the draft with a 6th overall a 24th followed with Tryamkin and Demko.

Flames only picked 3 spots higher than us in 2013 and 2 spots higher than us in 2014.  They were a team came out and admitted they were in a full rebuild.

Add to the fact that we were coming off back to back president trophy winning seasons, what person in the right mind would think, "we just lead the league in points two years in a row, and were 1 game away from winning a cup, now lets become a bottom feeder" 

Canucks also were a team filled with NTC's so it's not as simple as, lets trade everyone....

Also when did canucks get swept by LA?

You would trade your vets while they had value in return from top tier prospects and lots more pics. 

Last trade deadline Coyotes traded Yandle to NYR for Duclair  a 2nd and a 1st. Traded Vermette to Chicago for Dahlbeck and a 1st. 

That's how you jump start a rebuild.

23 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

You would trade your vets while they had value in return from top tier prospects and lots more pics. 

Last trade deadline Coyotes traded Yandle to NYR for Duclair  a 2nd and a 1st. Traded Vermette to Chicago for Dahlbeck and a 1st. 

That's how you jump start a rebuild.

NTC?  But hey it's not like canucks didn't trade Schnieder, Kesler, Garrison and Luongo.  We've ended up with 5 picks in 3 years.  two in the top 10.  

Again what are you proposing. A team to go from winning b2b PT's to being in the draft lottery sweep stakes?

From what I'm getting, you are stating canucks should have been sellers in the 2012-13 season?  A lock out shorten year where we tried moving Luongo the entire year, a year where we finished with the 8th best record in the league.

2 hours ago, JV77 said:

Without question need to sell.  The young kids need to experience making the playoffs on their own, not being helped with the vets.

Ask the Sedin's out of respect and courtesy if they would want to waive their NTC's for a chance at the cup.  Let them decide.

Asking the Sedins to leave would be disrespectful but I suppose even Gretzky was traded so what the hell right. Imagine getting pick 2 and 3 in this up and coming entry draft for the Sedins to draft Patrick Laine AND Jessie Puljujarvi. Benning needs to make some Bryan Burke-esque moves and make it happen.

4 hours ago, 4thLineGrinder said:

for those of you too young to remember what being a canucks fan felt like during the skate jersey era...

this game was an almost flawless representation of those old tyme feels

We were hapless on the ice then, but this takes downright stupid mismanagement to new lows.

Sure glad I was in the lower bowl for this one.

1 minute ago, Mad_Duck said:

We were hapless on the ice then, but this takes downright stupid mismanagement to new lows.

Sure glad I was in the lower bowl for this one.

:lol: well at least you got to see those epic jerseys i would have loved to have been at this game. Daniel and Baertschi goals in those jerseys would have been worth it for me.

10 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

NTC?  But hey it's not like canucks didn't trade Schnieder, Kesler, Garrison and Luongo.

Again what are you proposing. A team to go from winning b2b PT's to being in the draft lottery sweep stakes?

No, but its an widely accepted fact this team was stale and need infusion of youth. That's what you do you bring in new faces and younger players to keep the energy level up. Bowman was big on that, he used to say you need to have significant turnover every  single year.  Chicago has won 3 Cups and look at all the changes they make from year to year.

Kesler and Garrison were traded by Benning, years after Gillis wanted to start a retool, but ownership refused to let him. Schneider and Luongo affair was a mess and we ended up losing both goalies. Would you rather have Miller at 6 mill or Luongo at 5.3 mill?

Gillis said so himself on Team 1040 that he wanted to start getting younger but owners didn't let him. Which of course is their right because they are the owners and they get to decide the direction of the team.

1 minute ago, Aleksander Barkov said:

:lol: well at least you got to see those epic jerseys i would have loved to have been at this game. Daniel and Baertschi goals in those jerseys would have been worth it for me.

Bought one after the first, Daniel scored his pretty goal, I turned to my buddy and said "Hey Cool, Lucky Jersey......" :P

4 hours ago, Nucks-4-Life said:

Why is everyone complaining? The goal from the onset of this season was a top 3 pick.

Tonight was another step in the right direction.

If you can't bare to watch them tank, then don't watch the games. But this MUST be done.

This is worse than tanking.  I can accept tanking.  This is trying to be good but just plain sucking while bleeding draft picks.

25 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

It doesn't matter if Aquilini wants to make the playoffs or not...water eventually reaches its lowest point,and you can't get blood out of a stone....The team is what it is...

I hope that this is not the case with ownership..

Ownership got rid of Burke though he was doing a good job and there were rumblings that they weren't letting Gillis get younger either.  We can blame the coaches or GM's all we want, but they are working with one hand tied behind their backs thanks to Aquilini.

Archived