The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

#InBenningITrust, do you ?

Positive Canuck

I still trust Benning to build us a beauty. Do you ?  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are you saying we have a few more years of middle of the pack before we need to tear it down?  Why not just start the tear down now, and save these years of sliding to the bottom slowly?  

You don't disappoint Alf.  Obtuse as always :towel:

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 4:55 PM, Positive Canuck said:

I'm in the minority but i'm not hating on Jim at all. 

I never saw a market for our garbage and didn't spend a second wasted on deadline day.

Vrbata is a complete joke, every team in the league knows it. Zero Value.

Hamhuis.  Last 2 years a train wreck, mistake laden soft pylon that was badly injured during his showcase window and told everyone he didn't want to leave Vancouver. Nice guy tho and came back well all things considered. I do respect his comeback, a ton.

Burrows. A ghost at less than %10 opacity barely visible. Buyout, waive,. 

Higgins. Zero Value.

Prust. Zero Value.

Weber. etc....

We have this grotesque sense of entitlement in this market when what we need is to allow one of the best talent evaluators in the world do his job and build us a playoff built team capable of playing any way you want it.

I look at Demko,Boeser,Virtanen,McCann and i see good things on the horizon.

Well put!!

Throw in Edler's disastrous contract (and memories of dumping Luongo for change) and you have said all that needs to be said about the entitlements/bad situation these guys inherited. 

JB's drafting and a couple of key moves show the way to the future: Demko, Virtanen, McCann, Boeser, Tryamkin, and then the pick up of Pedan.  Skill, size, and an unusually good mix of shooters. 

On March 5, 2016 at 3:20 PM, gameburn said:

Well put!!

Throw in Edler's disastrous contract (and memories of dumping Luongo for change) and you have said all that needs to be said about the entitlements/bad situation these guys inherited. 

JB's drafting and a couple of key moves show the way to the future: Demko, Virtanen, McCann, Boeser, Tryamkin, and then the pick up of Pedan.  Skill, size, and an unusually good mix of shooters. 

thanks !!

i agree, Benning has started to build us a beauty , hopefully he can trade some dudes for picks at the draft and get more pieces in the cupboard.

looking forward to the Tryamkin announcement tomorrow !

1 hour ago, Positive Canuck said:

thanks !!

i agree, Benning has started to build us a beauty , hopefully he can trade some dudes for picks at the draft and get more pieces in the cupboard.

looking forward to the Tryamkin announcement tomorrow !

Me too.  Tryamkin is useful if she just clears the front of the net and defends well.  If he can pass the puck quickly on to Hutton or a centre then we're on our way.  Benning has suggested that T makes a good first pass.  I've seen Tryamkin on youtube and he looks like he can keep up with KHL skaters so I think he should be fast enough. 

On 2016-03-03 at 8:49 PM, clam linguine said:

We need a GM who understands that we need to cash in the Sedins, Hansen and Edler for picks now. (too late for Hamhuis, Vrbata, Burrows, etc).  I am sure JB doesn't have the will or ability to take on that kind of job.

Right now, we still have some options, By this time next year, our only realistic option for improvement could be hoping for  draft lottery magic.

Maybe we need Brian Burke to come back. He bringeth, and he taketh away.

You do understand what a no trade clause is don't you?

11 hours ago, Wise Owl said:

You do understand what a no trade clause is don't you?

This is why Benning and ownership isn't up to the job of moving out assets. They are afraid of the response of the unwashed masses who have bought into their marketing machine.  They are afraid  of you, but they are also lazy. Guys like Burke have the energy and vision to find solutions. Well, maybe Benning can too, we will see.

A no trade clause means that if management wants to trade a player, they must create an environment where the player wants to be traded  Did you know that?

17 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

This is why Benning and ownership isn't up to the job of moving out assets. They are afraid of the response of the unwashed masses who have bought into their marketing machine.  They are afraid  of you, but they are also lazy. Guys like Burke have the energy and vision to find solutions. Well, maybe Benning can too, we will see.

A no trade clause means that management wants to trade a player, they must create an environment where the player wants to be traded  Did you know that?

Burke messed up TO big time.  Terrible example.

Teams that screw around vets and manipulate NTCs will find themselves on the 'no go list' for UFAs. The team doesn't need to develop a bad reputation with the league players.

JB has traded Garrison, Bieksa, Kesler and sent Higgins to the minors.  Vrbata and Hamhuis NTC end with this season. Miller and Burrows will be off the books after next season (or sooner). 

That leaves the Sedins, Hansen, Edler and Sutter.  Sedins' well deserved NMC expires 2 years and nobody knows what will happen after that, while Hansen's LNTC is an easy trade at the next TDL. Edler will be the toughest to move, as he still has a several years left (and apparently doesn't want to leave).  Sutter's NTC becomes a LNTC in a couple of years. 

I don't see NTC as a problem going forward.

I wonder if Benning is working for the Canucks or the league.

A protracted rebuild where the Nucks languish in the middle barely making the playoffs allows for other less well financed teams to be more competitive and in the states, make more money.

I guess Linden and company recognized the team isn't ready for prime time at the town hall meeting but still insisted that a controlled effort to bolster the club via the draft, like Buffalo and Toronto and Tampa and Pittsburgh and .... have done if the past won't work.

These guys are supposed to be "geniuses" at hockey and building teams, but still are ignoring that most all successful teams in the league dived to the bottom and resurged to the top. I guess they think that was just a fluke or something, even though it seems to happen more often than not.

I would like them to list the number of cup champs that didn't have a top three pick on them. Or anyone for that matter. Detroit it must be noted was milking the European league years before anyone else and that program doesn't work anymore, they're riding out those years now.  

I worry that with the number 2 pick they will take a dman or something stupid like that, that they won't bother to try to improve any draft position, that they will trade away a promising prospect for another reclamation project, that they might turn down a deal because they think they could make the playoffs next year.

Is there another unwritten rule that states a team has to take turns being in the playoffs? 

8 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I wonder if Benning is working for the Canucks or the league.

A protracted rebuild where the Nucks languish in the middle barely making the playoffs allows for other less well financed teams to be more competitive and in the states, make more money.

Propaganda garbage got no time for this.

I guess Linden and company recognized the team isn't ready for prime time at the town hall meeting but still insisted that a controlled effort to bolster the club via the draft, like Buffalo and Toronto and Tampa and Pittsburgh and .... have done if the past won't work.
Every team should be striving for the playoffs in the beginning of the year. Draft and Free Agency a team changes a lot but either way the competitive nature of a team should always be to get into the playoffs. However a rebuilding team shouldn't be trading away prospects // picks for older roster players and the UFA signing needs to be treaded cautiously

These guys are supposed to be "geniuses" at hockey and building teams, but still are ignoring that most all successful teams in the league dived to the bottom and resurged to the top. I guess they think that was just a fluke or something, even though it seems to happen more often than not.

Oddly enough they are 8th worst and easily can become bottom 5 with a couple of losing streaks... These "geniuses" seem to be doing something right in terms of your logic... That said the draft lottery has the potential to be more rewarding for those middle of the pack teams anyways. 3 shots and moving to top 3 is a huge difference.

I would like them to list the number of cup champs that didn't have a top three pick on them. Or anyone for that matter. Detroit it must be noted was milking the European league years before anyone else and that program doesn't work anymore, they're riding out those years now.  

I worry that with the number 2 pick they will take a dman or something stupid like that, that they won't bother to try to improve any draft position, that they will trade away a promising prospect for another reclamation project, that they might turn down a deal because they think they could make the playoffs next year.

Why would you worry exactly? has any pick Benning made disappointed you yet? And they targeted players they felt they want that's a strategy that all GMs employ, is Baertschi so bad ? still early on Granlund but I haven't been disappointed.. Hell even Vey has looked pretty good as of late.

Is there another unwritten rule that states a team has to take turns being in the playoffs? 

Technically yes ? Salary cap + 30 teams and only 16 playoff spots means that some good teams will miss and some mediocre teams will squeak in.

17 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Burke messed up TO big time.  Terrible example.

Teams that screw around vets and manipulate NTCs will find themselves on the 'no go list' for UFAs. The team doesn't need to develop a bad reputation with the league players.

That leaves the Sedins, Hansen, Edler and Sutter.  Sedins' well deserved NMC expires 2 years and nobody knows what will happen after that, while Hansen's LNTC is an easy trade at the next TDL. Edler will be the toughest to move, as he still has a several years left (and apparently doesn't want to leave).  Sutter's NTC becomes a LNTC in a couple of years. 

I don't see NTC as a problem going forward.

Burke get things done, he is smart guy, though I am sure he is not perfect and not coming to rescue us.

Players follow money. This reputation concern is a manufactured issue, no worries.  

Sedins' well deserved NMC......LMAO!   That's is the issue, isn't it?

Management decided to sell them as members of the community more than as hockey players, now we are paying the price with a large portion of the fan base that is more interested in social engineering experiments then winning hockey games.  The Sedins have earned nothing other than the huge contracts they have signed over the years. They also earned the right to use their NMCs to their advantage going forward.

We should move them at he entry draft this year for the highest pick(s) possible, and let the rebuild accelerate exponentially! 

There are plenty of potential landing spots for them, so don't be boring.

I would say to Benning: Don't worry bout the trade deadline anymore. What's past is past.

You need to spend all you time scouting and preparing for the draft! That is what you can work on now. We need to know all the players available and you need to pick out the cream of the crop! That is what we need from you.

On 3/3/2016 at 8:44 PM, kingofsurrey said:

I love the fact that JB gets ripped for not trading Vrbata.

Vrbata has the worst plus minus in the entire  NHL    

LOL, why would any team want the worst minus player in the entire league on their team ???

LOL - i heard a rumor that the canucks were offering Vrbata and a  5th for  nothing and still nobody wanted him on their team.

Hard to trade a player that has negative value .  I guess you could ask why is Vrbata still on the canucks... I would rather have Higgins or Prust on the team than Vrbata....  Just sayin. 

WELL SAID. He has the worst plus minus in the league. Hell, it's becasue of him that Bo Horvat has a terrible plus minus this season, despite playing admirably pretty much all season. He had an expensive contract and at the time, he was injured! You can't control injuries, that's just part of luck. But you tell me, which GM would be dumb enough to take a gamble like that, on a player having a bad season by his standards, and has question marks on his health...

And sorry people but ownership gets a degree in say. We don't like ti as fans, but they want their money. It's a business with the end goal being making money. They put enormous pressure on JB to win games, not tank, and then use his drafting expertise to still get us quality prospects and players. He really doesn't have that much say in whether the team tanks, or not. He gets his orders, "go out and win," and he does it to the best of his ability. If he doesn't, he gets fired. Sorry people, but get used to it.

10 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

Burke get things done, he is smart guy, though I am sure he is not perfect and not coming to rescue us.

Players follow money. This reputation concern is a manufactured issue, no worries.  

Sedins' well deserved NMC......LMAO!   That's is the issue, isn't it?

Management decided to sell them as members of the community more than as hockey players, now we are paying the price with a large portion of the fan base that is more interested in social engineering experiments then winning hockey games.  The Sedins have earned nothing other than the huge contracts they have signed over the years. They also earned the right to use their NMCs to their advantage going forward.

We should move them at he entry draft this year for the highest pick(s) possible, and let the rebuild accelerate exponentially! 

There are plenty of potential landing spots for them, so don't be boring.

Horrid, absolutely disgusting.

Sedins have been 70+ point season guys pretty much every year.. they have been our only franchise players in the last 5-6 years since Naslund and they have always been signed to a good value to their point production. Hell even Kane has comparable point totals to what the Sedins accrued and Kane gets 10m... versus 7m..

I have little against Burke. He's a good hockey guy but I think he gets into biased positions about certain players and pushes them out the door. Pretty much what he did with Baertschi, and I believe he was the guy who wanted Phaneuf in Toronto.

I'll stand by Benning for another 2 years and review what he's done. It pretty much hinges on how Baertschi / Boeser / Virtanen pans out in the near future but you know what, so far so good.

3 minutes ago, goblix said:

Horrid, absolutely disgusting.

Whats wrong with moving hockey players? 

Sedins have been 70+ point season guys pretty much every year.. they have been our only franchise players in the last 5-6 years since Naslund and they have always been signed to a good value to their point production. Hell even Kane has comparable point totals to what the Sedins accrued and Kane gets 10m... versus 7m..

They whined to be drafted together, canucks complied... They underperformed for 6 years , canucks coddled them...they pout if they don't play together, canucks oblige...they even pick their linemates now, it goes on and on. They can leave now. Its OK.

I have little against Burke. He's a good hockey guy but I think he gets into biased positions about certain players and pushes them out the door. True

Pretty much what he did with Baertschi, and I believe he was the guy who wanted Phaneuf in Toronto.

I'll stand by Benning for another 2 years and review what he's done. It pretty much hinges on how Baertschi / Boeser / Virtanen pans out in the near future but you know what, so far so good. Sounds good..lets hope he gets things done.

Archived