The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

College free agents

1 minute ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

Only say concerned as that's the system. He's fully within his right to go back and not sign. There's nothing the Canucks can do about it. As such, GMJB has to protect the team. If he thinks Gateig is a legit NHL prospect then he's got to pull him in. Oh, and Drake too please. 

yep. I understand the system. it's unfortunate in that sense. but yeah. I still think Demko signs this summer. 

as for Drake. probably isn't going to sign with us. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed with Chicago. sigh. Chicago seems to win even when they don't win. 

Gateig could be a good depth guy for the Canucks. dunno if he's gonna be a starter in the NHL. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

yep. I understand the system. it's unfortunate in that sense. but yeah. I still think Demko signs this summer. 

as for Drake. probably isn't going to sign with us. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed with Chicago. sigh. Chicago seems to win even when they don't win. 

Gateig could be a good depth guy for the Canucks. dunno if he's gonna be a starter in the NHL. 

I hope he does as well. 

Never er know though ... we don't know what he really values. Maybe he loves the idea of playing with Stecher and Boeser. Maybe the Canucks offer a faster path to the big club. It's all speculative. 

Im fine with a depth move. I'm in the camp you build the roster, with purpose, down to the last man. There should be a plan in place for everyone. 

17 minutes ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

I hope he does as well. 

Never er know though ... we don't know what he really values. Maybe he loves the idea of playing with Stecher and Boeser. Maybe the Canucks offer a faster path to the big club. It's all speculative. 

Im fine with a depth move. I'm in the camp you build the roster, with purpose, down to the last man. There should be a plan in place for everyone. 

Yah. And that's a good plan too. That everyone knows what their role is on the team. Not quite sure that's where the Canucks are at, but I am hoping that Benning and company is moving and working towards that. 

I'm still surprised Oksanen isn't getting talked about at all. Usually BU and BC guys have scouts and insiders al over them after their 4th year.

I haven't even heard of one team that's in on him right now. It's kind of strange. Sure his numbers weren't amazing, but he's got good size and he's a versatile player. Surely some teams are interested?

37 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Are the Canucks even in the running for Drake?

Yes they are.

It sounds like it's down to 6 teams. Vancouver, Edmonton, Chicago, Philly, Ottawa, Buffalo.

Vancouver - chance to play with Boeser plus opportunity in Van

Edmonton - chance to play with McDavid in new arena

Chicago - chance to play with Schmaltz but a tougher lineup to crack

Philly - Former UND coach is now the Flyers head coach

Ottawa and Buffalo - both have young teams with opportunity

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I'm still surprised Oksanen isn't getting talked about at all. Usually BU and BC guys have scouts and insiders al over them after their 4th year.

I haven't even heard of one team that's in on him right now. It's kind of strange. Sure his numbers weren't amazing, but he's got good size and he's a versatile player. Surely some teams are interested?

I agree could be waiting for a domino or two to fall like caggiula and the team that loses out may then  circle to him. I wouldnt be opposed to offering him a deal now though.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Yes they are.

It sounds like it's down to 6 teams. Vancouver, Edmonton, Chicago, Philly, Ottawa, Buffalo.

Vancouver - chance to play with Boeser plus opportunity in Van

Edmonton - chance to play with McDavid in new arena

Chicago - chance to play with Schmaltz but a tougher lineup to crack

Philly - Former UND coach is now the Flyers head coach

Ottawa and Buffalo - both have young teams with opportunity

Chance to play with Boeser and Stecher. Hopefully that's a incentive to sign with us. Not a big guy but he reminds me of Pavelski. If we goes to Edmonton he obviously didn't learn any common sense in college. 

Signing Stecher and drafting Boeser is a good attempt to convince Caggiula to sign with Van. Chicago lineup may be harder to crack. Maybe they go after Oksanen if they fail to land Drake. Could you imagine Oksanan,  Granlund and maybe Laine/Puljujarvi as a potential line? Signing Gateig wouldn't be a bad idea just in case Demko doesn't sign here.

2 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Sorry I don't really understand what your asking or implying? 

I don't get why these college drafted guys are considered anything but potential UFAs.  The top end guys, who mature early (Boeser) will certainly come out early.  For them it makes financial sense to do so.  For a lot of the other guys, what is the insentive?  Do players burn years off their ELC playing in the minors?  

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don't get why these college drafted guys are considered anything but potential UFAs.  The top end guys, who mature early (Boeser) will certainly come out early.  For them it makes financial sense to do so.  For a lot of the other guys, what is the insentive?  Do players burn years off their ELC playing in the minors?  

I see what your saying but Demko has a good chance to develop here. Everything is layed out for him perfectly. 2 years in Utica then backup for a few seasons. Unless he's Roy 2.0. 

I think he will sign soon but you never know I guess?

Im greedy I want Demko and Cagguila.. If we got those two plus Stecher and then hopefully get Mathews or Laine our rebuild only needs a top Dman and our rebuild is basically done in 2 years. 

5 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

I see what your saying but Demko has a good chance to develop here. Everything is layed out for him perfectly. 2 years in Utica then backup for a few seasons. Unless he's Roy 2.0. 

I think he will sign soon but you never know I guess?

Im greedy I want Demko and Cagguila.. If we got those two plus Stecher and then hopefully get Mathews or Laine our rebuild only needs a top Dman and our rebuild is basically done in 2 years. 

That would be great.  Maybe, if Demko is good from the start, we could trade Markstom?  

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That would be great.  Maybe, if Demko is good from the start, we could trade Markstom?  

I feel too many are looking past Markstrom.

Marky mark is one of the better young goalies in the league, and will improve with experience.  I personally have zero issue with committing to Markstrom as our #1 for the long haul.  Demko has some pedigree for sure, but so did Markstrom....

Demko should play next year in Utica, then the plan imo would be for him to back up Markstrom for 2 years.  Thatd be the point when you have a decision to make, but I still think markstrom can be one of the top goaltenders in the league, and still the wide majority of his career ahead of him.

While you could potentially get a return of assets of either netminder, it could easily be a Quick/Jones situation by that time, where youre able to accrue a 1st+ for the up and comer.

2 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I feel too many are looking past Markstrom.

Marky mark is one of the better young goalies in the league, and will improve with experience.  I personally have zero issue with committing to Markstrom as our #1 for the long haul.  Demko has some pedigree for sure, but so did Markstrom....

Demko should play next year in Utica, then the plan imo would be for him to back up Markstrom for 2 years.  Thatd be the point when you have a decision to make, but I still think markstrom can be one of the top goaltenders in the league, and still the wide majority of his career ahead of him.

While you could potentially get a return of assets of either netminder, it could easily be a Quick/Jones situation by that time, where youre able to accrue a 1st+ for the up and comer.

Yes, that's a good plan.  Demko is clearly a smart guy, and he's got smart hockey people advising him too.  How do we get him to sign with us, considering the scenario you layer out?  

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, that's a good plan.  Demko is clearly a smart guy, and he's got smart hockey people advising him too.  How do we get him to sign with us, considering the scenario you layer out?  

.  From what I've gleaned, he and his family have a great respect and passion for education.  THAT is the decision he's contemplating.  The guy has already done 3 years and likely has some pressure from his parents to finish up his Phyc Major.  If only just one more year, why not just getter done?, and hell have something to fall back on once his playing career comes to an end.  It makes sense IMO if it's something he enjoys and wants to do, and really sets up the "bigger picture" in his life.

The only thing Benning and co. can do is perhaps set up a correspondence coarse in Utica.  Perhaps they can even hire out a Professor to advise him...  idk if thats even possible...  The AHL schedule is set up so that he would have lots of time to study.  Games generally fall on weekends, back to backs O plenty.  I dont see why he couldnt finish up his school at the same time, but again...   I have no idea if its possible to complete a Major through correspondence. 

If they make him feel like he can finish his degree with confidence while turning pro and getting ahead on developing his game in the A and make some good cash, then I think it's something that his family would go for.  It's an interesting debate for sure, and why it's taking a while to consider.

My bet is that he signs next week.

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 7:35 AM, DeNiro said:

I have plugged that same question in other threads?  I like Oksanen.

6'3'', 210lbs, good speed. A wicked shot.

Maybe he wants to go back to defence, and the concept has too many questions?

Archived