The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

College free agents

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Looks like Chicago is going to get their hands on another free asset...

Sigh...what else is new?

Don't mention that to Z Hockey, as he believes the Hawks have terrible asset management. Thinks that getting "free assets" for cheap doesn't count.

1 hour ago, Gooseberries said:

How the hell is Edmonton always a finalist for these guys? Gretzkys phone bill must be through the god damn roof. 

Maybe it's because they are at the bottom of the league, and need players, so they can offer a legitimate opportunity for the player to make the Big Team?

2 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

How the hell is Edmonton always a finalist for these guys? Gretzkys phone bill must be through the god damn roof. 

Because after every season the media hypes up the Oilers and how good they'll be again with their next 1st overall pick.

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports  5m5 minutes ago

Have been told the #Canucks are 1 of many teams talking with Quinnipiac goalie Michael Garteig, the kid from Prince George, B.C.

Can only imagine #Canucks talking to Garteig as backup in case Demko doesn't sign in Vancouver.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

Canucks should make every effort to sign Garteig IMO. I think it's fair to be 'concerned' Demko won't sign. Either way it's up to GMJB to build goalie depth in the system. 

I understand the anxiety surrounding Demko as fans. but let's give it some time before actually panicking. lol. I don't see why Demko wouldn't sign with the Canucks. he's got a good opportunity here. we have developed goalies well here for a while now. even Markstrom has to be a good story. when he was in Florida. he was floundering. and he was at the time considered the best goalie not in the NHL. he's been recovered as a player and his confidence probably at an all time high. he's gonna be a very good goalie for us moving forward. I don't think that's been out of Demko's head. he's seen how goalies have been developed here. I believe there is a very good chance at him signing this summer. doesn't make sense if he doesn't. there's nothing more for him to learn at the collegiate level. he probably needs some seasoning down in the AHL. but I don't think he needs much. probably a year. at the most perhaps 2 before given NHL back up duties with the club. 

if I had to guess. I would say he signs with the Canucks next week or the week after. probably close to the end of the month. 

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Have been told the #Canucks are 1 of many teams talking with Quinnipiac goalie Michael Garteig, the kid from Prince George, B.C.

Can only imagine #Canucks talking to Garteig as backup in case Demko doesn't sign in Vancouver.

wouldn't be a bad thing to have more goalie depth. could be sent down to the AHL to be their starting goalie for a few years before seeing what the kid has to be a goalie in the NHL. 

15 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I understand the anxiety surrounding Demko as fans. but let's give it some time before actually panicking. lol. I don't see why Demko wouldn't sign with the Canucks. he's got a good opportunity here. we have developed goalies well here for a while now. even Markstrom has to be a good story. when he was in Florida. he was floundering. and he was at the time considered the best goalie not in the NHL. he's been recovered as a player and his confidence probably at an all time high. he's gonna be a very good goalie for us moving forward. I don't think that's been out of Demko's head. he's seen how goalies have been developed here. I believe there is a very good chance at him signing this summer. doesn't make sense if he doesn't. there's nothing more for him to learn at the collegiate level. he probably needs some seasoning down in the AHL. but I don't think he needs much. probably a year. at the most perhaps 2 before given NHL back up duties with the club. 

if I had to guess. I would say he signs with the Canucks next week or the week after. probably close to the end of the month. 

Only say concerned as that's the system. He's fully within his right to go back and not sign. There's nothing the Canucks can do about it. As such, GMJB has to protect the team. If he thinks Gateig is a legit NHL prospect then he's got to pull him in. Oh, and Drake too please. 

Archived