The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Post Game Comment: "Daniel Sedin: "From some guys right now, the effort is not there."

b3.

We get beat to some many loose pucks its embarassing. It's not that the young players aren't good enough it's that it takes then a sec or 2 to realize that the puck is loose and to go battle for it. With the Veterans you immediately see them looking for the loose and and pouncing on it. This extra half second is whats costing us procession time.

Some players have figured this out, like Virtanen and Hutton but a majority of the other young guys haven't figured out that you can't give 50% effort and come out with the puck in the NHL. Virtanen looks like he's running out of gas, which is kind of what you expect from a rookie who isn't used to heavy game of the NHL.

I think we see someone like Etem sitting in the press box once some of the injuried guys return to the lineup. He seems to be too comfortable and isn't playing the heavy type of game he was brought into play. McCann has been god awful of late, its obvious that his body wasn't ready for the NHL and that he should start the year in Utica.

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

Good point. I really do not know who Daniel is talking about. It looks to me like most guys are trying hard on the ice at least. It is pretty obvious that Miller, Marky, Hammer and Tryamkin are working hard on and off the ice. I would say the same the same about Baertschi. I think the bigger issue is talent, injuries and fatigue.

(Drivel removed by mod)

You have absolutely no basis for this drivel. 

There has FOR SURE been games when players have clearly taken the game off ...think Boston and TO just off the top of my head. Hockey is a game where team work is essential and some times obvious when players aren't putting out. So  I think Daniel, sitting right there on thr bench,  can clearly see laggards. If the Sedins have been any thing it's fact they are consistent in their approach it can't always work but effort has never been a problem for them. It must hurt when they see others thinking about the Roxy while the game is still going on

12 hours ago, clam linguine said:

To be honest, I would have said it was the Sedins who weren't working as hard as they could. And I was happy.

Hank has been obviously playing through injury for most of the year...If you can't see that then well I can't help you

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

You have absolutely no basis for this drivel. 

I agree (and had missed this).

Don't think we need it here and will rectify that, in keeping with the rules about player's personal lives.  Especially the unfounded, baseless stuff.  Can be so damaging!

2 hours ago, Blackberries said:

Honestly there has been many nights were the kids carried the team and the vets were invisible. 

Poor form by Daniel.

Totally agree! 

I've have been very frustrated by some of the weak efforts by the vets including the Twins lately.  Coasting off to change, lazy plays on the puck and careless, lazy passing leading to turnovers and scoring chances.  The Twins have been at least as guilty as our youth on many occasions.

For guys who rely on the rest of the team to make up for their lack of speed and grit, calling out your teammates like that is in bad taste and may do more to worsen the disconnect than strengthen the team.

17 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

It's hard to figure out who he's referring to. Obviously the D comes to mind, but as far as forwards go... McCann? Horvat and Baertschi are both working hard. Virtanen perhaps? Etem maybe. Vey's been working hard as well. 

I don't know that we should try.   Pointless, and it seems unfair.  Young guys, just getting started...will be some learning curves along the way.  Don't know that they need people weighing in as they figure it out.  Seems counter productive to me to have to name names or single people out.  There is no I in team, so if there are any issues related to young guys feeling their oats it's likely just growing pains and premature to get worked up about it.  I don't know why we have to pounce (oh yes, because the media told us to).  That stuff snowballs in an unfortunate way.

The Sedins will be a huge part of that process and in setting the tone (as they're just doing now).  Should be behind the scenes...but with microphones shoved in faces in dressing rooms, well, some stuff is shared..  Just wish the media wasn't involved in the process, that's all.  I feel this is just normal stuff and it gets blown up when it gets leaked out there.

Do we really want to do this?  Dissect things so early on and, in doing so, add extra pressure to an already difficult thing for some (transitioning into the big leagues).  I'd prefer to let them work it out, with the Sedins as part of that.  Setting the bar and doing what they need to do to make sure it doesn't become a problem in a proactive way (that's what I take away from it all).  Not a *gaspOMG" way.  At this point, it's part of transitioning and a natural crossroad for some as they have to pick to go all in here or dabble.  Over time we'll know which path they'll be on but, for me, it's ridiculous to assess that now.  Or to hone in on it in an individual way.  FAR too early to decide.

They can tap into their potential or flake out and be flash in the pans.  That goes for any player on any team.  But a witchhunt doesn't seem supportive in extracting the best out of our players .... seems it could be more damaging than anything.  I want them to succeed, so I don't feel the need to throw them under the bus.  Yet.  :)

8 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

McCann has looked like garbage for a while now. Virtanen has been coasting these past couple of games too. Can't really think of anyone else really slacking.

The thing is we knew McCann would hit a wall on account of him not being as developed as Jake and yet people are calling him out for it. That's the only issue I really saw other than the same mistakes kids make in general.

He needs to be in the gym all summer

9 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Anyone know why Virt took down the Bieber photos?

My guess would be that they attract a lot of attention - some is likely negative and directed in a "fan boy" way because people are idiots?  Just look what happened to him after the World Juniors.  People like to line others up and place a target on their backs and sometimes innocent stuff gets mindlessly scrutinized.  People do that on the internet...like to chime in and some of it's ugly.  I think we're reaching here and there's nothing significant.  Maybe a little teasing.   Sigh

12 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

"I think those guys know who they are".

As the Captain, if he has guys he doesn't think are pulling their weight...they should bloody well be hearing from him about it.  As Captain, he should make damn sure they know who they are. 

Modern coaching seems to leave a lot of motivational and energy stuff to "the room".  It is the leadership group and particularly the captain that needs to call out these guys.

I think you are reading that comment the wrong way..

they know who they are, and I'm positive they have been told behind closed doors and that's why "they know"

Hank is a great leader and so is Danny.  Neither of these guys are going to spew it to the Neanderthal media types we have here. :) 

Just now, TheOgRook said:

I think you are reading that comment the wrong way..

they know who they are, and I'm positive they have been told behind closed doors and that's why "they know"

Hank is a great leader and so is Danny.  Neither of these guys are going to spew it to the Neanderthal media types we have here. :) 

I get his frustration..I'm there myself.  I just think the combination of injuries, youth being brought in before they are ready and the fact that all our vets have throughout the year been guilty of lazy efforts makes it counter-productive to call anyone out.

I mean is there any better example of a lazy effort than Hank's play that was a fraction of a second from costing a goal? How about Hammer's careless, soft pass up the middle that cost a goat the other night? 

The rookies have the excuse of youth and inepxerience.  Our vets have no excuse for not coming to play every night and little justification for pointing fingers elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

McCann has looked like garbage for a while now. Virtanen has been coasting these past couple of games too. Can't really think of anyone else really slacking.

I wish ppl would re word these kind of comments when referring to kids..  No he doesn't look like "garbage". He looks like a kid, one that needs more time to develop.  

Now if if you want to say Vrbata looks like garbage that's fine ;)  

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I get his frustration..I'm there myself.  I just think the combination of injuries, youth being brought in before they are ready and the fact that all our vets have throughout the year been guilty of lazy efforts makes it counter-productive to call anyone out.

I mean is there any better example of a lazy effort than Hank's play that was a fraction of a second from costing a goal? How about Hammer's careless, soft pass up the middle that cost a goat the other night? 

The rookies have the excuse of youth and inepxerience.  Our vets have no excuse for not coming to play every night and little justification for pointing fingers elsewhere.

What's funny is, knowing the Sedins.. I bet Danny tore a strip of his brother for that play.  The last couple games for them have not been the greatest.  I'm sure they are talking about guys like Vrbata and even themselves in that mix.  How could any vet really be on the kids at a time like this..

I have to agree with the posters that say we don't know what's going on outside of what we see live on TV. We all know the kind of guy Daniel is, so it's safer to assume something truly is going on rather than assuming he's taking cheap shots or being cowardly about his comments. That's my opinion though. 

Archived