The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Philip Larsen - why so quiet?

X-Man

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I now have a discussion going with one of their sales guys and have him as a connection on LinkedIn. Its funny, he used to work for the Utica Comets before taking this job.

They haven't finalized box prices yet, but I'd love to know how many people would be interested in coming down if we could swing a Canucks box for the first game.

He's going to let me know as soon as he has more information.

Keep on it! I'm going at some point so a box sounds great. Start a topic to gauge interest next year.

So interesting quick take on Larsen today on 1040 by Doug Lidster [http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/lidster-we-have-ten-defensive-spots-open-1.571005] - starts ~3 1/2 minute mark.

Says Larsen "has all the tools" and "not super big" but claims he plays something like Karlsson(!). I don't know how serious the comparison to EK really is but it certainly sounds like they are expecting something good. 

It also sounds like they plan to have a look at 10 or 11 D guys over the course of the year.

8 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

So interesting quick take on Larsen today on 1040 by Doug Lidster [http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/lidster-we-have-ten-defensive-spots-open-1.571005] - starts ~3 1/2 minute mark.

Says Larsen "has all the tools" and "not super big" but claims he plays something like Karlsson(!). I don't know how serious the comparison to EK really is but it certainly sounds like they are expecting something good. 

It also sounds like they plan to have a look at 10 or 11 D guys over the course of the year.

Those are some lofty expectations. Considering he only cost a 5th rounder, It should be a great battle between him and Stetcher. If he gets the right partner and he can replicate his play in the KHL, He will be a great pickup for us.

17 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

If he plays like EK he had better be able to put up comparable points as EK is weak in his own zone. The Sens have one of the worst puck turnover rates in the NHL.

10 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Those are some lofty expectations. Considering he only cost a 5th rounder, It should be a great battle between him and Stetcher. If he gets the right partner and he can replicate his play in the KHL, He will be a great pickup for us.

47 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If he plays like EK he had better be able to put up comparable points as EK is weak in his own zone. The Sens have one of the worst puck turnover rates in the NHL.

This is the Elite Prospects take on him. Edmonton was a gong show at the time, so I'm hoping that was a big part of him leaving for the KHL. 

"Larsen has average size, but other than that, he shows a rather all-around arsenal of skills. He is blessed with good speed, technical skills and very good hockey sense, which is his greatest quality. Really a smart player, that sees openings that many other players are unable to. He plays mature and appears to be relaxed and confident on the ice. Perhaps more noticeable offensively than defensively, but rather solid in his own end, despite having to work with the physical aspect of the game. - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=6006#sthash.2W7b6osW.dpuf"

20 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

This is the Elite Prospects take on him. Edmonton was a gong show at the time, so I'm hoping that was a big part of him leaving for the KHL. 

"Larsen has average size, but other than that, he shows a rather all-around arsenal of skills. He is blessed with good speed, technical skills and very good hockey sense, which is his greatest quality. Really a smart player, that sees openings that many other players are unable to. He plays mature and appears to be relaxed and confident on the ice. Perhaps more noticeable offensively than defensively, but rather solid in his own end, despite having to work with the physical aspect of the game. - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=6006#sthash.2W7b6osW.dpuf"

Benning and co seem quite confident in his ability to come in and contribute, especially on the PP. I'm not expecting EK levels of play but if he can be an improvement on Weber and put up ~30 points and help get our PP out of the basement and even mid-rated.... :towel:

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Benning and co seem quite confident in his ability to come in and contribute, especially on the PP. I'm not expecting EK levels of play but if he can be an improvement on Weber and put up ~30 points and help get our PP out of the basement and even mid-rated.... :towel:

30 would be fantastic. And make him #1 in point production if that was on last years D. 

If the scouting is correct, I'm really interested to see how he moves the puck to the Sedin-Loui line, and maybe he'll be less tentative with the puck than say Edler e.g. If he can do that, and he's a slightly more responsible D partner with Tryamkin than Sbisa, I'd say thats actually a heck of a good use of a 4th pick.

On 9/9/2016 at 1:58 AM, SilentSam said:

I've posted this vid clip from last season of Philip Larsen before..  But we may have grabbed Larsen just as he is going into his prime. His confidence with the puck, skating ability, quick release and ability to hit the net, speaks volumes about his potential.

Because of our physically upgraded cast on D,.. If he makes the team, and is given fair opportunity,. he could quite possibly be the best offensive playmaking and scoring defense man we have had in years.

Thanks for sharing.  Interesting that many / most of his goals appear to be close to the net.  Who's defending?  Ha ha!  He'll be great if he has a solid defensive partner.  If not, it looks like he should be on the second line forward spot!

13 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Thanks for sharing.  Interesting that many / most of his goals appear to be close to the net.  Who's defending?  Ha ha!  He'll be great if he has a solid defensive partner.  If not, it looks like he should be on the second line forward spot!

We've never had a defenceman who can openly  switch to offence and surprise other teams.

In most of the hi-litres I saw of Larsen this past year, his forwards were aware of his tendencies and accommodated his rush to offence and switched their positioning to D.

It works perfectly when all players are on the same page..  Zone coverage/ positional play.  ... If your in that zone, the position is yours.

These kids are so multi-talented these days, and the speed they can generate is fantastic... Hate to see the game slowed down, it's a defensive strategy that makes the game dull.  "eg. The Trap"

Just now, gurn said:

"We've never had a defenceman who can openly  switch to offence and surprise other teams"

Never is a very long time.

Reinhart, Jovo, and Erhoff may disagree with you.

Kearns was the best.  

We have never had an elite defense man, is maybe his point?

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Reinhart was an elite d-man. Jovo, Erhoff, Ohlund(pre eye injury), Lidster, and Edler(pre back injury) were close.

He's the best we ever had for sure.  He was old and had a bad back when we got him though.  Like Edler is now, sort of.  But Reinhart had far better hands and vision.  IMHAO

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

Reinhart was an elite d-man. Jovo, Erhoff, Ohlund(pre eye injury), Lidster, and Edler(pre back injury) were close.

Bourdon...we'll never know :(

I'll also add that Salo is criminally underrated around here.

Lumme was pretty damn good too.

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

We've never had a defenceman who can openly  switch to offence and surprise other teams.

In most of the hi-litres I saw of Larsen this past year, his forwards were aware of his tendencies and accommodated his rush to offence and switched their positioning to D.

It works perfectly when all players are on the same page..  Zone coverage/ positional play.  ... If your in that zone, the position is yours.

These kids are so multi-talented these days, and the speed they can generate is fantastic... Hate to see the game slowed down, it's a defensive strategy that makes the game dull.  "eg. The Trap"

Yes but a defenseman camped out in front of the net makes an NHL coach cringe!

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Yes but a defenseman camped out in front of the net makes an NHL coach cringe!

Not if he is the one preaching the "zone coverage" and has all players in that page.. An alert coach would even recognize an offensive D man's tendencies similar to Larsen's and call off a trailing forward to be replaced by another Dman, only to have the offensive Dman (Larsen), return to the bench for a forward on the return play back.

It's a coverage game that keeps players and coaches alert and involved in the game, even when they are on the bench.

Embrace what you might fear, and become bigger, stronger, and smarter for it.

I hear Larsen was pairing with Tryamkin today at camp... Heard Pedan was playing well also.

5 hours ago, gurn said:

"We've never had a defenceman who can openly  switch to offence and surprise other teams"

Never is a very long time.

Reinhart, Jovo, and Erhoff may disagree with you.

Reinhart, Jovo, and Erhoff do not nearly have the rushing capability of Philip Larsen.

Larsen has better speed and skill set. Period.

Archived