The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Philip Larsen - why so quiet?

X-Man

On 5/31/2016 at 7:54 PM, stanleysteamersmyl said:

I would say Lucic is bigger and a little tougher.  Fraser was 6 feet or 6'1  Lucic and Gubs will make the smaller Canucks two inches taller and 20 pounds heavy.  They will know Lucic and Gub will have their backs.  No make cheap shots on Henrik or Daniel.

The NHL draft and July 1 Free agency is going to be very interesting.

I'm hoping that J.B. doesn't get a team full of power-forward types and rugged D-men and neglects skill (good thing we have Hutton and Larsen, and Edler on the back end), as once the Twins are gone the forward group probably lacks the high-end pure talent to keep up with the speedy, talented NHL young guns.  With Hunter and Jared out of the system for two-way play and physical leadership, hope they insert some high-end forward talent through the draft and UFA.  Thing is, even in Beantown when Trader Jim was with their team, they had Krejci line up with Lucic and Horton, so it wasn't like they stacked a line with all physical guys, so hope he brings in more pure skill to complement the toughness.  Horvat may be good two-way, but even Toews can't do it all by himself without Kane. 

8 hours ago, Fred65 said:

The funny thing is by adding a couple of "rugged" players every one starts to chirp :lol:  As Naslund once said about Wade Brookbank he  " he makes every one the bench 6" taller"

...and when he brings in Vey, Baertschi, Granlund, and Larsen it's "Benning loves his little smurfs.  We need more size 'cuz the Cali teams are gonna stomp us!"

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:
4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

...and when he brings in Vey, Baertschi, Granlund, and Larsen it's "Benning loves his little smurfs.  We need more size 'cuz the Cali teams are gonna stomp us!"

Balance....you need balance ..... we were in a bad way for quite a long time and but I'll give JB credit for addressing the problem with Tryamkin, Gudbranson and Pedan none of which you'd like to run into in the corner  :lol:

21 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I'm hoping that J.B. doesn't get a team full of power-forward types and rugged D-men and neglects skill (good thing we have Hutton and Larsen, and Edler on the back end), as once the Twins are gone the forward group probably lacks the high-end pure talent to keep up with the speedy, talented NHL young guns.  With Hunter and Jared out of the system for two-way play and physical leadership, hope they insert some high-end forward talent through the draft and UFA.  Thing is, even in Beantown when Trader Jim was with their team, they had Krejci line up with Lucic and Horton, so it wasn't like they stacked a line with all physical guys, so hope he brings in more pure skill to complement the toughness.  Horvat may be good two-way, but even Toews can't do it all by himself without Kane. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't kane play with anisimov centering him not toews?

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 9:32 PM, Alflives said:

I remember the guy.  Soft as butter.  He was a player made for the non contact of the SEL.  Him and Ingi Hamerstrom were able to play with a dozen eggs in their pants, and never break one.  If Larsen is like Eldebrink, he will not make our team.

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 8:35 PM, SaintPatrick33 said:

Quote of the week! LOL! Sounds like something Torts would say 

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:16 PM, Alflives said:

Actually, it's exactly what Don Cherry said about Hamerstrom during coache's corner, when Hamerstrom played for the Leafs.  I never forgot it, because Cherry LOVED Salming, bet he absolutely hated Hamerstrom.

Are you sure it wasn't Howie Meeker?  Jimminy Crickets!

On June 11, 2016 at 6:57 PM, Fred65 said:

Balance....you need balance ..... we were in a bad way for quite a long time and but I'll give JB credit for addressing the problem with Tryamkin, Gudbranson and Pedan none of which you'd like to run into in the corner  :lol:

I think JB said it after the regular season when commenting about NT's play..  Something about,  really liking the way he fearlessly goes into the corner in his own end and stops the puck movement on the cycle,. JB mentioned we need more guys who can do that,. It stops puck possession, and the wear down of your own guys in their own end.

... Anyone heard anything about Larrsen?  I thought we had his rights and was ours to re-sign on June 1st?

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I think JB said it after the regular season when commenting about NT's play..  Something about,  really liking the way he fearlessly goes into the corner in his own end and stops the puck movement on the cycle,. JB mentioned we need more guys who can do that,. It stops puck possession, and the wear down of your own guys in their own end.

... Anyone heard anything about Larrsen?  I thought we had his rights and was ours to re-sign on June 1st?

I know that JB said that when his rights were acquired. There is some contractual anomaly that prevents him from being signed prior to then.

it is quiet. We only had his rights then he's a free agent to sign anywhere....I really don't think we signed him :( ....it maybe a July 1st deadline. I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to play for comets, its either NHL 1st or KHL 2nd. I really like his offenses skills.

• 2 weeks later...

So anyone hear anything yet?

Don't we have to qualify Larsen this summer to retain his RFA rights? Or does the previous Edmonton QO retain RFA rights until re-signed and returned to an NHL active roster?

Seems to me like we'd need to qualify Larsen before the deadline (Is it tomorrow? Can't remember...), or he'd go UFA on July 1st.

On 6/11/2016 at 0:45 AM, Phil_314 said:

The size thing is what has been neglected for years. Who are you, Mike Gillis? Just kidding:)

On 6/26/2016 at 10:46 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So anyone hear anything yet?

Don't we have to qualify Larsen this summer to retain his RFA rights? Or does the previous Edmonton QO retain RFA rights until re-signed and returned to an NHL active roster?

Seems to me like we'd need to qualify Larsen before the deadline (Is it tomorrow? Can't remember...), or he'd go UFA on July 1st.

Larsen is not an RFA, he is considered "inactive" because he played in the KHL last year, no qualifying offer needed to retain his rights.  What that means in terms of bringing him over next year, I don't know.

Stoked for this signing. We have some real good competition going into next year on the Blue Line. 

Tryamkin, Pedan, Biega, Larsen and maybe even Stetcher will be making strong cases and Sbisa might be booted out of the top 6 depending on how everyone else does.

Archived