The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Philip Larsen - why so quiet?

X-Man

5 minutes ago, Lenny Jones said:

Stoked for this signing. We have some real good competition going into next year on the Blue Line. 

Tryamkin, Pedan, Biega, Larsen and maybe even Stetcher will be making strong cases and Sbisa might be booted out of the top 6 depending on how everyone else does.

Jordan Subban might surprise too.

• 2 months later...

I've posted this vid clip from last season of Philip Larsen before..  But we may have grabbed Larsen just as he is going into his prime. His confidence with the puck, skating ability, quick release and ability to hit the net, speaks volumes about his potential.

Because of our physically upgraded cast on D,.. If he makes the team, and is given fair opportunity,. he could quite possibly be the best offensive playmaking and scoring defense man we have had in years.

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I fully expect him to challenge, but he will be back in Utica this year, getting stronger.

I think he will be first or second call up this year for injury replacement.

Side question - how is the expansion team being viewed in Vegas?

12 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I've posted this vid clip from last season of Philip Larsen before..  But we may have grabbed Larsen just as he is going into his prime. His confidence with the puck, skating ability, quick release and ability to hit the net, speaks volumes about his potential.

Because of our physically upgraded cast on D,.. If he makes the team, and is given fair opportunity,. he could quite possibly be the best offensive playmaking and scoring defense man we have had in years.

It's not his offense that worries me, it's his defense, which isn't noted as a strength.  It doesn't matter how many points you put up if you play like Yannick Weber in your own end.  He needs to prove he can actually play DEFENSE before he makes the team.

Larsen is a long shot. He can shoot the puck and may provide much needed offense from our defence. 

He only needs to be slightly better than a forward on defence 5 v 5.  Who ever his partner is will be the first man back.  Hopefully his skating is a strong point, it does make up for defensive weakness. 

He wont be a bet clearing force, but we have a lot more of that than last year. 

EW. 

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Here's a question for Larsen. Do you play him with a defensive winger to make up for his errors or do play him wiyh an all out offensive forward line ?

Hard to say and would likely be determined by possession and match ups. Hansen Bo and Baer would be a good 5 v 5 unit with Larsen and Sbisa.  

On 9/9/2016 at 1:15 PM, thejazz97 said:

Side question - how is the expansion team being viewed in Vegas?

Everyone is really excited and looking forward to going to games. I actually live back and forth between the Gulf Islands and Las Vegas.  I'm probably going to get a multi game pack though, going to be great!

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 4:58 PM, Bob Long said:

If Hamhuis can make Bartkowski look like an offensive force some nights, imagine what he does paired with Stecher or Larsen :) assuming Hamhuis is back of course. 

I guess I missed those Bartkowski moments! :(

22 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Everyone is really excited and looking forward to going to games. I actually live back and forth between the Gulf Islands and Las Vegas.  I'm probably going to get a multi game pack though, going to be great!

Only a couple hours away from Spokane so cheap Vegas flights here I come. Game tickets shouldn't be a problem.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Only a couple hours away from Spokane so cheap Vegas flights here I come. Game tickets shouldn't be a problem.

I'll see if I can dig up a name on who to talk to about getting a price for a box. Maybe we can get a whole group together for the first game and just break the price up. I know I have at least one contact from their sales team, but I don't think they are ready to discuss boxes for individual games yet.

when I get the info, I'll start a thread and see if we can get enough people to commit to make it worthwhile.

20 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'll see if I can dig up a name on who to talk to about getting a price for a box. Maybe we can get a whole group together for the first game and just break the price up. I know I have at least one contact from their sales team, but I don't think they are ready to discuss boxes for individual games yet.

when I get the info, I'll start a thread and see if we can get enough people to commit to make it worthwhile.

Sounds very interesting! Since making the trip worthwhile means a double header the 2nd team becomes interesting. Hopefully a Van/Edmonton combo would be available.

22 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Sounds very interesting! Since making the trip worthwhile means a double header the 2nd team becomes interesting. Hopefully a Van/Edmonton combo would be available.

I now have a discussion going with one of their sales guys and have him as a connection on LinkedIn. Its funny, he used to work for the Utica Comets before taking this job.

They haven't finalized box prices yet, but I'd love to know how many people would be interested in coming down if we could swing a Canucks box for the first game.

He's going to let me know as soon as he has more information.

Archived