The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] SHUTOUT=MATTHEWS #TANKON

numb3r 16

Webkowski  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

GoodGAWD! The stealth tank has rolled in with the grace of a ninja, & navel-gazers are gripin'?!

We can blame this abhorrence on injuries, even if that's just partially true.

Once you get young stars, complementary FA's will jump for such a beauty town. Edm has to promote a freeken mall. Cowtown ya gotta walk funny, & dress like perpetual-Halloween. They just don't compare.

Van's rebuild will be viable & sustainable.

2 to 3 yrs & we're GOLDEN!

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Seriously.?!

those two are sweatin bullets.  Jb in his first gm job with a franchise and personal legacy on the line.  And linden, the mayor of Vancouver, with his reputation on the line.  I highly doubt they're high fiving each other right now.

blaming the rookies is wrong.

remind me what our playoff record is since the cup run with all the vets here.

the fail is deeply planted.  This is going to take time.  People who think we are legit contenders or even a capable playoff time in the next 2-3 years are dillusional.

there is no easy or one solution to this debacle.  

The fans here are simply trying to find some light in the darkness and attempting to have a laugh, in any form along the way.

So you are saying that all this cheering for losses is the fans laughing at the team, at how utterly useless this team has become? Fair enough. That makes me feel better. It's much better to laugh at Virtanen and company then to cheer their miserable failure.

4 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

You are a very optimistic man. You Gaunce, Tryamkin, Virtanen, McCann, Pedan, Etem, Baertschi, and Horvat as the core of a successful NHL team? Not half of of them will ever be real NHL players in my opinion.

I do believe your opinion is losing credibility by the minute. And why didn't you include Hutton and Markstrom? The Canucks are taking their lumps right now. There isn't a franchise that doesn't go through it at some point. It's just our turn, nothing more. 

1 hour ago, WWM_Canuck said:

We had 3 player dressed tonight who have been waived / not claimed this season.

LOL, I wonder what the NHL record is for most waived players on the team that waived them? And while we're looking... what's the record for most shutouts in a 5 game stretch/ or 10 game stretch? 

1 minute ago, Jack Fig said:

I do believe your opinion is losing credibility by the minute. And why didn't you include Hutton and Markstrom? The Canucks are taking their lumps right now. There isn't a franchise that doesn't go through it at some point. It's just our turn, nothing more. 

Yes, every franchise goes through its lumps, totally true, but only some ever get out of it. Talk to me about Arizona, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Carolina, Buffalo, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa,...We were even with the Chicago, St Louis, Boston, Anaheim, LA, Washington... a few years back but management has royally screwed up. Yes add Markstrom and Hutton, I am still at half will ever be true NHLers, meaning I don't see Markstrom as ever a good  #1 in the NHL.

Just now, SuperReverb2 said:

Who was the third player dressed tonight that had been waived and not claimed? I'm aware of Higgins and Weber, but I thought Vrbata was the third one waived and I thought he had been shut down for the rest of the season?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Vey was waived.

1 minute ago, SuperReverb2 said:

Who was the third player dressed tonight that had been waived and not claimed? I'm aware of Higgins and Weber, but I thought Vrbata was the third one waived and I thought he had been shut down for the rest of the season?

Thanks in advance.

:)

I think it's Vey

21 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

My friend, you need to calm down.

Understand something; because of The Gillis Gap, anybody with a brain knew this day was coming. You should have been prepared for this... and there's plenty more to come. But at some point we'll be a good team again. And the kids you are chastising will be the ones pulling the cart. I'm just sorry it won't be on a timetable you deem acceptable. But that's your problem. 

Well said Jack, well said!

3 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Yes, every franchise goes through its lumps, totally true, but only some ever get out of it. Talk to me about Arizona, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Carolina, Buffalo, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa,...We were even with the Chicago, St Louis, Boston, Anaheim, LA, Washington... a few years back but management has royally screwed up. Yes add Markstrom and Hutton, I am still at half will ever be true NHLers, meaning I don't see Markstrom as ever a good  #1 in the NHL.

Yes the Canucks were even with Chicago and Boston and LA and Anaheim for a time. But the Canucks were already getting old by 2011. Chicago won a Cup with a captain who was barely 22 years old. Cory Perry and Getzlaff were kids when they won a Cup. The age of your core group has a lot to do with how long your longevity will last. The Canucks needed to rebuild by 2013, but for whatever reason it didn't happen. And now we pay the price. Ripping our current group of youngsters because they aren't up to your standards of excellence is assinine. They need time, give them some. You aren't going anyplace. 

54 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

But wait till next year, adding Matthews to this team will change everyting because obviously we are one 18 year old away from being a powerhouse. I guess Matthews plays forward and defence, right? And he is this year's generational player. Look what McDavid did for the Oilers, I mean they didn't drop out of the playoff race until, what early February this year! So cheer on for losses suckers, that is what fans of bad teams do. And somehow they really get into it. So much fun to cheer for losses and you can fall asleep during the game!

McDavid was injured half the year and joined a team that finished 3rd from the bottom last year and a team that has finished dead last 3 out of the last 6 years and could make it 4 out of 7. That's a far cry from a Canucks team that is only 4 years removed from winning the Presidents trophy and 5 years removed from reaching the finals. 

This year really sucks. But if we actually land Mathhews then I guess it was worth it. We haven't had a top 3 pick since the Sedins and we've never had the number one overall pick. Benning has made some great draft picks over the last 2 years. In a short period of time he has stocked the cupboard with some great young prospects. Also, he was able to get Baertschi in a trade and has Hutton, Tanev, Horvat and Markstrom left over from Gillis to add to his core.  Sutter was also a good pickup but unfortunately has missed pretty much the whole year with injury.  With Matthews or one of the Finns to add to this team along with Boeser and Demko we could be elite in a couple of years. We also have $17 million in cap space for this year and will have lots of cap space next year too. 

Nothing is is guaranteed and I will admit that this offseason is crucial to our future. If Benning uses that $17 million wisely and is also able to make another Baertschi type trade to go along with possibly getting Matthews then we could really turn this thing around quickly. Benning could also screw it up. Nobody knows really including me. 

I can only judge on what Benning has done so far and so far other than a few blips like Vey, Weber and Bartkowski (who are gone in the summer) and maybe Etem he has done a relatively good job. The jury is still out on Granlund and Pedan, but overall our future does look pretty good. The stats don't show it and of course the team sucks right now but it looks like they have packed it in so you can't really judge the team anymore. It really is a waste of time to try and judge this team right now. We have to wait until the start of training camp to see what we will have for next year and to judge what JB will or won't do this summer. 

8 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

It's a bit depressing right now, so difficult to tell how bad we really are, and how many of the "new core" are credible in the larger sense or keepers even in our own team's future.  I have a lot of sympathy with what you're feeling.  Been there, might still be there.

I think Markstrom is no worse than Crawford, possibly better.  Probably in the Bishop range.  He doesn't panic, doesn't seem to mind if he gives up a bad/borderline one (the first St. Louis goal was a bit like that), and most important of all: his teammates seem to want to play well in front of him.  And Demko looks like a cross between Schneider and Quick.  (Yikes.)  The guy starts a game thinking shutout.

"Management has really screwed up" -- I agree, but I think the management that got it wrong was Gillis's regime.  All those no-trade clauses have been death for the new mgt to deal with.  You've seen Hamhuis and Edler early in the year, when the season was still in the balance? Did they look like world-beaters?  No, they sucked.  So, let's move them.  Sounds good. Oh, we can't move them, the contracts they have protect them from being moved at some other pace and to some other place they do not like.  Every decent player on the Canucks inherited by Benning and Linden were insulated from the real world, the market conditions of the NHL.  So, what do you do?  You waive, you threaten, you tank.  Pretty much in that order.  

2 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Yes the Canucks were even with Chicago and Boston and LA and Anaheim for a time. But the Canucks were already getting old by 2011. Chicago won a Cup with a captain who was barely 22 years old. Cory Perry and Getzlaff were kids when they won a Cup. The age of your core group has a lot to do with how long your longevity will last. The Canucks needed to rebuild by 2013, but for whatever reason it didn't happen. And now we pay the price. Ripping our current group of youngsters because they aren't up to your standards of excellence is assinine. They need time, give them some. You aren't going anyplace. 

My main problem now is that the fans see young= good. There is zero chance that all the Canucks prospects will become true NHL players, it never happens. There is no way that some of Gaunce, Virtanen, McCann... will not pan out. I know people see JB as scouting genisu in these parts but there is no way that every top picks that he makes pans out, that every young player that he picks up (eg. Etem, Granlind, Baertschi) pans out. Let's be realisitic. And yes you are right, the Canucks needed to retool and they did not while the other good teams did. I mean the bloody hero of the fans here will have the worst +/- in the league this year. That takes some consistent poor play to do that. i know it's only goals for and against, but over an entire season, to be the  worst in the league, good grief, that's our poster boy!!!

59 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I did the simulation thing around 100 times and basically the last 2 teams have much better odds than everyone else. The canucks, 3rd worst team currently, fell all the way down to 6th (by average). The percentages for the top 2 are significantly higher than everyone else.

I mean like 6th spot in terms of winning 1st 2nd or 3rd. so the 4th and 5th placed teams won more than 3rd.

Edmonton managed to land McDavid finishing 3rd last so the only draft lottery that really counts is the real one. The draft simulator is a nice toy to play with but it is just playing the odds which we already know. Of course we will have better odds to get Matthews at 1 or 2 but we still have a shot at 3. 

In any event at the rate we are losing and looking at our schedule the last 8 games it looks pretty much like we will finish bottom 2 and we have a real shot of being dead last. 

1 minute ago, Harvey Spector said:

Edmonton managed to land McDavid finishing 3rd last so the only draft lottery that really counts is the real one. The draft simulator is a nice toy to play with but it is just playing the odds which we already know. Of course we will have better odds to get Matthews at 1 or 2 but we still have a shot at 3. 

In any event at the rate we are losing and looking at our schedule the last 8 games it looks pretty much like we will finish bottom 2 and we have a real shot of being dead last. 

I agree.  And being a Canadian team means we take this seriously.  Draft day is our Stanley Cup.

Archived