The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] SHUTOUT=MATTHEWS #TANKON

numb3r 16

Webkowski  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

McDavid was injured half the year and joined a team that finished 3rd from the bottom last year and a team that has finished dead last 3 out of the last 6 years and could make it 4 out of 7. That's a far cry from a Canucks team that is only 4 years removed from winning the Presidents trophy and 5 years removed from reaching the finals. 

This year really sucks. But if we actually land Mathhews then I guess it was worth it. We haven't had a top 3 pick since the Sedins and we've never had the number one overall pick. Benning has made some great draft picks over the last 2 years. In a short period of time he has stocked the cupboard with some great young prospects. Also, he was able to get Baertschi in a trade and has Hutton, Tanev, Horvat and Markstrom left over from Gillis to add to his core.  Sutter was also a good pickup but unfortunately has missed pretty much the whole year with injury.  With Matthews or one of the Finns to add to this team along with Boeser and Demko we could be elite in a couple of years. We also have $17 million in cap space for this year and will have lots of cap space next year too. 

Nothing is is guaranteed and I will admit that this offseason is crucial to our future. If Benning uses that $17 million wisely and is also able to make another Baertschi type trade to go along with possibly getting Matthews then we could really turn this thing around quickly. Benning could also screw it up. Nobody knows really including me. 

I can only judge on what Benning has done so far and so far other than a few blips like Vey, Weber and Bartkowski (who are gone in the summer) and maybe Etem he has done a relatively good job. The jury is still out on Granlund and Pedan, but overall our future does look pretty good. The stats don't show it and of course the team sucks right now but it looks like they have packed it in so you can't really judge the team anymore. It really is a waste of time to try and judge this team right now. We have to wait until the start of training camp to see what we will have for next year and to judge what JB will or won't do this summer. 

Good analysis. I have no problem at all with anything that you said. However let me add that JB's two UFA signings last July were Weber and Bartkowski. Did he do that to make himself look better this next summer? Is there another explanation? Do team really make themselves better by overpaying past-their-prime players, also known as UFAs (eg, Sekera in Edmonton)?

11 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

My main problem now is that the fans see young= good. There is zero chance that all the Canucks prospects will become true NHL players, it never happens. There is no way that some of Gaunce, Virtanen, McCann... will not pan out. I know people see JB as scouting genisu in these parts but there is no way that every top picks that he makes pans out, that every young player that he picks up (eg. Etem, Granlind, Baertschi) pans out. Let's be realisitic. And yes you are right, the Canucks needed to retool and they did not while the other good teams did. I mean the bloody hero of the fans here will have the worst +/- in the league this year. That takes some consistent poor play to do that. i know it's only goals for and against, but over an entire season, to be the  worst in the league, good grief, that's our poster boy!!!

Thats the problem.  After the cup run instead of trading players at their highest value to re tool like Chicago often does Gillis decided to re sign everyone to NTC which has completely hand cuffed them.

I don't see the Canucks trading Miller this offseason and they will probably buy-out Burrows; Steven Stamkos seems to be a long shot but I hope he comes. If the Canucks want to compete next year they should go after Shattenkirk and Eriksson, but I prefer if they tried to get a RFA like Barrie or McKinnon.

9 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Edmonton managed to land McDavid finishing 3rd last so the only draft lottery that really counts is the real one. The draft simulator is a nice toy to play with but it is just playing the odds which we already know. Of course we will have better odds to get Matthews at 1 or 2 but we still have a shot at 3. 

In any event at the rate we are losing and looking at our schedule the last 8 games it looks pretty much like we will finish bottom 2 and we have a real shot of being dead last. 

Yea except all 3 spots are lotteries and you can easily finish 30th and end up with the 4th overall pick instead of being guaranteed the 2nd if you lose. You have to WIN the lottery to get the top 3 spots and and top 2 have a 50% chance of landing a top 3 pick whereas 3-6 were all pretty much equal around 15-20%.

We could easily see 3 teams that finish no where near the bottom getting the top 3 picks.

2 minutes ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Thats the problem.  After the cup run instead of trading players at their highest value to re tool like Chicago often does Gillis decided to re sign everyone to NTC which has completely hand cuffed them.

That is certainly a huge cause of today's problems and terrible team. Can this be corrected by JB in a few years? Zero chance. This will take time, lots of time.

4 minutes ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Yes!!!!! Gillis is straightjackets.

1 minute ago, coastal1 said:

That is certainly a huge cause of today's problems and terrible team. Can this be corrected by JB in a few years? Zero chance. This will take time, lots of time.

That has nothing to do with why we suck and Chicago couldn't sign those players. They HAD to make trades in order to get under the cap.

Chicago trades away young stars for mediocre returns. Imagine if we had Saad and then traded him away? 

5 minutes ago, Noorkamal said:

I don't see the Canucks trading Miller this offseason and they will probably buy-out Burrows; Steven Stamkos seems to be a long shot but I hope he comes. If the Canucks want to compete next year they should go after Shattenkirk and Eriksson, but I prefer if they tried to get a RFA like Barrie or McKinnon.

At this point, anything can happen this offseason. 

Standing pat will cause a ripple effect that will result in a mass exodus that's already begun with the fanbase. 

I'll still watch the games on TV, but am done forking over inordinate amounts of money to watch Frankenstein being assembled. 

3 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

That has nothing to do with why we suck and Chicago couldn't sign those players. They HAD to make trades in order to get under the cap.

Chicago trades away young stars for mediocre returns. Imagine if we had Saad and then traded him away? 

Saad is not a star.

hes a good player.  That's it

13 minutes ago, Noorkamal said:

I can't think of a single reason other than ridiculous and illogical money, why a player like stamkos or even an rfa like McKinnon would come here right now.

24 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

My main problem now is that the fans see young= good. There is zero chance that all the Canucks prospects will become true NHL players, it never happens. There is no way that some of Gaunce, Virtanen, McCann... will not pan out. I know people see JB as scouting genisu in these parts but there is no way that every top picks that he makes pans out, that every young player that he picks up (eg. Etem, Granlind, Baertschi) pans out. Let's be realisitic. And yes you are right, the Canucks needed to retool and they did not while the other good teams did. I mean the bloody hero of the fans here will have the worst +/- in the league this year. That takes some consistent poor play to do that. i know it's only goals for and against, but over an entire season, to be the  worst in the league, good grief, that's our poster boy!!!

No, young = new. Because old wasn't getting it done anymore. Yes, all the kids will not work out, but while we watch and see who does, you may as well pull for them all, huh? Stop taking past mismanagement and hanging it on the youngsters. That nonsense won't fly.

14 minutes ago, Noorkamal said:

Hahahahahahahahahahah

July 1st in the mind of CDC

Benning walks into a brothel of UFA's. He looks down the seemingly endless line of eager and ready professionals. He simply walks the line and hands a clipboard with a contract to the players he desires.

boom playoffs. 

The Canucks have not won 3 games in a row all season. There are 8 games left. At best and I mean at best we'd go 2 and 6, maybe 3 and 5. 

All the teams around us are in the  .400 to .500 record of the last 10 games. 

Canucks (say 3-5): 73 points more than likely 2-6 or 71 points.
Edmonton 2-3 ( the wrong side of 5 games) = 71 points.

Toronto 5-4 = 75 Points

Columbus 4-4 = 74 points

Winnipeg 4-4= 74 points

Reality is 2 games against the Oilers and one against the Flames in the last three games will decide. 

1 hour ago, coastal1 said:

The Sedins have been around so when we see this:

Daniel Sedin: "From some guys right now, the effort is not there. I think those guys know who they are. I think it’s embarrassing."

You know the lineup full of kids stinks as so many of them don't even understand what it takes to be an NHL player. But like I said, we now have fans cheering for losses so I guess the team is now successful! How pathetic! What do you think Pat Quinn would say if he was alive? Fans hoping for losses! Pathetic. Disgusting.  A total bad joke. This is what hockey has become in Vancouver, fans hoping for losses.

So what are you hoping for: the team wins all remaining games and picks 14th? Let's face it, a top 3 is better odds than 14th. I'd gladly give up the entertainment for the balance of the year for a top 3 pick. Next year will be a different story regardless what happens for the balance of this year. It is what it is.  

Archived