The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Excuse the post-season negativity but,

Mathew Barzal

Were there any Radim-ing qualities about Vrbata?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good. Riddance. Radim. Vrbata.

Lost in the mire of this atrocious season and the anxiousness of the upcoming draft is the one man who I believe actually had the talent to actually make a difference in the way this season shaped up.

Last season he was a legitimate top six option, he was a threat on the power-play and his very presence on the team allowed us to have DEPTH in our bottom six.

Instead, this season we were blessed with

A player who pouted when he was rightfully stripped of his first line role.

A player who dragged down the Horvat line and potentially robbed him of an even greater sophomore season.

A player who was a fixture on our stale top power-play unit off of his reputation alone.

A player who's worth over the course of less than a season managed to drop from a lock for a first rounder to not being on the radar of a single GM.

A player who's injury turned out to be a blessing, because I can't imagine having our rookies like Gaunce or Tryamkin have to look up to the likes of him in those final stretch of games.

Best of luck on the next team you sucker into signing you Radim, lord knows you won't earn that paycheck either.

radim_vrbata.jpg

Valid points. I get the feeling there was something there between him and the Twins, because WD rarely put them on together as soon as the playoffs started last year. This year he looked like a guy who REALLY did not want to be here. Mailed it in from day 1, and he is a big reason why Horvat's +/- was so terrible. So long Vrbata. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

TY VRBATA.

You helped us in the tank. Were now picking potentially #1-6 and we can draft potential franchise players and some great d-prospects. 

gl on another team

8 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Lost in the mire of this atrocious season and the anxiousness of the upcoming draft is the one man who I believe actually had the talent to actually make a difference in the way this season shaped up.

Last season he was a legitimate top six option, he was a threat on the power-play and his very presence on the team allowed us to have DEPTH in our bottom six.

A player who dragged down the Horvat line and potentially robbed him of an even greater sophomore season.

A player who was a fixture on our stale top power-play unit off of his reputation alone.

A player who's worth over the course of less than a season managed to drop from a lock for a first rounder to not being on the radar of a single GM.

A player who's injury turned out to be a blessing, because I can't imagine having our rookies like Gaunce or Tryamkin have to look up to the likes of him in those final stretch of games.

Best of luck on the next team you sucker into signing you Radim, lord knows you won't earn that paycheck either.

radim_vrbata.jpg

I keep seeing people state that Vrby pouted his way through the season. Where is the evidence of that? Do you mean he was bad in the locker room? Is it his general attitude? I honestly would like some clarification.

And regarding his abysmal PP time, I place that primarily on WD, who's seemingly resistant to any type of change up on the lines even as he watches the ship sink.

I like Vrby. Alway have, always will. Even own his jersey. I think his welcome was long overstayed in Van, but he's not trash. And I'm not even sure he's "not being on the radar of a single GM." I wouldn't be surprised if he got signed this fall with a team that needs a veteran presence and a decent RW. He'll be signed at way less though. Probably end up back in AZ tbh.

17 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

radim_vrbata.jpg

Not true he just wasn't on the radar of the 10 teams he wanted to go to atleast not to give any assets up for.

3 minutes ago, hockeyking said:

Not true he just wasn't on the radar of the 10 teams he wanted to go to atleast not to give any assets up for.

And do you think his list of ten were the 10 worst teams?  Alf bets that is the list, and good ole Vrby knew none of those teams would want him.  

So he put up good numbers with the Sedins. Almost ANYBODY could put up good numbers with the Sedins. Any 4th line plug that you put on their line would have a career year. Stick 'em on any other line and this team's weaknesses come to the fore. We spend millions (5 of them to be exact) to get a linemate for the Sedins...and as it turns out, it wasn't even the issue. Next year's first line: Hank, Daniel, Honey-Badger. Done. Move on. We REALLY could use a 2nd line. Vrby proved this year that he can't play there, so, see ya. We need someone to snipe on Horvat's line. We got Bo, we got Jake and now we need a veteran sniper to clean up the garbage, all those long rebounds, all those chances when it was Bo...and only Bo...who on offense on his line...where the *bleep* was the rest of his line?

OK rant over. Bye Radim...have fun on your PTO next year. Grossly over-rated now (IMHO).

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And do you think his list of ten were the 10 worst teams?  Alf bets that is the list, and good ole Vrby knew none of those teams would want him.  

I seem to remember Benning himself saying the list Vrby provided was fair. I can try and find the interview. 

31 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Legitimate top six option?  That's it?  I think you are selling him short for last seasons, he finished 14th in the league in goals scored.  That means that he would've been the leading goal scorer on more then half the teams last year. 

Could you post proof of the fact that he pouted this year?  I think you are connecting a lot of invisible dots.  

He's had a terrible year but nobody was more frustrated about him then Radim.  You can go back through the season and find countless interviews where he was blaming himself and trying to keep on doing the right things even though he wasn't getting results.

Some team might take a flier on him, but he won't have his pick like he did in his previous contract. I bet he goes back to Arizona, signs something reasonable for that market, and has his stats inflated by playing a purely offensive role with Domi/Duclair or other young guns. 

I find it difficult to even wish him well, if even half of what was reported of his character was true. I question the injury as well, as it was timed with call ups and was a soft one to take (groin pull off a lateral turn?). 

12 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Some team might take a flier on him, but he won't have his pick like he did in his previous contract. I bet he goes back to Arizona, signs something reasonable for that market, and has his stats inflated by playing a purely offensive role with Domi/Duclair or other young guns. 

I find it difficult to even wish him well, if even half of what was reported of his character was true. I question the injury as well, as it was timed with call ups and was a soft one to take (groin pull off a lateral turn?). 

But what were the reports??? That still hasn't been answered. I've never heard a single negative comment about his character except on CDC. I have seen McCann's comments though that Vrb was a mentor and took him under his wing. 

23 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hmm..ok, this bloke over-boiled the pasta - there's no debate there.

So EAT that mush, or toss it in the dumpster. Let's try a new chef, at the Jolly Nucker Bistro. *uck the tip, we're outa' here!

That wasn't pasta, yam and blue cheese perogies, left in the freezer since '09.

Served in a dirty bowl and poured our beers into ugly mugs.

No mustard, garlic, onions, s&p, no slaw or sauerkraut.

Definitely NO SAUSAGE OR BACON,

but lots of sour cream.

And that's just from the prep cook.

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

That wasn't pasta, yam and blue cheese perogies, left in the freezer since '09.

Served in a dirty bowl and poured our beers into ugly mugs.

No mustard, garlic, onions, s&p, no slaw or sauerkraut.

Definitely NO SAUSAGE OR BACON,

but lots of sour cream.

And that's just from the prep cook.

Lucky, from one ugly mug to another..I raise my brimming tankard to thee.

There'll be a new menu come fall, & we'll have the bistro rockin' & rollin' again by spring '18.

Archived