The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

11 hours ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

He's been pretty damn good and I'm sure he'd get snagged.  His example is also a great motivator.

I agree he(Biega) was good in patches this season. I don't think it's likely he gets claimed in waivers; he's 5"10 and had 0 goals and 7 assists to go along with a -11 rating this year. That coupled with the fact he's a bit older doesn't equal an attractive asset for most Nhl teams. I think he was resigned because he is a great depth option to have in Utica that can be brought up when injuries happen.

The Team will likely carry 8 defenseman and he will not be one of them IMO.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

He's been pretty damn good and I'm sure he'd get snagged.  His example is also a great motivator.

Small, borderline ahl/nhl, 27 year old D on one way contracts don't tend to get claimed. 

• Upvote 1

On 2016-04-21 at 9:29 AM, J.R. said:

I actually hope he doesn't make the team... Hear me out.

Our D core needs a LOT of work. This summer we have the capacity to get a lot done in remodeling it. If Stetcher makes the team, that most likely means we've made very little or no improvement via UFA, trades etc. That makes J.R. sad :(

That also means one less quality D in Utica to call up without waiver risk. And with our injury history, he WILL get called up. Less D depth also makes J.R. :(

We're also pretty full up on bottom pair/spare D. Which is where he probably should be playing to start if he's even ready to play at this level. Having him on the team then would likely then mean some of those 'bottom 4' guys are playing in the top 4 and lead me back to my first point again... and would hence lead to making J.R. :(

In short, Stetcher making the Canucks this year is pretty likely to make J.R. :(

Great commentary...but I see what you're doing here, JR, you sneaky bugger you...you're doing an impersonation of Alflives.  You do a better Alf than Alf (though you gotta admit, Alf is pretty entertaining at times).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Great commentary...but I see what you're doing here, JR, you sneaky bugger you...you're doing an impersonation of Alflives.  You do a better Alf than Alf (though you gotta admit, Alf is pretty entertaining at times).

Did all the emoticons give it away?  He didn't refer to himself as cute, though.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

I think teams have seen how well he's played.  It really has been way beyond what is expected of a #7.

Based on what exactly? He looked competent in the NHL but not much more than a #7. When teams look to waivers they generally look for someone younger with a bit more upside. Biega is a bulldog and great guy to have in the system but also the perfect guy to sneak through waivers. He is unlikely to have much more upside at the age of 27. Utica will have a much younger blueline next year and will need some older mentors like Biega or Fedun.

A big priority for this regime was to have a strong AHL affiliate. Biega and Stecher give them some solid blueline depth at that level that can be called up. Stecher would have to really light up the AHL in his first season to get a call up. Anyone thinking otherwise is a bit delusional IMO. We've seen how they've like to have "Overripe prospects" under JB/TL so far and I think that Utica will stack up well next season

I know this is unlikely to be the final roster but my ideal Utica roster could be something like:

Grenier MCCann Vey

Burrows/Kenins Gaunce Higgins

Hamilton Cassels Labate

Bancks Zalewski Friesen

Zhukenov? Jasek?

Defense

Subban Stecher

Biega Sautner

Carl Neil Brisebois

Olsen Fedun

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

He has been good but not like he is not replaceable. Just think there is more upside with Pedan. Biega is already maxed out. In this case the tie for the spot should go to the younger player.

• Upvote 1

It'll be interesting to find out next year boys.  I don't think they waive him.  I could post a list of guys who've been claimed, but I can't be bothered.  

3 hours ago, Bert Diesel said:

Based on what exactly?

Based on playing quite a few games in a de facto #2 position and being notably successful against high end players.  I just think that he would be on a few teams' list for marginal guys to potentially target.  Obviously hypothetical at the moment.  I don't think mentioning his general age and role make a great argument.  It's the solid #23-#24 guys that get claimed, and it doesn't tend to be a long term consideration.  

5 hours ago, Bert Diesel said:

I know this is unlikely to be the final roster but my ideal Utica roster could be something like:

Grenier MCCann Vey

Hamilton Cassels Labate

Bancks Zalewski Friesen

Zhukenov? Jasek?

Defense

Subban Stecher

Biega Sautner

Carl Neil Brisebois

Olsen Fedun

Unless I'm missing something, neither Brisebois nor Olsen is eligible for the AHL next season.  Both were drafted from Major Junior, neither will be 20 years of age and neither will have had 4 seasons in Major Junior.  It seems to me the NHL's agreement with the CHL will require the Canucks to return them to junior, assuming they don't make the Canucks.

I haven't seen the Canucks under JB getting their prospects overripe.  So far we've seen Horvat, Virtanen, McCann go straight to the NHL from junior and Hutton go straight to the NHL from university.  Those that weren't with the Canucks weren't in the minors to get them overripe-they simply weren't yet considered good enough to beat others out to play for the Canucks.  Instead of getting prospects overripe JB has talked about bringing them to the NHL and accelerating their development-and that's what he's done.

Edited by tyhee

8 hours ago, Bert Diesel said:

Grenier MCCann Vey

Hamilton Cassels Labate

Bancks Zalewski Friesen

Zhukenov? Jasek?

Defense

Subban Stecher

Biega Sautner

Carl Neil Brisebois

Olsen Fedun

Not bad, but I'm pretty sure Burrows  will  either be bought out, traded or on Canucks roster before he's playing in Utica. Higgins could be bought out.

7 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

He has been good but not like he is not replaceable. Just think there is more upside with Pedan. Biega is already maxed out. In this case the tie for the spot should go to the younger player.

Wrong.

The place should always go to the guy who gets the job done and that from the evidence so far is Biega by a country mile. 

I'm sick of this young is best crap. Young is young and young lacks experience and young lacks consistency. That is what the AHL is for and when Pedan sorts his head out in the AHL he will get a good look

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Wrong.

The place should always go to the guy who gets the job done and that from the evidence so far is Biega by a country mile. 

I'm sick of this young is best crap. Young is young and young lacks experience and young lacks consistency. That is what the AHL is for and when Pedan sorts his head out in the AHL he will get a good look

Do you see Pedan clearing waivers?  He is young, and that might get him taken over Biega. The irony, yes - I see it too. 

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do you see Pedan clearing waivers?  He is young, and that might get him taken over Biega. The irony, yes - I see it too. 

Alf I think we are in danger of not seeing the wood for the trees.

Pedan has size, of that there is no doubt but make no mistake, when it comes to CDC, what most of them really see is someone who fights and they become blind to whether the guy can actually play.

I think HE CAN PLAY but what I saw mostly when he came up was indecision, poor choice making, poor positioning and generally a guy who wasn't ready.

Imo I think he couldn't defeat his nerves. I say that because of his performances for Green in Utica. I don't think Green would have ok'd his promotion if he was playing poorly in Utica.

If we lose him, we lose him, frankly there are plenty of D's out there who could take his place, hopefully we will see one of them in Larsen.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Alf I think we are in danger of not seeing the wood for the trees.

Pedan has size, of that there is no doubt but make no mistake, when it comes to CDC, what most of them really see is someone who fights and they become blind to whether the guy can actually play.

I think HE CAN PLAY but what I saw mostly when he came up was indecision, poor choice making, poor positioning and generally a guy who wasn't ready.

Imo I think he couldn't defeat his nerves. I say that because of his performances for Green in Utica. I don't think Green would have ok'd his promotion if he was playing poorly in Utica.

If we lose him, we lose him, frankly there are plenty of D's out there who could take his place, hopefully we will see one of them in Larsen.

I understand what you are saying. I just don't see the Canucks putting Pedan on waivers. He wouldn't clear.

Pedan is too good of a prospect to lose. And he did played well in the AHL this year, but he is sort of teetering on ready/not ready. 

Willie Desjardins commented that there is a role open for next year for a player who can play forward and defense. I took it as him justifying giving Pedan a roster spot even if other guys maybe deserve it more.

At the very least he gives us size and a lot of physicality. He can skate well, and wire the puck at over 100mph so he is far more talented than a traditional goon. If his decision making is still lacking he will be used as an extra forward to give the coaches time to iron out his defensive game. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I understand what you are saying. I just don't see the Canucks putting Pedan on waivers. He wouldn't clear.

Pedan is too good of a prospect to lose. And he did played well in the AHL this year, but he is sort of teetering on ready/not ready. 

Willie Desjardins commented that there is a role open for next year for a player who can play forward and defense. I took it as him justifying giving Pedan a roster spot even if other guys maybe deserve it more.

At the very least he gives us size and a lot of physicality. He can skate well, and wire the puck at over 100mph so he is far more talented than a traditional goon. If his decision making is still lacking he will be used as an extra forward to give the coaches time to iron out his defensive game. 

I really don't think Pedan skates as well as many posters see.  He is fine in a straight line, but does struggle in the other three directions - especially with quickness.  He's much like Lucic this way.

perhaps that's why they are transitioning him to wing?  Big, tough, good straight line skater.  We could use him up front, no?

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I really don't think Pedan skates as well as many posters see.  He is fine in a straight line, but does struggle in the other three directions - especially with quickness.  He's much like Lucic this way.

perhaps that's why they are transitioning him to wing?  Big, tough, good straight line skater.  We could use him up front, no?

We sure could. 13th winger / 9th dman. Between injuries & physical match-ups he could still find his way into 70 games if he stays healthy. 

1 minute ago, canucklehead44 said:

We sure could. 13th winger / 9th dman. Between injuries & physical match-ups he could still find his way into 70 games if he stays healthy. 

Plus, he can help be translator for Sergachev. :towel:

4 hours ago, LordHorvat said:

Not bad, but I'm pretty sure Burrows  will  either be bought out, traded or on Canucks roster before he's playing in Utica. Higgins could be bought out.

If Burrows was willing to go to Utica I would say it's a best case scenario for us, but it would be a surprise.  I'm curious what other people think (clearly not all you).