The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

8 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

You can think whatever you want, but the player weighed 190 lbs. and bench pressed 400 lbs. That's what was so impressive. And it definitely did mean something. Why don't you try pressing 400 lbs. and let us know how it goes.

Bench pressing double your weight is very impressive. I was able to do that in my twenties so know the feeling. 

7 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Upper body strength doesn't mean anything. Ok. Check. Got it. Lol

yeah there are others that matter , but bench press matters 100%. I'd agree that pulling exercises probably matter more , but bench does tell us allot about pushing power, which means a fair amount. It can also indicate how naturally strong a players upper body is. Especially if he's a smaller guy. 

guna have to say "dead wrong" on this one bro

You are correct sir. The bench press is one of the core measures of your upper body strength. That's why they measure it at the NFL combine. NFL prospects, especially linemen, drop in the draft all the time because of a weak performance in the bench press. 

On 4/14/2016 at 1:45 PM, cabinessence said:

What? I said under six feet and you used someone clearly 6 feet or taller as your example. What a lazy post on your behalf! Name one Canuck under 6 feet (that means 5'11 or shorter) who has been deemed a very good defenceman (please don't say Weber, Bubla, or Kearns, or McCarthy). Ballard was 5'11, yes but played tough. Name one!

Paul Reinhart ... 5'11" and 205 (1988 - 90) ... maybe the best defenseman to wear a Canuck's jersey

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Lifting (body building) does help NHL players so I'd say your wrong. I bodybuild and it helps with hockey strength winning puck battles and helps your shot as well. 

It helps a lot when you have your man pinned between you and the boards. It makes that pin possible in the first place. The more bench press strength you have the harder you can pin him against the boards. Also makes it easier to then give him a shove and take the puck when it becomes available.

• Upvote 1

On April 15, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Gooseberries said:

Meh. Pucks aren't that heavy. I know AB was referring to strength testing but in regards to it translating to hockey I don't think its really matters much. Look at that 18 year old flames kid. Or is he 19? It's been a while since Jim Hughson reminded me.

No but 220 pound players trying to knock you off the puck are 

Edited by cuporbust

12 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Lifting (body building) does help NHL players so I'd say your wrong. I bodybuild and it helps with hockey strength winning puck battles and helps your shot as well. 

Lifting is not the same as bodybuilding.

Most athletes do circuit training, not a bodybuilding split.

13 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

But can Stecher beat you up? that is the rule for success right :P

There is only one player in our system could I guarantee a wallet and sexual assault. Any other prospect would put up too much of fight. This Stecher kid looks thick, I'm not interested in a struggle it's full domination or nothing. 

• Upvote 1