The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

23 hours ago, Googlie said:

Paul Reinhart ... 5'11" and 205 (1988 - 90) ... maybe the best defenseman to wear a Canuck's jersey

Good call. He was that size and a great player. In 1989/90 the average size of NHL players was 6'0", 198 lbs. As of the 2014-15 season it was 6'1" 201. I thought it would be a bigger increase.

https://hockey-graphs.com/2015/02/19/nhl-player-size-from-1917-18-to-2014-15-a-brief-look/

• Upvote 1

I would love to know how accurate these weight measurements are. I mean Pavel Bure was 5'10 and about as jacked as anyone that size could ever dream of while still playing in the NHL. I find it tough to believe that Stecher actually weighs that much while being as mobile as he actually is. Same thing with guys like Johnny Hockey. I would put him closer to 140-145 pounds than 155-160. 

22 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I would love to know how accurate these weight measurements are. I mean Pavel Bure was 5'10 and about as jacked as anyone that size could ever dream of while still playing in the NHL. I find it tough to believe that Stecher actually weighs that much while being as mobile as he actually is. Same thing with guys like Johnny Hockey. I would put him closer to 140-145 pounds than 155-160. 

I'd wager most of their muscle is down low in their legs/glutes/core. That's what makes them good skaters and hard to knock off the puck etc.

23 hours ago, cabinessence said:

Good call. He was that size and a great player. In 1989/90 the average size of NHL players was 6'0", 198 lbs. As of the 2014-15 season it was 6'1" 201. I thought it would be a bigger increase.

https://hockey-graphs.com/2015/02/19/nhl-player-size-from-1917-18-to-2014-15-a-brief-look/

People also have to remember, where the average size is 201 lbs > two things;

- Most guys are smaller as rookies breaking in to the league. Then put on muscle as they go. Stecher will be no different. 5'11'' and 192 lbs BTW is very muscular already for a player who will be playing with 7 or 9% body fat. Not to mention having dynamic speed, explosive quickness. That comes because he is strong.

- The 201lb average is also brought up by the Milan Lucic, Getzlaf & Byfuglien's of the league. In reality, taking the beasts out of the equation, 192 lbs for Stecher would be very similar to most guys actually running around.

I'd be more concerned about Ben Hutton playing at 182 lbs while 6'2''?  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

- Most guys are smaller as rookies breaking in to the league. Then put on muscle as they go. Stecher will be no different. 5'11'' and 192 lbs BTW is very muscular already for a player who will be playing with 7 or 9% body fat. Not to mention having dynamic speed, explosive quickness. That comes because he is strong.

- The 201lb average is also brought up by the Milan Lucic, Getzlaf & Byfuglien's of the league. In reality, taking the beasts out of the equation, 192 lbs for Stecher would be very similar to most guys actually running around.

Hutton should add a few more pounds yet. Ron Delorme was listed at 182, and then 185. 

On 4/17/2016 at 11:17 AM, cabinessence said:

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Interesting. Very interesting. According to the research, the average height and weight for the 2014-2015 season was 6'1" and 201 lbs. Ever more interesting is the standard deviation of 2" and 15 lbs.

By the definition of standard deviations in statistics, 68% of the normal distribution will lie within 1 standard deviation of the mean (or average). Essentially, 34% of all players will be 2" and 15 lbs above the average NHL player size of 6"1" and 201 lbs, and an additional 34% of all players will be below 2" and 15 lbs of the average NHL player size. In simple terms, 68% of all players in the NHL will be between 5'11" and 186 lbs to 6'3" and 216 lbs. 16% of players will be smaller than that range and an additional 16% of players will be bigger than that range. 

Only 16% of all NHL players are bigger than 6'3" and 216 lbs. That said, in the realm of a sport heavily based on movement and physics weight (and muscle) is the main factor in "size" as weight directly contributes to force and momentum. Assuming that Troy Stecher can physically handle a player that is 24 lbs heavier than him, one can assume that his size isn't of major concern as he will be able to physically handle 84% of all NHL players.

It will look even more promising taking into the account of NHL trends, such as the fact that it is becoming more and more of a young man's game based on skill and speed, both of which are or favour smaller players, and that Stecher may play closer to or around 200 lbs when he does make it up to the big club.

TL;DR: When it comes to Troy Stecher, kinda how but not really like my girlfriend said to me, "size isn't a concern." :lol:

• Upvote 4

Wasn't Kevin Bieksa 190 pounds when he came up?

When you consider the differences in the style of play as well as the general assumption that people are bigger than they were back then, it's not as surprising. What I mean by that is while players are bigger, stronger, faster, the big players who can't skate/aren't skilled are being phased out. Speed is something making a bit of a comeback as the NHL moves away from the enforcer role and more to players who can play so that balances it out as some smaller players are able to make an impact even if they're fringe or replacement level.

There are a lot of factors though, like with the rookies comment above they're coming in with far better training at this point and likely have more muscle mass than their equivalent back then.

6 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

When you consider the differences in the style of play as well as the general assumption that people are bigger than they were back then, it's not as surprising. What I mean by that is while players are bigger, stronger, faster, the big players who can't skate/aren't skilled are being phased out. Speed is something making a bit of a comeback as the NHL moves away from the enforcer role and more to players who can play so that balances it out as some smaller players are able to make an impact even if they're fringe or replacement level.

There are a lot of factors though, like with the rookies comment above they're coming in with far better training at this point and likely have more muscle mass than their equivalent back then.

Good point about the speed skill being emphasized.

This just makes a better case for Stecher having good success at the NHL level.

Regardless of the training being better nowadays for these kids. You still cant out train genetics or growth patterns of the human being. So it is inevitable that the kid will still pick up some more strength and muscle weight. He will probably still grow another inch too :) 

Exactly ^^^

23 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

Just having a right handed Dman in our system is huge. Every team in the playoffs seem to have a min 4 lefties playing the back end. Detroit would have 6 if it weren't for Green. Same with TB only having Sustr as a righty. 

I so wanted to sign Green last summer. Speed, a big shot, a guy who cant be guarded on the point because he blows past guys into the slot.

Bartkowski? Weber??? Phoooey! :angry:

It was a tad predictable us going backwards this year running with those two as our highlight UFA signings. :unsure: Dismantling our D and leaving it very under skilled, undersized. Yes I lobbied for Green. Yes I know, no guarantee he would sign. Yes I whinged and made this exact statement pre-season. The year before I wanted Niskanen instead of Miller.

Not that Stecher will jump right in and make an immediate difference. But nice to see Benning placing some guys (Stecher, Larsen) who can at least develop into a badly needed role. A role, literally, vacant for years. Its heading in the right direction again!

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Interesting. Very interesting. According to the research, the average height and weight for the 2014-2015 season was 6'1" and 201 lbs. Ever more interesting is the standard deviation of 2" and 15 lbs.

By the definition of standard deviations in statistics, 68% of the normal distribution will lie within 1 standard deviation of the mean (or average). Essentially, 34% of all players will be 2" and 15 lbs above the average NHL player size of 6"1" and 201 lbs, and an additional 34% of all players will be below 2" and 15 lbs of the average NHL player size. In simple terms, 68% of all players in the NHL will be between 5'11" and 186 lbs to 6'3" and 216 lbs. 16% of players will be smaller than that range and an additional 16% of players will be bigger than that range. 

Only 16% of all NHL players are bigger than 6'3" and 216 lbs. That said, in the realm of a sport heavily based on movement and physics weight (and muscle) is the main factor in "size" as weight directly contributes to force and momentum. Assuming that Troy Stecher can physically handle a player that is 24 lbs heavier than him, one can assume that his size isn't of major concern as he will be able to physically handle 84% of all NHL players.

It will look even more promising taking into the account of NHL trends, such as the fact that it is becoming more and more of a young man's game based on skill and speed, both of which are or favour smaller players, and that Stecher may play closer to or around 200 lbs when he does make it up to the big club.

TL;DR: When it comes to Troy Stecher, kinda how but not really like my girlfriend said to me, "size isn't a concern." :lol:

Yeah but I would imagine the distribution of nhl players' height and weight isn't normal.

20 minutes ago, hatedkid666 said:

Lots of talking about this guy in the chell next year. Wouldnt the AHL be a more reasonable expectation? Unless he has an unreal summer...

Is there really? With Hutton and Tryamkin coming out of nowhere and basically stealing spots this year, Sbisa and Larsen being given spots and needing to protect Pedan there isn't any room for him on the Canucks. Benning has said again recently that they are probably going to need 11 defensemen in any given year so it would make zero sense to put a waiver ineligible player in the lineup next year. I put McCann and Virtanen in that same boat and our injuries this last season and during the Torts season, make it clear that we need that minor league depth over the course of an 82 game season. 

Edited by canuckledraggin