The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrik Laine vs Auston Matthews

Auston Matthews Vs Patrik Laine   

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Matthews is definitely the better pick. He plays with more maturity and while he may not be a generational player like McDavid, he still should end up being an Elite Center/Franchise player.

Also, Matthews is a Center and generally speaking it's harder to find a really good C.

I think we already know what the results would be.  1 for Laine, the rest for Matthews. 

There is not one report I've read that has any expert putting Laine above Matthews.  I know little about either player other that the highlights and what I've read, but it looks like Matthews is the obvious choice.

Now, if we won the 1st I would not be upset to see us trade down to #2 or #3 if the return was right.  The battle between #2 and #3 seems highly contested between the Finns.  Though I'd prefer Laine, both are stars in the making.

Just now, Canorth said:

Austin Matthews reminds you of Dustin Brown? 

In terms of what his production will be, IMO he will hit 60 as a ceiling and float around there for his career.

Dont get me wrong Dustin Brown is effective (used to be) but Laine has more flash and has a higher celing of 80+ IMO.

Once again, just my opinion..

31 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I think we already know what the results would be.  1 for Laine, the rest for Matthews. 

There is not one report I've read that has any expert putting Laine above Matthews.  I know little about either player other that the highlights and what I've read, but it looks like Matthews is the obvious choice.

Now, if we won the 1st I would not be upset to see us trade down to #2 or #3 if the return was right.  The battle between #2 and #3 seems highly contested between the Finns.  Though I'd prefer Laine, both are stars in the making.

Why would you assume that?  Laine is #1 for me too.  I think he's going to be a jagr-like scorer.  I'm not at all sold on Mathews, he looked slightly above average in the world juniors.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Why would you assume that?  Laine is #1 for me too.  I think he's going to be a jagr-like scorer.  I'm not at all sold on Mathews, he looked slightly above average in the world juniors.

No kidding?  Ok, well I stand corrected.  I assumed virtually everyone would be on the Matthews bandwagon, considering:
1) He is the #1 consensus across virtually ALL "experts" to be drafted first overall.
2) He is a center, which someone already mentioned makes him more valuable than a winger.

I think Matthews will be a very good, even great, player, but I'm a little skeptical with the hype. He certainly gets a lot of buzz, especially from the Crow. Any one of the top 3 and I would be very happy. Wonder if Benning would consider trading down if we get 1st pick. My guess is highly doubtful. The return would have to be incredible. Say we get 1st pick and ARI gets 3rd. Would we trade Matthews to ARI (so he can play in his home-state), in exchange for Domi and ARI's 3rd? We would then also get Puljujarvi, and Horvat and Domi would be reunited. ??? That could be very exciting moving forward.

8 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

seems like a Ovechkin or Malkin comparison and between the two I'd take Ovechkin.  In this case that would be Laine.

The only comparable Laine has to ovi is his shot, he's not very fast and has slow foot speed,  He also doesn't hit that often, although he is hard to knock off the puck.  Ovi's is the opposite, fast, shot, and lays big hits.  Ovi is not a comparable to Laine.

Laine has the better shot (comparable to ovi's wrister) but that's about it.  

Matthews also has a shot (comparable to sakic's wrister)  Matthews has speed, Matthews has size, Matthews has the IQ, Matthews has compete, Matthews has a 2 way game. Matthews is a center. Matthews is by far the better player. 

But every year people try to make this debate.. Same thing happened with Eichel and Mcdavid,  Ekblad and the Sam's.  It's only cause is to create more hype for the draft, but when the 1st team goes up to the podium we all know which player is going to be selected first overall. 

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The only comparable Laine has to ovi is his shot, he's not very fast and has slow foot speed,  He also doesn't hit that often although he is hard to knock off the puck.  Ovi's is the opposite, fast, shot, and lays big hits.  Ovi is not a comparable to Laine.

Laine has the better shot (comparable to ovi's wrister) but that's about it.  

Matthews also has a shot (comparable to sakic's wrister)  Matthews has speed, Matthews has size, Matthews has the IQ, Matthews has compete, Matthews has a 2 way game. Matthews is a center. Matthews is by far the better player. 

I see what you're saying, I am not comparing Laine to Ovi or Matthews to Malkin, just how close Laine and Matthews are in terms of skill with each other and the comparison of Ovechkin vs. Malkin comes to mind.  I'd take the player that can put the puck in the net as a top scoring winger vs. a center when our center depth is looking alright.  I don't think Matthews is leap and bounds over Laine.  I think if the canucks somehow got the first(not going to happen) they would go with Matthews.  If I were JB and got the first I would try to trade down to the second and see if whoever holds the second(hopefully Arizona) would bite on a deal.  Don't need to ask for the sun and the moon but another draft pick would help with the rebuild.  

Matthews for sure. He might not be at McDavid's level but from what I hear, he is not that much behind McDavid. 

I thought the debate was between Laine vs Puljujarvi. If we had the #2 overall, which one do we pick? 

Just now, Tre Mac said:

I see what you're saying, I am not comparing Laine to Ovi or Matthews to Malkin, just how close Laine and Matthews are in terms of skill with each other and the comparison of Ovechkin vs. Malkin comes to mind.  I'd take the player that can put the puck in the net as a top scoring winger vs. a center when our center depth is looking alright.  I don't think Matthews is leap and bounds over Laine.  I think if the canucks somehow got the first(not going to happen) they would go with Matthews.  If I were JB and got the first I would try to trade down to the second and see if whoever holds the second(hopefully Arizona) would bite on a deal.  Don't need to ask for the sun and the moon but another draft pick would help with the rebuild.  

I understand, if we were really going to compare I'd say Laine is more of a Jamie Benn, or a Fransen with a more deadly shot.  Big, hard to knock of the puck, good skills, but not the most fleet of foot.

Matthews is more Kopitar with a dash of Sakic.  Big strong center who is a fast, and has all the tools to be a dynamite offensive player, yet doesn't shy away from the defensive side of the game.

Like another poster said... Matthews is a Centre, therefore you pick him.  Centres are rarer and worth more in the league.  Teams build around centres.  It is reasonable to predict Matthews will be a 1st line centre... who knows if it is a top end one or a below average one.

What is absolutely certain is that he would immediately be our best prospect to start replacing Hank in a couple of years.

Having said all that, I will not be terribly disappointed if we pick one of the Finns.

Archived