The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Draft Lotto

Inge34

Does anyone not read the other draft threads (this the 3rd one now!) Here is a link to last years draft (as posted in the "Question about the draft" thread) showing the balls, no not buttman's.........

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So four or five then?  That sounds like Chychrun might be a faller?  

Matthews

Finn

Finn

Dubois

Tkatchuk

Juolevi

Nylander

then Chychrun, or could he drop even more?

Mathews 

Fin

Fin

Have a feeling Tkatchuk will go 4th

Dubois 

Nylander 

Juolevi

Chychrun 

Sergachev

Just now, LordHorvat said:

Mathews 

Fin

Fin

Have a feeling Tkachuck will go 4th

Dubois 

Nylander 

Juolevi

Chychrun 

Sergachev

Ya, the guy did get cut from the WJC team, and is not really doing all that well at the U18.  

Where red do you see the two Penticton boys going?  Fabbro and Jost?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Ya, the guy did get cut from the WJC team, and is not really doing all that well at the U18.  

Where red do you see the two Penticton boys going?  Fabbro and Jost?

Jost and Fabbro probably between 10 and 15. Bean will be within that group too.. Just a guess anyway.

23 minutes ago, butters said:

no team has any one ball, so no you can't

24 minutes ago, butters said:

no team has any one ball, so no you can't

But you can. Say a team's combo is 5429. Well you just throw a few modified 5, 4, 2, and 9 balls.

1 minute ago, Baer. said:

But you can. Say a team's combo is 5429. Well you just throw a few modified 5, 4, 2, and 9 balls.

Why even bother with that? Does the teams have the list of the numbers (i.e like a lottery ticket?) Or are the numbers only known to the accountants? If it's the accountants only, no matter what number is drawn you can say it's New Jersey that won. Unless you have a photographic memory of the list, or you have the list in front of you how do you know who has what combination? 

33 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Does anyone not read the other draft threads (this the 3rd one now!) Here is a link to last years draft (as posted in the "Question about the draft" thread) showing the balls, no not buttman's.........

Can a mathematician explain the combinations

16 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why even bother with that? Does the teams have the list of the numbers (i.e like a lottery ticket?) Or are the numbers only known to the accountants? If it's the accountants only, no matter what number is drawn you can say it's New Jersey that won. Unless you have a photographic memory of the list, or you have the list in front of you how do you know who has what combination? 

If you watch the video, it explains all in detail. Yes, each team receives a list of numbers, Buffalo being last had the best chance with 200 sets of 4 number combos. The list is also made public on NHL.com the night before.

25 minutes ago, Baer. said:

As noted above Buffalo had 200 sets of 4 number combos, not likely they would have just 4 single numbers in all 200

You conspiracy theorists are so dumb it's not even funny.

Bettmans job is to keep the majority of the owners happy. You may argue he favors some of the bigger US markets, and also wants to see teams like FLA and ARI do well too... So why the hell would he rig it so EDM gets Mcdavid after they already have had 3 1st overalls in a row recently... It doesn't add up. You think the rest of the owners are happy about Edmonton getting Mcdavid??? Give your heads a shake.

2 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

I think the NHL is as corrupt as anyone but I can't think of any good reason they would fudge McJesus on to Edmonton last year. That alone tells me the system (though flawed) is probably legitimate. 

Afterwatchong the video from last year man did Bettman look disappointed after announcing Edmonton won the lottery. You could tell it was worst case scenario for him. No doubt in my mind that was as legit as it gets.

24 minutes ago, Baer. said:

I was wrong, I thought order mattered. 

Having said that:

- I don't know how a simple ball modification would rig it for the machine in the video

- it would be a lot more difficult this year, assuming they use the same balls for all 3 draws

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Do you think there really are this many 'real good' players in this draft, or do we just know a lot more about this particular draft year because of our season?

A bit of both likely. With the Canadian teams being out it seems like there is way more attention plus the new lottery system adds to it.

In my opinion from what I have read and seen and heard talked about is that this above average when it comes to top end talent and has some quality depth as well. I'm sure @S N Y P E R S 7 and @Gstank29 know more about that.

The video looks good. I don't believe they'll rig it.

The system is impressive as well, using a permutation to dictate the winner as opposed to pulling a single, random ball. I'd be curious as to how they'll do the lottery this year, as they're picking 1, 2 and 3. I'd imagine if all 3 of Vancouver, Edmonton and Toronto miss out on the #1 then the chances would go up proportionately. Would they then use 13 balls, decreasing the # of permutations, or would they simply eliminate the permutations of the team that won (and if one of those permutations was pulled, a redraw would occur). 

I guess for every possible scenario of each winner in the first 3 spots there would have to be a new setup for the subsequent pick. I'm just not sure what they've done to ensure that the loser's proportionate of the permuations goes up after missing the first pick. 

Archived