The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

U18 change Draft order?

AntiAquaman

U18 change draft order?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After reviewing performance's at the U18's I personally would put Jesse and Tkachuk above Laine and Keller made a case to move up a few spots.  Could be the Canadian and Russian kids just out performed by US and Scandinavian kids in this tourney, but big stage usually a good sign of things to come.  I am hoping for Jesse right now for us to Pick.

11 minutes ago, AntiAquaman said:

After reviewing performance's at the U18's I personally would put Jesse and Tkachuk above Laine and Keller made a case to move up a few spots.  Could be the Canadian and Russian kids just out performed by US and Scandinavian kids in this tourney, but big stage usually a good sign of things to come.  I am hoping for Jesse right now for us to Pick.

You're right Laine was invisible during that tournament :P 

8 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

A couple of games and you are changing your rankings...... 

CDC logic

Keller is soft skill like Marner, I wouldn't touch him until 8 or 9

I was personally always leary of Laine and I hope for Jesse on the assumption we do not get #1.  But is why I put it to a poll...curious to see what others think.  Keller didn't look that soft and Marner looking like a better pick than originally thought, but no one knows really till they play in NHL

5 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

You're right Laine was invisible during that tournament :P 

Yup clearly didn't elevate his draft standing in the eyes of the U-18 tourney. In the eyes of the SM-liiga playoffs and his 14 points in 17 games so far (2 potential remaining in the SM-liiga Cup finals) however...

I still prefer Puulujarvi over Laine.  He's just more dynamic and will likely make players around him better.  Laine is gonna be a great goal scoring machine, but I prefer the player that can make others better while also being a threat. 

In the U18, I just saw how the opposition wasn't sure how to defend against Puulujarvi.  Is he gonna shoot?  Or is he gonna make a great play?  He does both well.

Can't see how you could put any player ahead of Matthews or Laine.

As for Tkachuk, he had a great year in London, playing with Dvorak and Marner, but is he the real deal?  Some things being said about Tkachuk:

Playing on the top line with high-end NHL prospects Christian Dvorak (ARZ) and Mitchell Marner (TOR), Tkachuk's game has evolved into one of skill and strength. While not being a small player at 6'1", he plays bigger than he actually is and plays a power forward game with an offensive flair. Playing on the top line with Dvorak and Marner, Tkachuk hasn't been the one people notice when they see the Knights but has demonstrated great smarts and a tremendous skill set.

Oozes w/ offensive size & skill. Not the fastest player but has puck skills.

I would be happy with either Laine or Puljujarvi. Depending on who is picking at #2, I can see Puljujarvi to go before Laine.

From what I have seen, Laine is a goal scorer. So if your team is in need of a game breaker who can score goals in the playoffs to put the opponent away or to tie the game or to score the winning goal, then you go for Laine. If you want a complete player who makes the players around him better, then you might make a case to pick Puljujarvi before Laine. 

At the end of the day, to win in the playoffs, you need both. See Chicago for example. They have the best game breaker in the NHL (Kane) and the best overall player (Towes) in the league. 

I think we are in a dire need of a game breaker. We already have Horvat, who can become an elite level player in terms of playing the complete game. Do you think Puljujarvi possess the game breaking ability better than or equal to Laine? If so, we should pick Puljujarvi. If not, Laine offers something we are lacking.

I want Puljujarvi on our team so such it hurts. The only thing he doesn't do as well as Laine is shoot. We will have Boeser for that elite ability - though I will admit Brock is probably not at Laine's level of "snipage". But JP does so many other things at an elite level. I could see him going #2 depending on the team in that slot - hopefully it's the Canucks. But I must say again....to prevent a crushing feeling of dissapointment I am FULLY EXPECTING to pick 5th. I'm going to be a nervous wreck on Saturday. With a little (or a lot) of luck we could find ourselves with a franchaise player. This is BIG.

12 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I want Puljujarvi on our team so such it hurts. The only thing he doesn't do as well as Laine is shoot. We will have Boeser for that elite ability - though I will admit Brock is probably not at Laine's level of "snipage". But JP does so many other things at an elite level. I could see him going #2 depending on the team in that slot - hopefully it's the Canucks. But I must say again....to prevent a crushing feeling of dissapointment I am FULLY EXPECTING to pick 5th. I'm going to be a nervous wreck on Saturday. With a little (or a lot) of luck we could find ourselves with a franchaise player. This is BIG.

I don't get the argument of "they already have a bona fide sniper" argument.  Do you only want one? I'd love at least two world class snipers on the Canucks.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't get the argument of "they already have a bona fide sniper" argument.  Do you only want one? I'd love at least two world class snipers on the Canucks.

I hear what you are saying...I guess my preference is for a world class all-around player over an elite shooter. I'd be pretty ecstatic with Laine coming here too though. 

Can't lose drafting either one. :)

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

I hear what you are saying...I guess my preference is for a world class all-around player over an elite shooter. I'd be pretty ecstatic with Laine coming here too though. 

Can't lose drafting either one. :)

As would I with Pul

Archived