The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Please stop rushing players development on this team!

Steve Yzerman a legend in hockey, has to be applauded for the work he did with Drouin. Look at Drouin right now, he is playing like a pure stud and with confidence.

my concern heading forward with our management is I feel they are rushing players and not giving the guys in the farm who are busting their behinds and paying their dues a fair chance. 

I been reading the forums like always what worries me is management thinks like Canucks' fans, and I feel if they do pick a Dubios or Tkachuk they will end up rushing them like they did with McCann and Virtanen. 

This is not good for a player, just look at how babcock is doing it with the leafs. Mitch Marner another year in the OHL, even though he went high. Rushing players is messing up their overall development, and I know were desperate to see something flashy but last year showed us rushing our players was not a smart choice. 

Virtanen and McCann should have both went back to juniors. Heading forward hopefully our glorious management gets it right and stops rushing players due to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$(ticket sales) from fans, and starts giving guys like Griener, Zaleswki, Friesen and Gaunce fair shots. 

3 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Steve Yzerman a legend in hockey, has to be applauded for the work he did with Drouin. Look at Drouin right now, he is playing like a pure stud and with confidence.

my concern heading forward with our management is I feel they are rushing players and not giving the guys in the farm who are busting their behinds and paying their dues a fair chance. 

I been reading the forums like always what worries me is management thinks like Canucks' fans, and I feel if they do pick a Dubios or Tkachuk they will end up rushing them like they did with McCann and Virtanen. 

This is not good for a player, just look at how babcock is doing it with the leafs. Mitch Marner another year in the OHL, even though he went high. Rushing players is messing up their overall development, and I know were desperate to see something flashy but last year showed us rushing our players was not a smart choice. 

Virtanen and McCann should have both went back to juniors. Heading forward hopefully our glorious management gets it right and stops rushing players due to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$(ticket sales) from fans, and starts giving guys like Griener, Zaleswki, Friesen and Gaunce fair shots. 

You are right.  Although, I think both McCann and Virtanen will be in the AHL next season.  

1 minute ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Kinda what you wanted to do with Bo-Sang. 

5 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Virtanen and McCann should have both went back to juniors.

McCann had nothing left to accomplish and Virtanen would have been placed in positions Vancouver didn't want him to be.

Maybe they shouldnt have any turnover ever and just let all the old people play forever. Just let Higgins and Burrows keep there spots on the team. Lets not have competition for spots and show these younger players that the season is long and that it takes alot of work to get through.

8 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Virtanen and McCann should have both went back to juniors.

To be fair, they did earn their spot in camp. They didn't just get a free ride, they worked hard to stay on the team. Although I do agree, they should at least play in Utica next year.

8 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

McCann had nothing left to accomplish and Virtanen would have been placed in positions Vancouver didn't want him to be.

Virtanen could have definitely used a season under juniors, he fails at making simple hockey plays, and his passing definitely needs to be improved before we can think of giving him a future 2nd line role. Lots of improvement needed on the kids game, looking lot like a future Dorsett.

this guy was a top pick, so we need him to turn out to be atleast a 2nd line guy who can produce 40-50 points in the future, right now that looks off big time.

I agree, but I think Virtanen did pretty well down the stretch and McCann was lights out early in the season... Would have been tough to justify sending him back.  In the meantime, if the brass are to be believed, they focused on keeping him in the gym all year.  

I'd wager McCann spends most of the year with Utica next season.  Not as sure about Jake. Boeser said that he had full support of JB in going back to college and Benning said that the whole time publicly. 

For this draft Benning has been saying beyond the top 3 in the draft no one is NHL ready so I bet our picks return to Jr.  The push to get Vey/Etem/Granlund/Pedan/Tryamkin/Baertshi also seems to suggest that JB is trying to get younger without rushing in the picks.

So I agree, but don't see it as concern yet despite Virt and McCann's last season.

6 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Virtanen could have definitely used a season under juniors, he fails at making simple hockey plays, and his passing definitely needs to be improved before we can think of giving him a future 2nd line role. Lots of improvement needed on the kids game, looking lot like a future Dorsett.

this guy was a top pick, so we need him to turn out to be atleast a 2nd line guy who can produce 40-50 points in the future, right now that looks off big time.

You always find a way to top yourself, eh.

Can't go back in time. I was/am one of those who stress proper development and not to rush, They should have both been sent back before the 40 game mark. It was poor asset mgmt as well as development of prospects. Canucks burnt off a year of both players ELC and UFA eligibility. Not that JB would care what happens in 7 years because GMs in Canada only last around 4 years. 

In the future I hope over ripen their prospects before bringing them up full time. That's the model TO is following and Babs has made it known that he would not have signed in TO had the ownership and mgmt not committed to doing things the "right way"

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

In the future I hope over ripen their prospects before bringing them up full time. That's the model TO is following and Babs has made it known that he would not have signed in TO had the ownership and mgmt not committed to doing things the "right way"

UMMMMMMMM Most of Torontos kids have had less than 1 season in the AHL, yet they are over ripe :bigblush:

Archived