The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Doesn't Get Enough Credit

Mattrek

6 hours ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

Jim Benning has this under control.

One day after getting Guds for Mccn 4th and 2nd he gets Nilsson. We  didn't draft him but by signing him it's like we recouped our 4th pick in this years draft. An added plus is that he's a few years along in his development as well, so he might be even better now than years past. Either way, deals like this are like picking in the draft,in the fourth round, where anything goes. 

Thats why people need to chill out and let JB steer the ship. He's getting $&!# done. He's not avoiding and ignoring our problems. He's addressing our biggest issues and he's doing a fair job evaluating and valuing talent. People lose their $&!# that a 4th became a 5th, in the Van-Flo Trade but when Mr.Benning goes and signs a 22 yo defensively and (potentially) offensively gifted d man, no one praises the man. Like seriously. Wtf

Benning is building us a beauty, the muppets and haters are losing their sh*t over every singe move, pathetic but not surprising, this fanbase is filled with people with shallow roots in the province and country.
Piles of tards that don't know the game and gobbling up the vomitous idiocy of The Province and Team 1040 trolls and hacks.

7 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I don't really hate any of Benning's trades but I am confused as to what exactly his direction is.

We can all agree that reason he is trading picks and assets is because of the "Gillis" gap. Well, unfortunately, Benning could be making his own gap with rushing this rebuild. The timing of that gap may be even worse then the one left by Gillis. Right about the time the Sedin's retire. 

He has traded FAR more 2nd rnd picks then he has drafted. With his scouting background that might be a huge opportunity lost. We are the 3rd worse team in the league yet we have less picks then a lot of the teams that made the playoffs. Even Bob Mac is confused. 

How people can say the players he has drafted are home runs is absolutely ridiculous. None of them including Brock Boeser have proven anything in the NHL.  

We are a team that should be stocking up for the inevitable departure of the Sedin's and Edler. We might be feeling some pain 5 years from now. 

JB's direction is he's trying to build a big, tough, physical, hardworking, fast team..I wouldn't be worried as a fan of any 'gap', he and Linden are trying to avoid a losing mentality, and instead attempting to install a winning one in the new young core..here we are worried that his scouting prowess isn't being used on all these 2nd round picks he's missing out on, but if you think about it, he's using his scouting prowess on these new core pieces he's bringing in, on players such as Gudbranson - using his judgement to bring in players with certain intangibles that these advanced stats can't show..good on him to go against the trend, and potentially use this advanced stats trend that every other GM is going on to his advantage..and of course we can't claim any of our prospects are home runs, they are still prospects, but by bringing in these prospects into a winning culture, the Canucks are increasing their odds of being successful..And I personally, after watching many Nucks games, am not a big fan of Edler, his giveaways and inconsistent play, I hope they get a prospect/pick or two this draft for him, and then either resign Hamhuis, or even a bit more of an offensive D man UFA..

53 minutes ago, harrytoolips said:

JB's direction is he's trying to build a big, tough, physical, hardworking, fast team..I wouldn't be worried as a fan of any 'gap', he and Linden are trying to avoid a losing mentality, and instead attempting to install a winning one in the new young core..here we are worried that his scouting prowess isn't being used on all these 2nd round picks he's missing out on, but if you think about it, he's using his scouting prowess on these new core pieces he's bringing in, on players such as Gudbranson - using his judgement to bring in players with certain intangibles that these advanced stats can't show..good on him to go against the trend, and potentially use this advanced stats trend that every other GM is going on to his advantage..and of course we can't claim any of our prospects are home runs, they are still prospects, but by bringing in these prospects into a winning culture, the Canucks are increasing their odds of being successful..And I personally, after watching many Nucks games, am not a big fan of Edler, his giveaways and inconsistent play, I hope they get a prospect/pick or two this draft for him, and then either resign Hamhuis, or even a bit more of an offensive D man UFA..

Turn Edler into either Sergachev/Joiliveri / Chycrun 
Turn Miller and Hansen into Logan Brown.

Draft either Tkachuk or Dubois.

58 minutes ago, Positive Canuck said:

Turn Edler into either Sergachev/Joiliveri / Chycrun 
Turn Miller and Hansen into Logan Brown.

Draft either Tkachuk or Dubois.

I doubt Edler would get us a 1st round pick that high would he???

And Miller and Hansen together a first round pick in the top 15?

But I like your optimism!

Just now, harrytoolips said:

I doubt Edler would get us a 1st round pick that high would he???

And Miller and Hansen together a first round pick in the top 15?

But I like your optimism!

really like the Gudbranson trade,

I'm hoping Benning can land Logan Brown with a second first rounder he can get somehow in a trade. 

2 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Extra 1st as in Erik Gudbranson?

regards,  G.

We are going around in circles man. I'm saying acquiring players like Gudbranson for picks could leave holes in the prospect pool down the line. No matter how you look at it, he is paying to win now with the "money" of the future.

I freaken love Gudbranson. I can honestly say I have never been more excited about a trade for any player. I absolutely love these kind of defensemen. 

What I don't like is how we are using picks to win now when we are one of the leagues lowly. We didn't even have the luxury of trading our UFA's for picks. We should be going into the draft with a surplus of picks not less than half the playoff teams. 

This is starting to look like the Gillis Era all over again only we suck. I'm starting to think it's not management at all, it ownership. Win now at any cost. 

34 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

We are going around in circles man. I'm saying acquiring players like Gudbranson for picks could leave holes in the prospect pool down the line. No matter how you look at it, he is paying to win now with the "money" of the future.

I freaken love Gudbranson. I can honestly say I have never been more excited about a trade for any player. I absolutely love these kind of defensemen. 

What I don't like is how we are using picks to win now when we are one of the leagues lowly. We didn't even have the luxury of trading our UFA's for picks. We should be going into the draft with a surplus of picks not less than half the playoff teams. 

This is starting to look like the Gillis Era all over again only we suck. I'm starting to think it's not management at all, it ownership. Win now at any cost. 

New York Rangers acquire Date Vancouver Canucks acquire
New_York_Rangers.gif Raphael Diaz
March 5, 2014
5th round pick Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Florida Panthers acquire Date Vancouver Canucks acquire
Florida_Panthers.gif Roberto Luongo
Steven Anthony
March 4, 2014
Jacob Markstrom
Shawn Matthias
Vancouver_Canucks.gif

Ottawa Senators acquire Date Vancouver Canucks acquire
Ottawa_Senators.gif Patrick Mullen
March 4, 2014
Jeff Costello Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Montreal Canadiens acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Raphael Diaz
February 3, 2014
Dale Weise Montreal_Canadiens.gif
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Carolina Hurricanes acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Zac Dalpe
Jeremy Welsh
September 29, 2013
Kellan Tochkin
2014 4th round pick
Carolina_Hurricanes.gif
New Jersey Devils acquire Date Vancouver Canucks acquire
New_Jersey_Devils.gif Cory Schneider
June 30, 2013
2013 1st round pick (#9-Bo Horvat) Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Dallas Stars acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Derek Roy
April 2, 2013
Kevin Connauton
2013 2nd round pick
Dallas_Stars.gif
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Anaheim Ducks acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Andrew Gordon
February 27, 2012
Sebastien Erixon Anaheim_Ducks.gif
Buffalo Sabres acquire Date Vancouver Canucks acquire
Buffalo_Sabres.gif Alexander Sulzer
Cody Hodgson
February 27, 2012
Zack Kassian
Marc-Andre Gragnani
Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Columbus Blue Jackets acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Samuel Pahlsson
February 27, 2012
2012 4th round pick
Taylor Ellington
2012 4th round pick
Columbus_Blue_Jackets.gif
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Florida Panthers acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif 2013 3rd round pick 
Steven Reinprecht
David Booth
October 22, 2011
Marco Sturm
Mikael Samuelsson
Florida_Panthers.gif
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Mike Duco
July 9, 2011
Sergei Shirokov Florida_Panthers.gif
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date New York Islanders acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif 2012 4th round pick 
June 27, 2011
Christian Ehrhoff New_York_Islanders.gif
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Minnesota Wild acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif 2011 3rd round pick (#70-David Honzik) 
2011 4th round pick (#100-Joseph Labate) 
June 25, 2011
2011 2nd round pick (#60-Mario Lucia) Minnesota_Wild.gif
Anaheim Ducks acquire Date Vancouver Canucks acquire
Anaheim_Ducks.gif Joel Perrault
2012 3rd round pick 
February 28, 2011
Maxim Lapierre
MacGregor Sharp
Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Christopher Higgins
February 28, 2011
Evan Oberg
2013 3rd round pick
Florida_Panthers.gif
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Nathan Paetsch
October 7, 2010
Sean Zimmerman Florida_Panthers.gif
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Andrew Peters
October 6, 2010
Darcy Hordichuk Florida_Panthers.gif
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Nashville Predators acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Jonas Andersson
Ryan Parent
October 5, 2010
Dan Gendur
Shane O`Brien
Nashville_Predators.gif
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Keith Ballard
Victor Oreskovich
June 25, 2010
Steve Bernier
Michael Grabner
2010 1st round pick (#25-Quinton Howden)
Florida_Panthers.gif
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date St. Louis Blues acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Yan Stastny
March 3, 2010
Pierre-Cedric Labrie St._Louis_Blues.gif
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Andrew Alberts
March 3, 2010
2010 3rd round pick (#85-Austin Levi) Carolina_Hurricanes.gif
San Jose Sharks acquire Date Vancouver Canucks acquire
San_Jose_Sharks.gif Daniel Rahimi
Patrick White
August 28, 2009
Christian Ehrhoff
Brad Lukowich
Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Arizona Coyotes acquire Date Vancouver Canucks acquire
Arizona_Coyotes.gif rights to Shaun Heshka 
June 27, 2009
2009 7th round pick (#186-Steven Anthony) Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Anaheim Ducks acquire Date Vancouver Canucks acquire
Anaheim_Ducks.gif Mike S. Brown
February 4, 2009
Nathan McIver Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Los Angeles Kings acquire Date Vancouver Canucks acquire
Los_Angeles_Kings.gif 2009 7th round pick (#202-Jordan Samuels) 
December 30, 2008
Jason LaBarbera Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Chicago Blackhawks acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif future considerations 
December 9, 2008
Jim Sharrow Chicago_Blackhawks.gif
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Tampa Bay Lightning acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Shane O`Brien
Michel Ouellet
October 6, 2008
Lukas Krajicek
Juraj Simek
Tampa_Bay_Lightning.gif
Vancouver Canucks acquire Date Ottawa Senators acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif Lawrence Nycholat
September 2, 2008
Ryan Shannon Ottawa_Senators.gif

The Gillis era deals where there is a significant imbalance of youth/picks going out for the assets coming back.

1.) The Ballard deal - the right idea, but it didn't really work out.

2.) Pahlsson for two 4ths.

3.) Roy for Connauton and a 2nd.

4.) Rahimi/White for Erhoff/Lukowich.

5.) Alberts for a 3rd(?)

The difference here is that Gillis was  trading away assets for older players, older as in rentals and/or guys who were on their last legs. Benning's deals may also be for "older" players, but we're talking about guys who are five(ish) years or less older and are likely here for possibly 10 or more years. Big difference.

If there's a gap in the Canuck prospect pool from the current Benning's trades, then I suspect it will be a very, very small one. Incoming: one extra 1st, outgoing: two 2nd, one 4th, 1 5th, 1 6th. I'll take the quality over the quantity.

regards,  G.

Just remember JB was responsible for that starting lineup, just because his first offseason was a disaster, doesn't mean he deserves credit for fixing what he started.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against what he's done, but he doesn't deserve anything yet.  If and when he shows that this team is improving, then I'll give him credit, until then, the jury is still out.

No one deserves credit when the team has the worst record in a very long time with quality veteran players like both Sedins, Hamhuis, Edler, Miller, Vrbata etc are apart of the team.  

3rd worst doesn't deserve any credit

I don't mind Benning using credit to acquire the odd asset as long as he can cover the interest in the future.

How ever he won't earn credit without proving it with results on the ice.

By the overall direction Benning and company have been going I have no doubt that it will soon translate to the ice.

I trust Benning 100%.

All of his picks appear to have the potential to play pro. His trades also aren't as lopsided as everyone makes them out to be.

You don't know what you have until it's gone I guess. Just be grateful we have a GM that can find guys like Boeser in later rounds.

As long as Benning is our GM, we'll never fall as far as we have again.

On May 29, 2016 at 8:12 PM, mpt said:

Just remember JB was responsible for that starting lineup, just because his first offseason was a disaster, doesn't mean he deserves credit for fixing what he started.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against what he's done, but he doesn't deserve anything yet.  If and when he shows that this team is improving, then I'll give him credit, until then, the jury is still out.

No one deserves credit when the team has the worst record in a very long time with quality veteran players like both Sedins, Hamhuis, Edler, Miller, Vrbata etc are apart of the team.  

3rd worst doesn't deserve any credit

Why do you think being 3rd worst is exclusively Benning's fault? How about the fact Vrbata decided to mail in his season, how about the fact we lost our defenceman to injuries throughout the season (hell we had Weber and Bartkowski as a pairing due to all the injuries), how about the fact we lost our number two centre for most of the season, how about the fact we were filled with aging veterans who didn't do much, how about the fact we had 8 different players play their first game as a Canuck. A season doesn't happen in a vacuum. Why do you put all the blame on the GM? If he had a healthy line-up I guarantee we wouldn't be nearly that far back. We lost far too many key pieces for far too long to be able to make anything out of our season.

14 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

Why do you think being 3rd worst is exclusively Benning's fault? How about the fact Vrbata decided to mail in his season, how about the fact we lost our defenceman to injuries throughout the season (hell we had Weber and Bartkowski as a pairing due to all the injuries), how about the fact we lost our number two centre for most of the season, how about the fact we were filled with aging veterans who didn't do much, how about the fact we had 8 different players play their first game as a Canuck. A season doesn't happen in a vacuum. Why do you put all the blame on the GM? If he had a healthy line-up I guarantee we wouldn't be nearly that far back. We lost far too many key pieces for far too long to be able to make anything out of our season.

Did I solely blame JB?  You read a lot in between the lines.  No one deserves any credit for this season, including our GM

On 5/29/2016 at 7:27 PM, LaBamba said:

Gillis was trading picks for rental players. Benning is not. Gillis was trying to "win now" while Benning is trying to "speed up" the rebuild. Big difference.

On May 30, 2016 at 1:06 AM, Positive Canuck said:

Benning is building us a beauty, the muppets and haters are losing their sh*t over every singe move, pathetic but not surprising, this fanbase is filled with people with shallow roots in the province and country.
Piles of tards that don't know the game and gobbling up the vomitous idiocy of The Province and Team 1040 trolls and hacks.

Totally agree, and the irony is that I never played more than street shinny and only got into the Nucks a few seasons ago. 

So, I'm inclined it ain't just shallow roots that prevent these cats from seeing how it is...

On May 30, 2016 at 10:06 PM, mpt said:

Did I solely blame JB?  You read a lot in between the lines.  No one deserves any credit for this season, including our GM

When every post you make has something to do with blaming Benning without mentioning any other factor that went into this season it's pretty easy to get the impression you only blame him.

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 7:27 PM, LaBamba said:

I posted something similar myself.  I think that Benning has to be careful how many picks he moves for players in their early 20's because there is a danger that in the future, he might create the same issue as he has now by not having enough draft picks who become players in a certain age group.  In an ideal world, he should be getting at least 1, preferably 2 players every draft who become NHL regulars.

If Benning is going to trade away a pick, in general, I'm ok with it as long as he makes it count. 

On your concern, I would really like to think that this year Benning will get at least 1 NHL regular from the draft.  Does he need to keep adding players in their early 20's?  Maybe not, it depends how they all work out

28.  Biega

27.  Sutter

26.  Sbisa, Tanev, Markstrom, Larsen

25.  Rodin, Grenier, Vey

24.  Baertschi, Etem, Gudbranson, Garteig

23. Zalewski, Granlund, Hutton, Pedan

22. Gaunce, Tryamkin, Stecher

21.  Horvat

20.  Virtanen, Demko

19.  Boeser, Briesbois

18.  TBD

Archived