The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Doesn't Get Enough Credit

Mattrek

3 hours ago, Stanky Legs said:

You guys are so easy to please. That lineup is nothing compared to most teams in the west. That prospect pools is inferior compared to most teams in the NHL. 

Incorrect. Most team prospect rankings have the Canucks from 8-14th. Adding a top 5 pick won't exactly hurt that ranking either. 

2 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Incorrect. Most team prospect rankings have the Canucks from 8-14th. Adding a top 5 pick won't exactly hurt that ranking either. 

8-14th is CDC's ranking. You can bunch ALL of our prospects and it won't be enough for McDavid.

I don't like the trade one bit lets say jared turns out to be a 

toews like player which I see in him. He was the best goal scoring ability prospect we have ever had.  But let's say he becomes a top six 30 40 goal scorer and eric turns out to

be a 3 pairing dman is everyone still gonna have trust inbennings hockey skills or direction he's going in? 

9 minutes ago, hateleafs said:

I don't like the trade one bit lets say jared turns out to be a 

toews like player which I see in him. He was the best goal scoring ability prospect we have ever had.  But let's say he becomes a top six 30 40 goal scorer and eric turns out to

be a 3 pairing dman is everyone still gonna have trust inbennings hockey skills or direction he's going in? 

But Gudbranson is something we have missing while McCann is something we already have in the lineup (Horvat, Sutter) as a centre and he is someone we can easily replace in this draft. We have H. Sedin, Sutter, Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels as centres right now and we will probably add PLD who is better than McCann. The question would be where that would leave McCann. Its always better to trade from area of depth to fill an area we are lacking such as D. Even with the addition of Gudbranson, we still need to add some more to it to become competitive again. 

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

But Gudbranson is something we have missing while McCann is something we already have in the lineup (Horvat, Sutter) as a centre and he is someone we can easily replace in this draft. We have H. Sedin, Sutter, Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels as centres right now and we will probably add PLD who is better than McCann. The question would be where that would leave McCann. Its always better to trade from area of depth to fill an area we are lacking such as D. Even with the addition of Gudbranson, we still need to add some more to it to become competitive again. 

Good point. But hank is done sutter is third line center bo is second line so better hope we get Dubois. I'm just hurting for canner lol

1 hour ago, Stanky Legs said:

8-14th is CDC's ranking. You can bunch ALL of our prospects and it won't be enough for McDavid.

Lol.... Yeah or Mathews.  But guess what, we didn't win the lottery or have 4 number 1 picks.  In fact we have never had a number one pick.  

For you to discount our prospect pool on a lottery draw is silly.

SJ has now proved you can retool, keep your old stars and succeed.  Mark my words... If we get stamkos and make a few more moves watch out.  We will be contenders in in a few years WITH the Sedins 

Horvat, Henrik, Stamkos, Sutter?  Now that is depth down the middle 

ok why is something like losing cann a big issue when the the need for big tough reasonably skilled dmen has ALWAYS been lacking here?

Scoring is great to have but it has to be matched with not giving to up scoring with a average defense... Gb's arrival helps that and cann's leaving was a gamble at worst because he might never be consisnt where Gb already has shown that even on the Panthers roster which is saying a lot!

1 hour ago, Stanky Legs said:

Wrong again. They're ranked 8-14th...easy to find with a google search. As for McDavid..wtf does that have to do with where we're ranked? 

If Virtanen and Boeser become top 6, Demko becomes a #1 goalie, Tryakin becomes top 4. Those 2 draft years would set us up really nice. Don't forget McCann and Forsling as well. Anytime you can grab so many NHLers in 2 drafts, it's all good news. 

Trader Jim is already the best GM the Canucks have ever had.

Love the guy...  More trades please.  I love the look of our new direction and additions.  

Now what exactly does he have up his sleeve prior to and at the draft?  More great deals is my guess.

Analytics are for schmucks, and the Oakland A's.

Hockey is an eye test.  Trader Jim is seeing 20/20.

5 hours ago, Stanky Legs said:

You guys are so easy to please. That lineup is nothing compared to most teams in the west. That prospect pools is inferior compared to most teams in the NHL. 

Our goalie prospect depth is pretty sweet.

In 2 more years of drafting and development I think we will have some of the best depth if Benning keeps finding guys like he has been. When was the last time we had players coming in from the KHL, juniors, Swedish league, Utica, college and trades all in same year? 2-3 more years of that and teams will be coming to us looking to deal for our excess prospects.

6 hours ago, Mattrek said:

Now I'm not one of those people who believes every trade Benning does is a home run, but he seriously does not get enough credit for what he's done to the team in just a couple short years.

He's made our team younger (by a mile), faster and bigger. Now of course not all of these prospects will work out, most won't, but the fact that we've managed to solidify our roster and still have decent call-ups in case of injuries speaks volumes about just how much Benning has done to improve this team in such a short period of time.

Benning has given fans a lot more to hope for. And the current team certainly is younger, faster, and bigger than it was two years ago.  But I am inclined to judge Benning on results. I am not going to complain about last year's season in light of the talent pool he inherited, although 3rd to last overall and 2nd to last in scoring is pretty bad, especially as Toronto was deliberately tanking and locked up last place.  In fact, by the end of the season I was hoping for losses so we would have a good draft. I was disappointed that he did not accumulate some extra draft picks, though.

The team has gotten younger, but not just through the draft. Benning has picked up a lot of guys in their early 20s (and some key acquisitions in their mid-20s) instead of relying primarily on the draft. But guys at that age are not all that far from peak performance. Some guys are late bloomers, but good players usually exhibit good NHL-level performance by age 22 to 24, especially forwards. 

What I am getting at is that I think next year's performance will be a fair indicator of whether Benning's strategy is working. Not every acquisition will do well but some guys from the group including Baertschi, Etem, Vey, Rodin, Larsen, Granlund, Pedan and Tryamkin will need to show that they are good, consistent, productive NHL level players, not just "tweeners" or "prospects". And obviously Sutter and Gudranson need to play like "foundational" players. We also expect the high draft picks from recent years to continue to progress. And, overall, I  think the team will need to look a lot better next year than it did last year if we are to judge Benning's strategy successful.

If Benning was following the "patient" strategy of relying on the draft we would of course want to give him more time before really assessing his performance. But he is taking a faster strategy so we should start to see the results of it (good or bad) by next year. 

But the way, I am NOT saying that a patient strategy is necessarily better or that Benning's strategy of bringing in a lot of slightly older guys instead of accumulating draft picks is bad. I don't know which strategy is better. I just think that we should start to get a good read on his strategy from next year's results. There are of course good players in the system (Boeser, Demko, and whoever we get at #5 in this year's draft) who will not be able to contribute to the team next year. But other teams also have very good players in their pipeline.

22 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Benning has given fans a lot more to hope for. And the current team certainly is younger, faster, and bigger than it was two years ago.  But I am inclined to judge Benning on results. I am not going to complain about last year's season in light of the talent pool he inherited, although 3rd to last overall and 2nd to last in scoring is pretty bad, especially as Toronto was deliberately tanking and locked up last place.  In fact, by the end of the season I was hoping for losses so we would have a good draft. I was disappointed that he did not accumulate some extra draft picks, though.

The team has gotten younger, but not just through the draft. Benning has picked up a lot of guys in their early 20s (and some key acquisitions in their mid-20s) instead of relying primarily on the draft. But guys at that age are not all that far from peak performance. Some guys are late bloomers, but good players usually exhibit good NHL-level performance by age 22 to 24, especially forwards. 

What I am getting at is that I think next year's performance will be a fair indicator of whether Benning's strategy is working. Not every acquisition will do well but some guys from the group including Baertschi, Etem, Vey, Rodin, Larsen, Granlund, Pedan and Tryamkin will need to show that they are good, consistent, productive NHL level players, not just "tweeners" or "prospects". And obviously Sutter and Gudranson need to play like "foundational" players. We also expect the high draft picks from recent years to continue to progress. And, overall, I  think the team will need to look a lot better next year than it did last year if we are to judge Benning's strategy successful.

If Benning was following the "patient" strategy of relying on the draft we would of course want to give him more time before really assessing his performance. But he is taking a faster strategy so we should start to see the results of it (good or bad) by next year. 

But the way, I am NOT saying that a patient strategy is necessarily better or that Benning's strategy of bringing in a lot of slightly older guys instead of accumulating draft picks is bad. I don't know which strategy is better. I just think that we should start to get a good read on his strategy from next year's results. There are of course good players in the system (Boeser, Demko, and whoever we get at #5 in this year's draft) who will not be able to contribute to the team next year. But other teams also have very good players in their pipeline.

I think that heading into his third year on the job,we will need to see tangible results..Although,the following year (2017-18) would most likely seen Brock Boeser and the #5 overall in the lineup.

5 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

We need to keep in perspective that Benning has only been on board for two years and has made significant positive changes to the Canucks' line-up and to our prospect pool. It is hard to argue that the team, under his direction, has not gotten younger, faster and bigger and this is exactly what he said he was going to do when he came to the organization. Some fans and media will always question draft choices and trades and I am pretty sure Benning was well aware of this when he accepted the GM role.

Benning has brought other intangibles to the role as well. He has been very decisive and quickly moves forward with the changes he deems need to be made (again he will have detractors that will not agree with these decisions). In my mind, this has helped to take away the circus atmosphere that previous management seemed to be embroiled in more often than not such as the Luongo/Schneider fiasco.

There is a lot more that needs to be done but I certainly think we are headed in the right direction.

This is exactly right, bigger, faster younger, AND tougher...he's building this team for the playoffs, and wants them to be competing again soon..

Meh, once the Canucks are competitive again, the pulp media will be all puzzling "Why are the Canucks doing so well?", with the underlying but unspoken presumption "because we all hate them and want to find reasons/excuses to bash them somehow", and the conclusion being "they're just over-achieving, they'll be back to garbage again soon".  Wasn't that long ago that they were the class of the league and the media fell over themselves trying to find ways to discredit them.

If every trade Benning made was amazing for the Canucks, no GM would trade with him anymore!  You can't steal from teams and expect to keep making trades.  JB realizes that a hockey trade is a hockey trade and that fair value has to be returned in order to keep building your team.  Trade for players that you want in your organization and that fill key roles.  Offer redundant pieces that could help other teams.  Don't try to trade for potential superstars every time, when you need some grinders to fill out your roster (ok we have a lot of grinders and could use a couple more superstars).  But be careful because too many superstars and you are             cap-crunched!

5 hours ago, combover said:

One of the lowest scoring team last season, no offence from the d, a lineup that lack scoring and skill both up fron and on the back end. Trading picks for fring nhlers,bottom pairing d men, and 4th liners. His return on the trades he's made has been pitiful. Compete incompetence when dealing with ufas . Horrible contracts. 

There isn't an hockey expert (someones who's paid )out there that thinks this guy is good.i hate cbc tsn as much as the next guy but a some point you need to realize that when everyone saying the same thing chances are it's right. 

The only direction benning has is to get big and less and less skill. 

Of all the trades he's made the only guy that's even show any sign of top 6 skill is bear. That is just plain brutal. Throwing picks away like candy then whining at the draft that he has no picks. 

Top 3 worst gms in franchise history(Keenan nonis benning and the stats to prove it),worst gm currently working in the nhl and will be happy next summer when he's fired. That's before the lottery ball is picked with Vancouver having the top chance. 

So Yeah he should get loads of credit for putting together one of the least skilled teams in franchise history. 

K-Lowe = Jim benning.

You really personify Sooke as a whole, I think

Archived