The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

14 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Whether he fully recovers or not, if I were Baertschi I would take a long look at calling it a career. At some point it's just not worth it.

At 26 he is in his prime money years right now.  Hard to step away. Even with all the concussions he has had previously reported and who knows how many further under reported.

He has gotta feel too that if there was more stink made about his cheap shot like there was for Petersson, the league would have been forced to do something.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

At 26 he is in his prime money years right now.  Hard to step away. Even with all the concussions he has had previously reported and who knows how many further under reported.

He has gotta feel too that if there was more stink made about his cheap shot like there was for Petersson, the league would have been forced to do something.

When i watched the hit I didn't think it was all that bad. That said from watching TV which can be pretty misleading. I guess what is so upsetting is that if the hit wasn't that bad and he is still concussed for this long he likely is done for at least the season. Like many on here you have to fear for his long term health.  

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

When i watched the hit I didn't think it was all that bad. That said from watching TV which can be pretty misleading. I guess what is so upsetting is that if the hit wasn't that bad and he is still concussed for this long he likely is done for at least the season. Like many on here you have to fear for his long term health.  

Even medical professionals dealing, and treating concussions have no idea what the time line is, what triggers them, or why some recover quicker than others. That said, watching him when he skated off the ice and seemed to be chirping either the officals or the guy who hit him, I can honestly think that none of us thought he would be out for this long. When Malkin hit Willie Mitchell, when Moore hit Naslund, you knew right of the bat that something was serious. I've seen the effects of concussions first hand. This person I know has been dealing with one for over a year and a half after a fall. That fall combined with a few knocks to the head from down hill skiing have taken there toll. The pittance the NHL is offering those plaintiffs in the lawsuit is laughable. These peoples lives are ruined to the point where I don't think they know what a normal life is, or should be. Andrew Alberts, is a prime example, as is Marc Savard.

Sure turned out worse than expected, feel bad for Baertschi. This was his 5th concussion? And apparently the worst one yet. I really wonder if it's worth it for him to continue playing. He's got a young family and will want to remain healthy in life. Even if he does come back, how effective will he be along the boards battling or in front or blocking a shot? Unfortunately, I don't see him coming back and being the same player.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sure turned out worse than expected, feel bad for Baertschi. This was his 5th concussion? And apparently the worst one yet. I really wonder if it's worth it for him to continue playing. He's got a young family and will want to remain healthy in life. Even if he does come back, how effective will he be along the boards battling or in front or blocking a shot? Unfortunately, I don't see him coming back and being the same player.

When Willie had the concussion at the end of his time with Vancouver management said they did not think it was in Mitchell's interest to continue playing. He went on to 2 CUPs with LA and then finished in Florida. I don't know what Willie's health history was and comparison is not intended. Just a cautionary that what we know means little. I totally agree that long term health with 5 concussions to date could be a deciding factor. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

When Willie had the concussion at the end of his time with Vancouver management said they did not think it was in Mitchell's interest to continue playing. He went on to 2 CUPs with LA and then finished in Florida. I don't know what Willie's health history was and comparison is not intended. Just a cautionary that what we know means little. I totally agree that long term health with 5 concussions to date could be a deciding factor. 

Willie Mitchell proved a lot of people wrong, amazing to win 2 Cups after some (including me) thought his career might be over.

• Upvote 4

On 11/25/2018 at 12:49 PM, Chip Kelly said:

I agree. I hope he isn't medically forced to stop. He has already made 18 mil through his career. Although producing through this contract could have easily made him another 10+.

Players dont seem to be messing around with head injuries anymore, which I'm happy to see. 

For the life of me I cant find a video of the hit.

If, for some unfortunate reason, Baertschi is unable to continue playing, what is the Canucks plan for replacing Baertschi as a #1LW?

The LW depth isn't very good on this team, even with Baertschi on it, so I'm hoping a trade can be made at some point, to bring in a top 6 LWer for Pettersson. There are no LW prospects outside of Utica and Vancouver. That's troubling.

Is Goldobin good enough as a #1LW? I think they could do better.  

Goldobin is the one who would best fill those shoes for now as I just don't see a much better option on the team or on the farm at the moment. If they consider making a trade, how much are they going to surrender in order to obtain an elite left winger? I don't think the team is willing to give up a top draft pick with the draft being in Vancouver this year.

You think they can do better... can you provide some player names to go with that comment and what you think the Canucks would have to give up in order to make it happen?

51 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If, for some unfortunate reason, Baertschi is unable to continue playing, what is the Canucks plan for replacing Baertschi as a #1LW?

The LW depth isn't very good on this team, even with Baertschi on it, so I'm hoping a trade can be made at some point, to bring in a top 6 LWer for Pettersson. There are no LW prospects outside of Utica and Vancouver. That's troubling.

Is Goldobin good enough as a #1LW? I think they could do better.  

Would rather not go down this line of thinking in his thread with him still trying to recover. But maybe I am just a PC cry baby. 

• Haha 1

Oh gosh, I'm sure none of them would come cheap. Will Dahlen be a #1LW when he's ready in a year+? Or will he get his feet wet playing 3rd line until he earns it? Sounds like he still needs a lot of work on his defensive game. There's Goldobin, who is a fine player, and he's kind of all they have right now.

Nino Neiterreiter

Andres Lee

Jaden Schwartz

These players would be good.

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Oh gosh, I'm sure none of them would come cheap. Will Dahlen be a #1LW when he's ready in a year+? Or will he get his feet wet playing 3rd line until he earns it? Sounds like he still needs a lot of work on his defensive game. There's Goldobin, who is a fine player, and he's kind of all they have right now.

Nino Neiterreiter

Andres Lee

Jaden Schwartz

I made a thread at the beginning of the year about Artemi Panarin.

I'm pretty sure Anders Lee isn't going anywhere since he was just named captain this year.

All of the players previously mentioned IMO, could be decent additions but I don't think the Canucks would be willing to trade their higher end prospects or high order draft picks in order to acquire them. Their stated plan was to build the team from the ground up through the draft and for the most part they have not deviated from that. The signing of Beagle, Schaller and Roussel as free agents in the summer was to fill some glaring holes and are short term patches that allow the young prospects  such as Lind, Gadjovich, Dahlen and others to properly develop on the farm team. 

I am a fan, but I am also a realist. This team is not likely to make the playoffs this year and even if they do would not likely last long. They just do not have the experience or depth yet to be a serious contender and again it is my opinion that they are better served to continue along the path they have chosen and hopefully that path includes Baertschi.

• Like 1

Considering where the D and goaltending is at, the Canucks are not a Cup contender by any means, but could possibly make the playoffs once they get healthy. There's a determination with this group. I don't think the Canucks will make any major moves, and will stand pat with who they have. Next year more will be revealed, Gagner and Del Zotto will be gone, maybe more guys. Maybe Benning signs 1 or 2 more UFAs next summer. I don't know if Dahlen and Juolevi will be ready next year. They should be.

I think the decision of what moves on defense to make at the TDL will depend in large part as to how far the D in Utica have progressed up to that point. Have any of players McEneny, Brisbois, Sautner and Juolevi progressed enough to be seriously considered for prime time? It does seem likely that Del Zotto will be moved to make room for Juolevi at the TDL But will Tanev also be moved? Just sheer speculation on my part and I certainly could be dead wrong but I think both are moved at that time. DZ for a pick and Tanev for a player and a pick..... Stay tuned.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Nino Neiterreiter

Andres Lee

Jaden Schwartz

Or We need to draft Matthew Boldy ;)

8 minutes ago, hoholla sk said:

Or We need to draft Matthew Boldy ;)

Very possible. Canucks probably won't finish in the bottom 3 (and probably won't win a lottery spot), and could even get close to a playoff spot. Boldy could go around #15, where I think they draft.