The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

You of all the ivy tower prospect geeks should know, that draft positioning doesn't determine anything. From what I remember of the 07' draft, it was the big 3 of JVR/Kane/Turris, any of which could have gone 1st that year. As far as I'm concerned Couture went under the radar, if only for being overshadowed.

My point however, was primarily a complement to Gaunce and his playing style. Some of his nasty dekes remind me of Couture, my opinion which was again was meant as a complement.

Haha - I like the backhanded compliment directed at me.

Fair enough - I can agree with your point. I guess another similar comparison would be J. Skinner. (i.e. being underestimated skill level)

Edited by Squeak

Haha - I like the backhanded compliment directed at me.

Fair enough - I can agree with your point. I guess another similar comparison would be J. Skinner. (i.e. being underestimated skill level)

Wow, didn't realize Couture spent so much time developing. 4 years in the OHL?

I think we should take our time with Gaunce, and not to expect too much from him right away.

Excellent!

What kind of expectations should we put on him for points this season? I was hoping he would definitely improve on his 1 PPG pace from last season. Around 90 points would be nice.

Points are just one indicator. Nick Jensen is a good example of that. A PPG player in the OHL who is physically mature and defensively sound will do a lot better than an undersized, high scoring player who can't backcheck. Personally, I'm more concerned with what AV thinks of him come next training camp.

Excellent!

What kind of expectations should we put on him for points this season? I was hoping he would definitely improve on his 1 PPG pace from last season. Around 90 points would be nice.

He's on the wrong team to get that many points. Bellville is the lowest scoring team in the OHL with the second best defence.

After missing the 8 games he will be hard pressed to match his 68 from last year.

I am more concerned about his defence. -9 in 16 games on a very strong defence first team worries me. His rookie season Guance put up great numbers but sucked defensively. He improved by miles last year.

I was a little upset that we didn't pick Henrik Samuelsson, anyone agree,

Hope to see a lot of no's

HS was consistently rated as one of the worst skaters of the draft (early rounds). No way MG was gonne go that route after CoHo.

Gaunce was it if you wanted a solid NHLer, albeit maybe not top 6 material. Wait & pray.

He's on the wrong team to get that many points. Bellville is the lowest scoring team in the OHL with the second best defence.

After missing the 8 games he will be hard pressed to match his 68 from last year.

I am more concerned about his defence. -9 in 16 games on a very strong defence first team worries me. His rookie season Guance put up great numbers but sucked defensively. He improved by miles last year.

He's their top center, and he's a shutdown guy. He plays against the OHL's best forwards, which is quite a talented group of players right now.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. He struggled a bit getting on the right side of the +/- early, but since that bad start, he's rarely a minus player.

Edited by DeNiro

Guest Gumballthechewy

That was mostly because of one bad game by the whole team, +/- is the last stat you want to judge a player by, especially a forward.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Gaunce will be a Couture like player, underestimated but has a lot of talent.

Nothing against Gaunce, but Couture has far more offensive skills, then Gaunce, even heading into the 07 draft, Coture skill sets including, very high offensive skills, as for Guance, solid 2 way player. Look at Coture last year, he made the all star team. I'm not knocking on our own prospect, no no no, but just sayin.

HS was consistently rated as one of the worst skaters of the draft (early rounds). No way MG was gonne go that route after CoHo.

Gaunce was it if you wanted a solid NHLer, albeit maybe not top 6 material. Wait & pray.

Because that's worked out sooo bad for Coho :P