The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Sorry, I'm just not as high on Gaunce as everyone else seems to be. If he could learn to become a face puncher, with more grit, I could see him as a Prust/Dorset player. Otherwise I just don't think he's a skill guy.

Then you are blind and nothing else needs to be said.

Not worried that he got sent down. Wouldn't be surprised that it's just to clear a roster spot until they can put Higgins on IR.

• Upvote 2

Then you are blind and nothing else needs to be said.

Not worried that he got sent down. Wouldn't be surprised that it's just to clear a roster spot until they can put Higgins on IR.

Whether he's on the team or not is not really an issue with me. I like the guy. I just think he needs to be either quicker, or tougher to be an effective player.

Shame, I thought Gaunce deserved at least 1 more game because Virtanen was given a prime chance to shine with Baertschi and Horvat. Gaunce has been paired with some rubbish linemates in the preseason and I thought he had a far more well-rounded game than Virtanen and McCann. He plays much better defensively and is much stronger on the puck in the defensive zone than the two rookies.

Absolutely, Gaunce looks like the hardest guy to play against if you're the opposition, a true warrior. I haven't jumped on the bandwagon to criticise Benning or Willie yet but this kind of stinks of rotten politics considering he's not a "Benning" sweat heart draft pick or traded for player. I'm still waiting but not holding my breathe to see Vey do anything at all in the preseason to show he belongs on the team.

Edited by GarthButcher5

Absolutely, Gaunce looks like the hardest guy to play against if you're the opposition, a true warrior. I haven't jumped on the bandwagon to criticise Benning or Willie yet but this kind of stinks of rotten politics considering he's not a "Benning" sweat heart draft pick or traded for player. I'm still waiting but not holding my breathe to see Vey do anything at all in the preseason to show he belongs on the team.

*Because: asset management.

• Upvote 1

Sure sounds like you've jumped on the Benning Hate Wagon.

If you honestly think that Benning would move Gaunce because he isn't one of his draft picks or trade pick ups, then why are Markstrom, Hutton, Horvat and the veteran core that everyone wants shipped out still around? Riddle me that one, there, "I'm not about to criticize Benning and Willie" card carrying member.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I'm just not as high on Gaunce as everyone else seems to be. If he could learn to become a face puncher, with more grit, I could see him as a Prust/Dorset player. Otherwise I just don't think he's a skill guy.

Whether he's on the team or not is not really an issue with me. I like the guy. I just think he needs to be either quicker, or tougher to be an effective player.

Can't agree with you here, Alf. Gaunce's skating is fine and his amazing hockey IQ gets him to the puck quicker than most. He is exeptional along the boards and is very hard to push him off the puck. He also appears to have the 'intangibles' as a leader and is a very consistent and responsible hockey player.

He reminds me of Taylor Pyatt, but with a greater hockey sense. A career 3rd liner, who is solid defensively and can chip in a few goals when needed.

He was sent down so that McCann and Virtanen could get in a few more games. JB really likes Gaunces 'meat and potatoes' game and I fully expect him to be on the team when the others are sent back to jrs.

Can't agree with you here, Alf. Gaunce's skating is fine and his amazing hockey IQ gets him to the puck quicker than most. He is exeptional along the boards and is very hard to push him off the puck. He also appears to have the 'intangibles' as a leader and is a very consistent and responsible hockey player.

He reminds me of Taylor Pyatt, but with a greater hockey sense. A career 3rd liner, who is solid defensively and can chip in a few goals when needed.

He was sent down so that McCann and Virtanen could get in a few more games. JB really likes Gaunces 'meat and potatoes' game and I fully expect him to be on the team when the others are sent back to jrs.

I can see the Pyat comparison. I accept that. I sure hope you are right, because I really do like the kid. He certainly has leadership qualities. (I still believe his feet are slow though)

What dod you think about him after his season in Utica?

Some similarities, more in personality. Gaunce is much more skilled, more hockey sense and plays with far more intensity. For the record, I always liked Pyatt.

Gaunce was probably the best fit to sub in for Higgy. Management seems like they want to give McCaan a look. If it weren't the start of the season and Higgins got injured, he would be the first called. Not the end of the world. I'm sure Gaunch knows how the business works by now.

Some similarities, more in personality. Gaunce is much more skilled, more hockey sense and plays with far more intensity. For the record, I always liked Pyatt.

I did too. 859 NHL games is nothing to scoff at. I think Taylor got a lot of flack because he was such a high draft pick. I also think the tragic death of his fiance may have set him back.

The beauty of this conversation is that Gaunce has shown that he took a giant leap forward in only one year as a pro and appears to be ready to make the jump to the NHL, either this year or next.

There's going to be some serious competition in Utica now and I really hope Gaunce gets time back at center to push for that 4C position on the Canucks.

The beauty of this conversation is that Gaunce has shown that he took a giant leap forward in only one year as a pro and appears to be ready to make the jump to the NHL, either this year or next.

There's going to be some serious competition in Utica now and I really hope Gaunce gets time back at center to push for that 4C position on the Canucks.

I think Benning said that he is happy with Gaunce on the wing. He is getting better at battling along the boards and his talents seem more suitable as winger. I also thought that he would have made a good 4th then 3rd line center, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

he's an honest power checking forward. Could be peverley-esque if his offense translates, which i think it will.

I haven't seen many of his AHL goals, but the few that he has scored in pre-season, this year and last, he's usually standing or driving the edge of the crease. That's a good thing. Burrows used to get all of his goals that way, hopefully Gaunce is a younger version of him.

If Vey were not an asset, he would not be on the team. Your hatred does not get to decide who is an asset or an NHLer. Benning and Linden make those decisions.

Hatred is a strong word and it is very dishonest to put words in my mouth that I haven't said.

The thing is when other players have actually shown that they have improved their play as opposed to a guy who gets every chance and chokes in key situations, I'd rather pay money to watch the guys that are showing improvement .

Hatred is a strong word and it is very dishonest to put words in my mouth that I haven't said.

The thing is when other players have actually shown that they have improved their play as opposed to a guy who gets every chance and chokes in key situations, I'd rather pay money to watch the guys that are showing improvement .

At least he's more reliable then Kassian. If we can get a 3rd out of vey then by all means take it though.