The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Sorry, I'm just not as high on Gaunce as everyone else seems to be. If he could learn to become a face puncher, with more grit, I could see him as a Prust/Dorset player. Otherwise I just don't think he's a skill guy.

Whether he's on the team or not is not really an issue with me. I like the guy. I just think he needs to be either quicker, or tougher to be an effective player.

Still have yet to watch a single game, eh.

Whether he's on the team or not is not really an issue with me. I like the guy. I just think he needs to be either quicker, or tougher to be an effective player.

There's more to the game than speed and toughness you know. There's far more to this game than that. That being said, have you not been seeing how much faster his stride is compared with last year? He's working on it. He's getting stronger and It's apparent.

He doesn't need to fit into some random "mold" of toughness or speed to make it. He just needs to find a niche on the team and continue, and perhaps even elevate, his compete level.

There's more to the game than speed and toughness you know. There's far more to this game than that. That being said, have you not been seeing how much faster his stride is compared with last year? He's working on it. He's getting stronger and It's apparent.

He doesn't need to fit into some random "mold" of toughness or speed to make it. He just needs to find a niche on the team and continue, and perhaps even elevate, his compete level.

I don't think I said he needs to get faster. I believe I said quicker. He's got slow feet, and needs to improve that if he wants to be a top nine guy. If he can't, then he needs to be a physical presence. He's very bright, and adjusted to sing exceptionally well. I see no reason why he can't become a face puncher type energy guy, who can score a bit too.

I don't think I said he needs to get faster. I believe I said quicker. He's got slow feet, and needs to improve that if he wants to be a top nine guy. If he can't, then he needs to be a physical presence. He's very bright, and adjusted to sing exceptionally well. I see no reason why he can't become a face puncher type energy guy, who can score a bit too.

lol what.. You make it sound like Gaunce has 0 potential. He is already a 0.5 ppg player in the AHL at 21 years old. And I have my bets you are going to eat your shoes in regards to Gaunce in 2-3 years.

lol what.. You make it sound like Gaunce has 0 potential. He is already a 0.5 ppg player in the AHL at 21 years old. And I have my bets you are going to eat your shoes in regards to Gaunce in 2-3 years.

Faster than 2 - 3 years IMO. I expect to see his first NHL game this year.

What's the difference?

Edited by The Lock

Great, thanks for not answering my question....

I guess we are not connecting. My issue with Guance is he has slow feet. If I'm reading you right, you believe he's a fast skater, with which I don't disagree? If that does not answer your question I don't know what else to type. I like Guance, but believe he needs to lean out, and work on quick feet. How do you differ in opinion on his feet, and his speed?

I guess we are not connecting. My issue with Guance is he has slow feet. If I'm reading you right, you believe he's a fast skater, with which I don't disagree? If that does not answer your question I don't know what else to type. I like Guance, but believe he needs to lean out, and work on quick feet. How do you differ in opinion on his feet, and his speed?

I said he's making improvements. Those improvements are noticable to the point where he will likely be a callup. I also stated that he doesn't necessarily "need" speed and doesn't necessarily need to be in a mold to find his niche.

It's pretty apparent that you think speed and quickness are 2 different things. I asked you to explain why they are different. I don't see how my posts said otherwise (unless if you're worried about your own post count over actual like... reading....)

I said he's making improvements. Those improvements are noticable to the point where he will likely be a callup. I also stated that he doesn't necessarily "need" speed and doesn't necessarily need to be in a mold to find his niche.

It's pretty apparent that you think speed and quickness are 2 different things. I asked you to explain why they are different. I don't see how my posts said otherwise (unless if you're worried about your own post count over actual like... reading....)

Not my debate but I'll jump in with this. Speed is about open ice and top end velocity. Primarily useful in the neutral zone or on rush plays in the offensive zone. Gaunce is ok in this area, as he has time and space to get his legs moving.

Quickness is about 'tight motion', stops and starts, agility, and moving from one spot in the offensive or defensive zone to another in a few steps. This is where a guy like Patrick Kane really stands out. Gaunce isn't overly quick in these situations as he has a bit of 'heavy feet', which isn't overly surprising given his size and frame. Few guys his size are overly 'quick'.

Gaunce is looking like he'll be a regular NHLer fairly soon and probably even a very good bottom 6 forward who plays the PK, eats up hard minutes, and does all the little things well. He's got a great frame and is a very smart, cerebral player. He has improved his skating to the point where you can see him playing at the NHL pace (though he'll never be 'quick'). Personally I think he and Cassels could form 2/3 of a very solid third line some day, with Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Boeser, and maybe Shinkaruk forming the nucleus of the top 6 in a few years. And that would be pretty good to have from just 4 drafts (2012-2015).

Oh, I get it now. My apologies for the slowness on the uptake :)

Yes I do see top end speed and acceleration as two different skills. I'm not a physics guy, so I differ proper explanation to those types. From my simple POV acceleration is the time it takes to get to top speed. Guance takes more time to get to his top speed than I like, which hurts him, especially getting to spots which are close to him. This (I see) making it harder for him to effect the play in those circumstances. This was similar to criticism of Horvat - fast enough, but not quick enough. Horvat leaned out and did specific exercises to maximize his natural abilities. I'm thinking Guance needs to lean out, and do similar exercise - if he's not already. Some athletes are just naturally quicker than others.

Oh, I get it now. My apologies for the slowness on the uptake :)

Yes I do see top end speed and acceleration as two different skills. I'm not a physics guy, so I differ proper explanation to those types. From my simple POV acceleration is the time it takes to get to top speed. Guance takes more time to get to his top speed than I like, which hurts him, especially getting to spots which are close to him. This (I see) making it harder for him to effect the play in those circumstances. This was similar to criticism of Horvat - fast enough, but not quick enough. Horvat leaned out and did specific exercises to maximize his natural abilities. I'm thinking Guance needs to lean out, and do similar exercise - if he's not already. Some athletes are just naturally quicker than others.

The game Gaunce plays doesn't call for the kinda of 'quickness' you speak of. He has phenomenal position from what I have seen. Being smart trumps being quick 9/10. Gaunce isn't a top 6, but he's a future 3rd, and a great one at that.