The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

2 minutes ago, Stormriders said:

I like his 6'2" 220 lb frame, maybe just use it a little more.

If he wants to stick with Vancouver this year he needs to add some snarl and physicality to his game, otherwise he is likely going to be waived. Management has other players now that play a defensive style similar to Brendan's but they also have the toughness and a bit of a scoring touch that for some reason Brendan lost somewhere along the way.

I've been a support of Gaunce, but I certainly hope that he plays with a bit more intensity.  Not saying he's does flybys or he needs to fight, but he's a big strong guy, he should be throwing more of his weight into his checks like how Virtanen does.  While he does finishes he hits... they aren't "painful".

I can understand if he wishes to play a more passive game, but you either have play centre or be some defensive wizard.... something he's not quite at yet.  

That being said, I hope he's able to have more defensive responsibilities.  If he's on the Canucks, I hope he's one of the first guys out for d-zone draws, on the PK, and on the ice to protect the lead.  

3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If he wants to stick with Vancouver this year he needs to add some snarl and physicality to his game, otherwise he is likely going to be waived. Management has other players now that play a defensive style similar to Brendan's but they also have the toughness and a bit of a scoring touch that for some reason Brendan lost somewhere along the way.

Well if we are looking for snarl and physicality, Leipsic is not as good as Gaunce imo. 

We need to be fair to Gaunce and as Stormriders says compare him fairly ie what is his role, who are his line mates, what are his minutes etc? I really worry about waiving Gaunce before he has had say, a dozen games, in an offensive role with more skilled faster line mates.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I've been a support of Gaunce, but I certainly hope that he plays with a bit more intensity.  Not saying he's does flybys or he needs to fight, but he's a big strong guy, he should be throwing more of his weight into his checks like how Virtanen does.  While he does finishes he hits... they aren't "painful".

I can understand if he wishes to play a more passive game, but you either have play centre or be some defensive wizard.... something he's not quite at yet.  

That being said, I hope he's able to have more defensive responsibilities.  If he's on the Canucks, I hope he's one of the first guys out for d-zone draws, on the PK, and on the ice to protect the lead.  

To be fair in season 2016-17 Gaunce played 57 games and was the top forward for hits and 5th o/a.

He was also 24th in giveaways (6) of all players who played more than 20 games.

Last season he carried an injury for quite some time.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Well if we are looking for snarl and physicality, Leipsic is not as good as Gaunce imo. 

We need to be fair to Gaunce and as Stormriders says compare him fairly ie what is his role, who are his line mates, what are his minutes etc? I really worry about waiving Gaunce before he has had say, a dozen games, in an offensive role with more skilled faster line mates.

I would like to see Travis give him a shot in a more offensive role with complementary players as well but I don't think that is going to happen.

24 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I would like to see Travis give him a shot in a more offensive role with complementary players as well but I don't think that is going to happen.

This might happen in the pre-season. Green knows that Gaunce can score at the NHL level, he just has to convince Gaunce of that. Once the season starts, if Gaunce is on our roster, he will be Beagle's LW.

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

Maybe he would be a good compliment to EP and they can switch off center depending on the situation. 

I don't want Gaunce anywhere near Pettersson. Pettersson needs some gifted offensive players with him so he can help them put up points. Gaunce on a line with Pettersson makes zero sense to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

I don't want Gaunce anywhere near Pettersson. Pettersson needs some gifted offensive players with him so he can help them put up points. Gaunce on a line with Pettersson makes zero sense to me.

Not a fan of that idea either. Would rather see Sutter on his wing to help him break into the role as a center man as a previous poster, "Hutton Wink" I think, had suggested. To me that would make a lot more sense. Don't get me wrong; I would love to see Brendan have one hell of a good training camp and make it very hard for management to send him to Utica via waivers

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Well he helped Think put up points did he not? I don't think Shink was the same player when Gaunce was not on his line. One thing Gaunce is NOT short of imo is hockey IQ. That is why I think he needs more offensive line mates.

Not sure that would be EP either though but you never know eg Gaunce is pretty fast and can be physical enough to take the heat off EP.

These goals make me think Gaunce has what it takes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-zrgpsODqw

Edited by alfstonker
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Well he helped Think put up points did he not? I don't think Shink was the same player when Gaunce was not on his line. One thing Gaunce is NOT short of imo is hockey IQ. That is why I think he needs more offensive line mates.

Not sure that would be EP either though but you never know eg Gaunce is pretty fast and can be physical enough to take the heat off EP.

You know who else can do that? Virtanen, Roussel, Schaller and Archibald. In the future, Lind and Gadjovich. We have committed rosters right now to fill that role and players in the future to fill that roll.   

Gaunce is irrelevent. The writing is on the wall for this guy. 

1 minute ago, vannuck59 said:

Why

Gaunce has always played LW. I might have missed him playing RW. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as playing with Beagle goes, I'm of the mind that Green has two defensive lines in his plans. One being pure d only, ie Beagle plus two, the other ( slightly more offense ) being Sutter plus two. Gaunce ( if he makes the roster ), fits with Beagle, Schaller, with a slightly more offensive side, fits nicely with Sutter.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Gaunce has always played LW. I might have missed him playing RW. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as playing with Beagle goes, I'm of the mind that Green has two defensive lines in his plans. One being pure d only, ie Beagle plus two, the other ( slightly more offense ) being Sutter plus two. Gaunce ( if he makes the roster ), fits with Beagle, Schaller, with a slightly more offensive side, fits nicely with Sutter.

Gaunce is a C/LW. You are right. 

He has size, good two way ability and has shown he can put up numbers when relieved of the center responsibilities in lower leagues. 

Added to that he played with McDavid in jr and was decent. 

What he could offer is a second faceoff guy while play LW wing. He likely has a better chance of sticking that way then as a center. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

So you predicting that Gaunce will out play Schaller and Rousell on their natural wings moving them to right wing fair enough, as far as Leipsic and Goldobin one may get waived but not both.

Having guys like Gaunce, Leipsic, and Goldobin make our team shows how bad we are.  Maybe not this year, but I see (for sure) next year young, much better, players taking those three guys’ spots.  

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Schaller is a 4th liner only. He should not be on the 3rd line in my opinion. Roussel is a solid 3rd liner though.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1