The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Weber can still be sent down since he already cleared waivers once correct?

That's what I thought but apparently not.

No, waivers and the AHL/NHL roster rules for trade deadline day are two different issues.  Yes  players that are not waiver exempt have to clear waivers before being papered but they still actually have to be papered to be sent to the AHL at any point after trade deadline day.  

Even if they had no intention of sending Weber down they still could have papered him to give them future flexibility.  

Edited by J.R.

Just now, Jiggs50 said:

He's struggled, but my point was that we should have given him a bigger chance. Maybe his career arc is different. Oh well. 

Maybe if we'd 'given him a chance' he never gets the kick in the arse of being traded and consequently waived by a poor team that got him his piddly one good season.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Maybe if we'd 'given him a chance' he never gets the kick in the arse of being traded and consequently waived by a poor team that got him his piddly one good season.

Lol. Yeah who knows. 

Anyway, I'm excited to watch Gaunce tonight! 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I would have liked to see him waive Vrbata given the dearth of trade interest.

Nobody would have picked him up at $5m and he would have been a huge boost down there.

Vrbata is basically a very expensive practice pylon (cone).  

Just now, Alflives said:

I accept that.  Maybe, he's more needed up here though?  

For being scratched or a poor fit on our third line.? The sweet sound of pucks pinging off posts and out?

John Garret just loves to talk about them and their sweet, sweet ping.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

For being scratched or a poor fit on our third line.? The sweet sound of pucks pinging off posts and out?

John Garret just loves to talk about them and their sweet, sweet ping.

True, but he like to stand around and do nothing, so the practice pylon is perfect.  Plus, do you really want him down in Utica?  He's whining up here because he's not playing with the Twins.  Could you imagine him down there?  

Just now, Alflives said:

True, but he like to stand around and do nothing, so the practice pylon is perfect.  Plus, do you really want him down in Utica?  He's whining up here because he's not playing with the Twins.  Could you imagine him down there?  

I don't really see him whining that's all media/fan speculation (garbage).

I see him struggling, squeezing the stick, frustrated with his performance etc. Haven't heard him whining.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

You are blowing the whining thing way out of proportion.  You make it sound like he literally cries in the dressing room after he sees the lineup

:bigblush:  "Holding Back The Tears"  Simply Red

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Definitely nice to salvage something for sure. You always have that what if feeling though.

There was a point where Jensen looked like he belonged in the NHL. He was even given a shot with the Sedins. And then for whatever reason AV demoted him to a bottom 6 role, and from then on he kind of just faded away. I would have liked to see him stick at that point.

As for Shinkaruk there's still a big gamble there. Granlund projects to be a two way third liner, whereas Shinkaruk is a top 6 or bust pretty much. If he becomes that top 6 player he was drafted to be we lose that trade big time. It was just nice to finally have a player in the system with that top 6 skill set. We know we have enough bottom 6 guys. Now we have to wait on Boeser to see if he'll become that player.

To be fair with Shinkaruk and Baer down the LW for the next few years as top 6 guys would make us a real tiny team. Gaunce or Boeser however would add good size and two way ability although Boeser is a natural RW