The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

9 hours ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

To be fair with Shinkaruk and Baer down the LW for the next few years as top 6 guys would make us a real tiny team. Gaunce or Boeser however would add good size and two way ability although Boeser is a natural RW

Jake can play either wing, can't he? 

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Jake can play either wing, can't he? 

Seems like they want him on the right side, but his big season in junior he played both wings

Baer-Horvat-Virtanen

Gaunce-McCann-Boeser

Seems like that's where this team is heading right now at least, but some x factors like Rodin, Granlund, Etem, Vey, Zhuk could all over achieve in the coming years and push guys. Plus our high pick this year and whatever free agents we add. Mixed with some vets like the Sedins for a couple more years, and Sutter, maybe a Hamhuis extension and I like the mix.

Edited by WonderTwinPowers

3 hours ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

Seems like they want him on the right side, but his big season in junior he played both wings

Baer-Horvat-Virtanen

Gaunce-McCann-Boeser

Seems like that's where this team is heading right now at least, but some x factors like Rodin, Granlund, Etem, Vey, Zhuk could all over achieve in the coming years and push guys. Plus our high pick this year and whatever free agents we add. Mixed with some vets like the Sedins for a couple more years, and Sutter, maybe a Hamhuis extension and I like the mix.

I can't really see Rödin playing top six minutes. or even have a top six role in the NHL. but we'll see I guess. are the Canucks trying to sign him and bring him over and play with the big club this season? or is he going to start again in the AHL and work his way up? 

i see Etem, Granlund, Vey as all middle to bottom six type players. they're good support pieces. but not necessarily pieces you build around a franchise. 

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I can't really see Rödin playing top six minutes. or even have a top six role in the NHL. but we'll see I guess. are the Canucks trying to sign him and bring him over and play with the big club this season? or is he going to start again in the AHL and work his way up? 

i see Etem, Granlund, Vey as all middle to bottom six type players. they're good support pieces. but not necessarily pieces you build around a franchise. 

Benning has stated they plan on signing Rodin in the summer, and where he plays will probably depend on his training camp. But it'll be a one way deal for sure. 

And I agree about Etem, Granlund and Vey. But you never know who overachieves after a good summer, it's happened before.

On 3/4/2016 at 1:14 PM, WonderTwinPowers said:

Benning has stated they plan on signing Rodin in the summer, and where he plays will probably depend on his training camp. But it'll be a one way deal for sure. 

And I agree about Etem, Granlund and Vey. But you never know who overachieves after a good summer, it's happened before.

Granlund will be our 2c soon...

On 3/5/2016 at 3:17 PM, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

not even close, if your talking about AHL yes but in the NHL granlund will always remain a future 3-4 th liner. 

LOL, Not even close?

Watch if Horvat or Henrik gets injured he'll move to the 2nd line and do fine... He is still young at 22. 

Once fully developed in the NHL he'll be the kind of player you want on your 3rd line to win the cup imho... 

18 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

not even close, if your talking about AHL yes but in the NHL granlund will always remain a future 3-4 th liner. 

hoping that Granlund can become what Hansen is today. Hansen was projected to be a third or fourth line player. but he's having a great year. and he's such a versatile player. I think Granlund can become a similar type player. don't think he will ever become a first line player. but I don't think it's a stretch to say that he can play top six minutes and fill in admirably. but he's probably more suited to the third line centre or wing and maybe be a tweener in terms of a second liner. he is still very young at 22 years of age. so there's room for him to grow still. hoping for the best in terms of Granlund's development and growth projection as a player. 

1 hour ago, 草 Kusa 草 said:

LOL, Not even close?

Watch if Horvat or Henrik gets injured he'll move to the 2nd line and do fine... He is still young at 22. 

Once fully developed in the NHL he'll be the kind of player you want on your 3rd line to win the cup imho... 

I hope he keeps pushing at the very least, this team has actually gotten really young, really quickly. I'd prefer him at 3c as opposed to Vey with Bo and Jared lining up at 1/2

But there's still Sutter, Henrik, Vey for him to pass permanently

On 3/6/2016 at 4:27 PM, WonderTwinPowers said:

I hope he keeps pushing at the very least, this team has actually gotten really young, really quickly. I'd prefer him at 3c as opposed to Vey with Bo and Jared lining up at 1/2

But there's still Sutter, Henrik, Vey for him to pass permanently

+1

As the twins get older their 5-on-5 ice time will go down, but they will probably stay on the powerplay, eventually we'll see

Sedins - Hansen, turn into, Baertschi - Horvat on the 1st line until they end up on the 3rd line before they retire, 

Maybe in the far future we could see:

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen 

Granlund - McCann - Boesser 

Sedin - Sedin - Zhuke/Jasek

Gaunce - Cassels - ???/

Demko

or something along those lines...

2 minutes ago, 草 Kusa 草 said:

+1

As the twins get older their 5-on-5 ice time will go down, but they will probably stay on the powerplay, eventually we'll see

Sedins - Hansen, turn into, Baertschi - Horvat on the 1st line until they end up on the 3rd line before they retire, 

Maybe in the far future we could see:

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen 

Granlund - McCann - Boesser 

Sedin - Sedin - Zhuke/Jasek

Gaunce - Cassels - ???/

Demko

or something along those lines...

Tough to say, likely to be some F/A additions or trades rather than all prospects.  But it's hard not to like the look of the youth

On 3/6/2016 at 4:39 PM, WonderTwinPowers said:

Tough to say, likely to be some F/A additions or trades rather than all prospects.  But it's hard not to like the look of the youth

oh forsure, deffs not guarenteed by no means, but most of that top 6, I am pretty confident in being effective in the NHL atleast

Edited by 草 Kusa 草
  • Upvote 1

I've liked how he's looked thus far in this stint.  

Green earlier in the season on Gaunce:

"When he plays a quick game he's such a different player than when he's a little off in his skating.... [Spent time back at center out of necessity]   "I like him better on the wing but I think it's good for him to play center  once in a while.   It's gonna work on his skating and support through the middle of the ice....He's a lot closer now (more consistent) than he was last year to playing in the NHL."

He's skated well the past few games.   Some good, tight backchecking - seems mindful without the puck and you can see what Green was referring to as he brings that center's awareness as a winger.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Just you. Gotta remember how big the guy is as well, big guys always look a little slower just cause they take big strides

Liked the forecheck out of him and Horvat tonight, especially early.  Broke up a lot of plays high in the Kings' zone, preventing them from getting out.

Gauncer made some great forechecking plays as others have said. Won some puck battles that I didn't expect him to win and made a good play with the puck after. He was a part of 2 of our best scoring chances in my opinion. The pace of the game is a little quick for him right now in his own zone, but he's very good positionally in the neutral zone, and on the forecheck.

I expect he will learn the pace and the game will slow down for him in about 5 or 6 more games.

• Upvote 1

On ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎03 at 0:15 PM, DeNiro said:

Great to see one of my favourite prospects getting a real chance now. I've followed this guy for 4 years now, from Belleville, to Erie, to Utica. It's a good feeling to finally see one of our guys make the big show. He's done everything they asked of him and he deserves it.

Can't tell you how frustrating it is watching these guys for 4 or 5 years rooting them on, only to have them traded before being given a real chance to succeed. It seems like that's been the theme with this club over the last little while. Grabner, Schroeder, Jensen, Shinkaruk all traded before being given a real opportunity here. And we wonder why we never have any good young players coming up...

Your list has been mostly/all washes. :(