The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

10 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Just you. Gotta remember how big the guy is as well, big guys always look a little slower just cause they take big strides

Totally agree, Gaunce is anything but slow. There was a good illustration of his speed in the first period when he was chasing back on a possible LA 2 on 1

We have to remember that just because he was a top player in Utica, the NHL is faster, more physical and tiring mentally than the A and this is just his 3rd game. 

I hope once he gets accustomed to playing with Vancouver he will be more "physical" though.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

Ok Gaunce has had his chance. Time for someone new

Anybody still think he should have been up over Virtanen? :bigblush:

Gaunce is going to be a good player but he's still not quite there. A bit more time in the Utica oven is required to fully bake him ;)

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

Anybody still think he should have been up over Virtanen? :bigblush:

Gaunce is going to be a good player but he's still not quite there. A bit more time in the Utica oven is required to fully bake him ;)

Why do you say that?

We didn't judge any of the other rookies in the team on 5 games. He is going to have his confidence and his minutes built up gradually by the coach, just like the other rookies and surely he deserves no less.

Jake had a big question mark over him until he came back from the World Juniors, how many games was that?

Baertschi was ineffectual until he was at least 10 games into the season.

McCann was and is still bedding in.

Gaunce is not a flashy player, he is a thoughtful, intelligent player and that type of player imo usually take time to get chemistry with his line mates.

So why are we so quick to judge Gaunce and send him back?

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Why do you say that?

We didn't judge any of the other rookies in the team on 5 games. He is going to have his confidence and his minutes built up gradually by the coach, just like the other rookies and surely he deserves no less.

Jake had a big question mark over him until he came back from the World Juniors, how many games was that?

Gaunce is not a flashy player, he is a thoughtful, intelligent player and that type of player imo usually take time to get chemistry with his line mates.

It was more of a comment on the people that were proclaiming Guance 'head and shoulders above Virtanen'.

Because he doesn't NEED to be here to improve. 

I'm not remotely giving up on him.

41 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Why do you say that?

Give him more time. I like Gaunce as well. Think he would make a good middle six, and a great bottom six player. It usually takes time for players (esp. younger players) to get used to the speed, intensity of the NHL game. Gaunce will get there, don't think he needs to go back down to Utica. 

Looks like Gaunce will be eating popcorn in the press box tonight.  I'm happy for Comets players to get a look in Vancouver down  the stretch now that the Canucks are no longer chasing a playoff dream.  But don't call them up to be a healthy scratch when the Comets have 4 ECHL  PTOs on the roster and fighting for their playoff lives.

Just now, UticaHockey said:

Looks like Gaunce will be eating popcorn in the press box tonight.  I'm happy for Comets players to get a look in Vancouver down  the stretch now that the Canucks are no longer chasing a playoff dream.  But don't call them up to be a healthy scratch when the Comets have 4 ECHL  PTOs on the roster and fighting for their playoff lives.

its one game...... 

2 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Gotta remember we are the Vancouver Canucks first. Moves will be made that hurt your club and benefit ours in some way. If I recall correctly benning gave utica all the tools needed to win a Calder Cup. 

Dont get greedy. Be happy you have pro hockey in your city. 

Edited by Gooseberries

3 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Gotta remember we are the Vancouver Canucks first. Moves will be made that hurt your club and benefit ours in some way. If I recall correctly benning gave utica all the tools needed to win a Calder Cup. 

Dont get greedy. Be happy you have problems hockey in your city. 

Since Gaunce and Trysmkin a friends, perhaps having Gaunce in the press box with the new guy could be part of it too?

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

My guess (and it is nothing more than that) is that Gaunce would be with the Comets for their 3g/3d this weekend were it not for concern about whether Hank would make it back by tonight and how good the chances are of Hank being healthy enough to stay in the lineup in the near future.

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

He is on emergency recall and cannot play if the team has 12 healthy forwards.  

In fact, he needs to be sent back down unless they convert his emergency recall into a standard recall.  Unlikely because teams are only allowed 4 standard recalls after the TDL and the Canucks want to have a look at a few other guys before the end of the season.

With 16 games left and still needing to get a look at Grenier, Zalewski and Pedan, the obvious move for me is send Gaunce back and bring up Pedan. That way you have an on ice translator for Tryamkin during his transition period and Gaunce can still come back if they want to take another look at him.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Since Gaunce and Trysmkin a friends, perhaps having Gaunce in the press box with the new guy could be part of it too?

Precisely. I heard JB & TL badly want to see his language ability improve. Gauncer's Russian really needs work..lousy accent.

• Upvote 2

Just now, canuckledraggin said:

With 16 games left and still needing to get a look at Grenier, Zalewski and Pedan, the obvious move for me is send Gaunce back and bring up Pedan. That way you have an on ice translator for Tryamkin during his transition period and Gaunce can still come back if they want to take another look at him.

That's a sexy-time plan, right there.

51 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Precisely. I heard JB & TL badly want to see his language ability improve. Gauncer's Russian really needs work..lousy accent.

Gaunce speaks Russian?  Now watch JB trade Gaunce at the coming draft. :sick: