The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Interesting that you bring up Couturier. I'll give you three guesses on where he started playing with the

Flyers in his rookie season...

An article from his rookie year, during the playoffs against Pittsburgh when he was matched up with Malkin:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--philadelphia-flyers-rookie-sean-couturier-talks-like-a-teenager-and-plays-like-an-old-pro.html

Sound familiar to what anyone's been describing here?

You just don't get it man! That's not how you develop good young players like Couturier! :P

And Horvat just scored on the PP. A nice play with Canada enjoying a 4 on 3 advantage with one time passes from Petan and Fabbri ending up on Horvat's stick wide open in front of the net. One time shot from him and it's in.

also note while couturier is playing on the third line in recent years and possibly next year, he is destined for the second line possibly first.

Absolutely, and they talk about how he has unrealized offensive talent at that point that will still come as he continues to develop.

Edited by elvis15

Interesting that you bring up Couturier. I'll give you three guesses on where he started playing with the

Flyers in his rookie season...

An article from his rookie year, during the playoffs against Pittsburgh when he was matched up with Malkin:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--philadelphia-flyers-rookie-sean-couturier-talks-like-a-teenager-and-plays-like-an-old-pro.html

Sound familiar to what anyone's been describing here?

Gaaaaaaah I love you a lot more when you're talking about just hockey :)

People like Plum think that the 4th line is for plugs and goons filling roster spots, and that putting a top-10 pick there is completely out of the question. What he is too ignorant to see is that teams like the Hawks, Bruins and Kings are able to roll four lines that are able to contribute every night and do other things rather than just fight and fill cap-friendly roster spots. If Horvat makes the team, it's still going to be a hell of a mountain for him to climb. Plum wants Horvat to immediately be spoon fed 3rd line minutes because he finds it embarrassing that the team he cheers for would slot a top-10 pick into the gutter with Sestitio and Hordichuk. It's like he thinks it completely dishonours that prospect JUST BECAUSE of the position he was drafted. Horrible, just horrible :shock::shock::shock: Poor Horvat :(

If players want spots, they have to earn them. We're not the Oilers. Plum is either a spoiled kid who is used to getting whatever he wants, or has no idea how a professional organization actually works.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Upvote 1

Probably not the place for this, but is there a reason Canada doesn't have names on the jerseys? They all say Canada and I don't believe either the Czechs or the Russians did that. I may be wrong but just curious.

(Oh also, I missed Bo's goal. I had to go pick up my mom from the airport. If anyone can make a GIF like two days ago, that would be awesome… Just sayin)

Edited by TheLiveWire

As a side note, I think that Horvat has very underrated hands. Not Drouin-esque, but still pretty damn good.

Indeed, he just tried to showcase them with a BoDrag to start the 2nd. The defenceman picked off the puck though.

Probably not the place for this, but is there a reason Canada doesn't have names on the jerseys? They all say Canada and I don't believe either the Czechs or the Russians did that. I may be wrong but just curious.

(Oh also, I missed Bo's goal. I had to go pick up my mom from the airport. If anyone can make a GIF like two days ago, that would be awesome… Just sayin)

No gif, but it was Petan on the left half wall one timing a pass to Fabbri coming in on the far side, and as that pass went across, Horvat switched position from screening the front of the net out to facing the net at the hashmarks where he received the one touch pass from Fabbri. Horvat was wide open due to all the wide puck movement and one timed it past he goalie with a short snap shot.

EDIT: I should add about your other question, while I haven't looked up all the extended rosters of the other teams we know Canada has a large group of guys rotating each game. It'd be a fair bit of work to make up the nameplates for all of those so that'd probably be why.

Edited by elvis15

And Horvat nearly drives the puck to the net off a breakout pass up the boards, but the defenceman poked the puck away at the last moment. Things are super chippy at the moment though.

Edited by elvis15

And Horvat nearly drives the puck to the net off a breakout pass up the boards, but the defenceman poked the puck away at the last moment. Things are super chippy at the moment though.

sounds like hes playing well Elvis. Flying around out there?

Involved in a lot of things. PK and PP time, forechecking and defensive play. He's got the C again today as well. Canada just had another chance on a 5 on 4 with Horvat getting the pass in the slot, but he couldn't control it. Now there's a scrum in front as a player goes after McDavid and Horvat stepped in to grab the guy before the linesman tackled them both. So many players in the penalty box for both sides this period.

Edited by elvis15

The thing that I like about Horvat is that we can start him on the 3rd or 4th line and still give him minutes on the PP and PK. This is a great way to build confidence, give him ice time, and get him accustomed to the NHL game.

To be fair to Plum, he did first compare Horvat to Jarret Stoll (who has a career best of 22 goals and 68 points in one season, along with multiple 40+ point seasons). If Horvat tops out as a ~65 point two way centre we all should be rather pleased.

he's looked great on the PK and PP from what i've seen (midway through the second)

Yup, he's getting all the tough minutes, double shifting on faceoffs in his own end. Petan, McDavid and Fabbri (before his injury) have stood out as well.

To be fair to Plum, he did first compare Horvat to Jarret Stoll (who has a career best of 22 goals and 68 points in one season, along with multiple 40+ point seasons). If Horvat tops out as a ~65 point two way centre we all should be rather pleased.

Jarret Stoll is an incredibly underrated player IMO. He was a huge reason for Edmontons run in 06? Was it? I was flabbergasted when Edmonton got rid of him. I would be pretty happy if Horvat turned into that kind of player.