The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I ve been following Horvat for a long time. He has a good career ahead of him, but he s not ready to match up to Kopitar, Getzlaf, Thornton, Pavelski, Kesler, or Jeff Carter on a nightly basis.

He isn't going to line up against those players on a nightly basis. Not only that, he wont learn how to play against those kind of quality players in JR anyhow. The only way you become ready to go head to head with real NHL'ers, is to play against real NHL'ers. There are no real NHLers in JR. There are just JR players in JR...you see.

Edited by two drink minimum

He isn't going to line up against those players on a nightly basis. Not only that, he wont learn how to play against those kind of quality players in JR anyhow. The only way you become ready to go head to head with real NHL'ers, is to play against real NHL'ers. There are no real NHLers in JR. There are just JR players in JR...you see.

This.

Start him with the team, shink and Jensen can be called up. Time to stop stunting horvats growth, he's ready, jr won't help him.

His second game in two nights and he had a couple decent scoring chances himself and set up a few more for his linemates. He's just fine as a 3/4C and likely to only get better. If Richardson is out, he's not going anywhere for a while.

Decent scoring chances is alright but a toe-drag he did against SJ I believe was something I'd like to see more of. Make big offensive plays, if they fail so what you're trying to make a big play but if it works you make your self look alot better.

I don't want him to make 'risky' plays but you have to make consistent plays offensively like look at Matthias or Richardson they are solid 4th liners who can make good plays offensively consistently. I don't see that in Horvat, in junior he can improve offensively.

Yup. Agree with Plum and Salmonberries.

That being said, a lot rides on Richardson's status for opening night for Bo right now. We may send Jensen/Shinkaruk down to Utica and give Bo an extended look into regular season if Richardson isn't ready.

Edited by Dasein

Decent scoring chances is alright but a toe-drag he did against SJ I believe was something I'd like to see more of. Make big offensive plays, if they fail so what you're trying to make a big play but if it works you make your self look alot better.

I don't want him to make 'risky' plays but you have to make consistent plays offensively like look at Matthias or Richardson they are solid 4th liners who can make good plays offensively consistently. I don't see that in Horvat, in junior he can improve offensively.

He also snapped a real nice low hard shot through a screen he forced on a defenceman. It was a solid scoring chance. I think he's ready, he can hold his own and he'll only get better from here. Conditioning seems to be there too.

Kesler, the Sedins, Burr all started on the 3rd or 4th lines (Burr)...there is nothing wrong with giving him 4th line minutes right now for him to get used to the pace, with no pressure to perform offensively.

In reality, it comes down to what does he have to learn, and can he develop that best in the NHL or OHL. He really isn't 'ready' for the NHL and would be best served as our 1c in Utica if he could actually go, which is indeed the conundrum.

The OHL won't help his pace, but it might help him develop more offensive confidence.

The NHL will help develop his pace but it may actually hurt his offensive confidence as he'll play with plumbers and his offensive timing may slow...

The reason this thread has 100 pages is because it is that challenging to figure out where he is best served to develop all aspects of his game.

If they are going to keep him up, I hope they give him at least one winger who can actually score once in a while, maybe Higgins

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrrows Bonino Vey

Higgins Horvat Kassian (I think this might work nicely)

Mathias Richardson Hansen/Dorsett

• Upvote 3

Kesler, the Sedins, Burr all started on the 3rd or 4th lines (Burr)...there is nothing wrong with giving him 4th line minutes right now for him to get used to the pace, with no pressure to perform offensively.

In reality, it comes down to what does he have to learn, and can he develop that best in the NHL or OHL. He really isn't 'ready' for the NHL and would be best served as our 1c in Utica if he could actually go, which is indeed the conundrum.

The OHL won't help his pace, but it might help him develop more offensive confidence.

The NHL will help develop his pace but it may actually hurt his offensive confidence as he'll play with plumbers and his offensive timing may slow...

The reason this thread has 100 pages is because it is that challenging to figure out where he is best served to develop all aspects of his game.

If they are going to keep him up, I hope they give him at least one winger who can actually score once in a while, maybe Higgins

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrrows Bonino Vey

Higgins Horvat Kassian (I think this might work nicely)

Mathias Richardson Hansen/Dorsett

your best post.

Well earned +1

If trade Hansen and keep sestito as we are in a tough conference and Dorsett can do it all alone. Also having sestito in the lineup lets Dorsett focus on actual hockey

So keep two guys who bring nothing offensively just in case other teams want to play their goons against us?

That makes sense.

Wasn't lack of scoring our biggest problem the last couple seasons, or is it 2011 again and it's actually "toughness"?

• Upvote 1

We should be icing our best line up every night. Shouldn't let horvat take someones spot just because he will be sent to jr. Its not fair to the players who earn the spot. At this point in time both jensen and shinkaruk have been better and deserve the spot. It should always be best player earns the reward.

Watch his defensive game and you'll see why he has a good shot at making the team.

It's not like Richardson and Matthias have exactly earned a spot based on their performance in preseason.

RW is looking pretty good with possible RWers being Vey, Burr, Vrbata, Jensen, Dorsett (?), and Hansen. I'd like to see a 3rd line of Higgins Horvat and Vey/Kassian. Maybe a 2nd line of Burr Bonino Jensen (Long shot I know).

If say Jensen and Horvat make it someone like Hansen would have to be moved. So something tells me Jensen is in Utica (which sucks). And stays there unless we need an injury relief player.