The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Detroit doesn't rush their prospects into the lineup at 19. While Bo has looked okay; he should be playing in the OHL.

Why do so many people define the "Detroit-way" as "the right way"? Detroit are so overrated when it comes to player development. People are always referring to them when they are talking about young players. Not saying they are bad, but there are teams out there that are doing better right now.
Take a look at Saad and Shaw in Chicago, 2 examples. Saad was drafted in the 2nd round of 2011, he played the full season for Chicago just 1 year after being drafted, when they won the cup and were completely dominant. He's doing pretty good to say the least. Shaw was drafted in the 2011 draft as a 20 year old,in the 5th round, and he also made impact right away. There are a lot of other examples.
Horvat is a 9th overall pick. When you see him play, you can tell that he's very mature for his age. He doesn't make any mistakes defensively and he's doing the right things. So far, our top6 has been good. It's not realistic for him to crack our top6, because he's not good enough to fill that role right now. He could be our 2nd line center in the future though.
I personally find it very odd that Willie doesn't give him a fair chance on our 3rd line, even when we're battling injuries. Our 3rd line has been okay, not amazing. Sure Matthias scored a goal today, but he's -10 with 4 points in 17 games. Should he really be a lock on our 3rd line, when we have a young, highly touted prospect who could do better? I liked Matthias when he first came here, but i really don't think he deserves as much trust as he's gaining atm. Horvat might be here for just 9 games, WD should give him every chance to succeed, because he's been good and earned a fair chance or 2 IMO.
Horvat got 3rd line minutes against LA, he played well, a lot of people even thought he was our best player that game. Well, shame pretty much the rest of the team was crap that one night. What if he would have played on our 3rd line when our team actually had a good game in general? Then maybe, maybe he would have better offensive numbers. If he can't handle playing on the 3rd line, then sure, send him back to London. He shouldn't be here just for the experience when he's talented enough to play in the NHL.
Edited by Hedman

Wasted a game off his 9 possible ones. 6 mins of ice? Might aswell call-up Lain and play him for 6 mins.

Kind of true. If the Canucks wanted these 9 games to last as long as possible and be as effective as possible, they missed on that tonight.

I'm sure Desjardins would have loved to be in a position to play his 4th line more, but it was a tie game in the third and, quite frankly, there were other players performing better in this one.

I thought Gary Valk brought up a good point during the 2nd intermission.

He said something along the lines of if you are going to keep up a rookie in place of sending him back to junior he needs to be showing up on the score sheet.

I would love to see Horvat up the whole year as much as the next 'nuck fan but I think Gary is right on the money in regards to Horvat. Send him back to Junior and the WJC to work on his offensive game.

We can see he can play D, lets develope his offensive game.

Furthermore, who are you going to ship out to get Horvat in? Mathias has picked up his game, Vrbata and Kassian are both out at the moment, I dont see room for Bo despite his decent play.

5 years from now we may very well be happy we sent him down.

Your right, he needs to work on his offense. We can bring him up for the playoffs if we make it in.

Edit. Nevermind, London will probably make a good run.

Edited by messier's_elbow

No roster spots available.

Bo has to play right now.

Well put somebody injured on IR, we had room if we wanted to. Cap space shouldn't be a problem or roster spots because Dorsett, Vrbata, Kassian, Sbisa and Sestito have been out for 2 games now.

If Bo gets sent down, There really isn't any guarantee his offense will improve more than if he spends his time in the NHL. He may get more time in the line up. OHL is slower paced and the coach plays him in top defensive match up as a shut down center. He is not being pushed by London knights to be a their main offensive threat.

If Bo gets sent down, There really isn't any guarantee his offense will improve more than if he spends his time in the NHL. He may get more time in the line up. OHL is slower paced and the coach plays him in top defensive match up as a shut down center. He is not being pushed by London knights to be a their main offensive threat.

you dont know what his role would be with the knights with year. All we know right now is that he is getting 6 minutes of ice time with the canucks. I dont think thats good for his development. But thats not for me to decide.

My vote: send him back

I agree Bo is not quite ready yet. On a team that was concerned about cap space like Ottawa who don't/can't spend to the cap and rely on giving younger cheaper players opportunities like Curtis Lazar he would stick for the year.

I have no question Horvat would have been kept just like Lazar if he played for a team that needed his cheap salary and defensive presence more badly.

As of right now Matthias is playing better and with Richardson there is no need this year for Horvat. I would like to see him go back to junior and light it up.

Specifically I would love to see him have a big world junior tournament and put up some good offensive numbers as a 19 year old team leader.

I thought Benning and Desjardins made it pretty clear that they are not going to rush young players unless they play so well that they clearly prove they should be on the team and are too good for junior or going back to the minors.

Horvat has been good but he hasn't been just wowing people with his great playmaking or hands and always making the smart play.

In simple terms what Salmonberries said...

"Willie has to try to win at the NHL level. It's a business, and the business isn't player development."

Edited by Chip Kelly

I believe WD said that Horvat's 6mins was an aberration due to the lines Otawa kept throwing out, not a reflection on Horvat's play. Goodness you people are trigger happy.

I actually think he made (again) a couple of nice offensive plays in his limited time. If he keeps playing like that (and can continue to get closer to the more "normal" ~10mins), he'll get points. It's only a matter of time IMO.

I don't think he's looked out of place at all personally.

Edited by J.R.

I believe WD said that Horvat's 6mins was an aberration due to the lines Otawa kept throwing out, not a reflection on Horvat's play. Goodness

you people

are trigger happy.

I actually think he made (again) a couple of nice offensive plays in his limited time. If he keeps playing like that (and can continue to get closer to the more "normal" ~10mins), he'll get points. It's only a matter of time IMO.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN "YOU PEOPLE"?

kassianbeastmode is gunna flip his lid...

• Upvote 1

I believe WD said that Horvat's 6mins was an aberration due to the lines Otawa kept throwing out, not a reflection on Horvat's play. Goodness you people are trigger happy.

I think everyone can agree he doesn't look out of place. The thing with horvat is, we don't exactly need him unless he can put up some offence. We don't exactly have the luxury of time with him either so that's why people want him sent down.

Edited by junglesniper

I think everyone can agree he doesn't look out of place. The thing with horvat is, we don't exactly need him unless he can put up some offence. We don't exactly have the luxury of time with him either so that's why people want him sent down.

And like I said, if he keeps playing the way he has and/or improving, the offense will come. He's making too many smart defensive plays to transition in the the offensive zone, good passes and going to the net to not contribute offensively.

What luxury of time? He's our best option at 4C. I don't see anything that changes that short of a trade. And frankly all this offense everyone's clamoring for is silly. A 4th line is expected to play well defensively, bring some energy and and be an even (or + if you're lucky) most nights chipping in offense occasionally. Like every~5 games or so. And that may not even lead to points directly to him like the goal he was in front of the net for the other night. He's doing just fine.

Edited by J.R.

will horvat's replacement be racking up the points? if not then why would that matter? how about if his replacement will keep up his FO percentage? because if he doesn't then it actually hurts the canucks to send him down.

Edited by avelanch
  • Upvote 1