The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

You say that as if Drouin is going to be riding the pine on the 4th line all year.

Drouin's average TOI is 14:40 with an average of 1:27 on the PP. Bo's average TOI through two games is 7:37 with 0:26 on the PK. That's almost double, and Drouin has only one game where he played under 10 minutes by 2 seconds.

Drouin's played the last few games on the 4th line, but that doesn't mean he's a 4th liner. This is rather normal for any young NHLer - there are growing pains and they have to earn their ice time. For example, there are 10 games in Steven Stamkos's rookie season where his TOI was in single digits (1/8 of the season), 23 games where he played below 12 minutes (1/4 of the season), and 39 games where he played under 14 minutes - that's almost half his rookie season.

The point is, Drouin is a top 9 rookie foward who is learning to earn his ice time in the NHL. He'll will be back up in a top 9 role in no time, but that's not the case for Bo.

The difference is, Bo is starting on the 4th line, and he'll remain on the 4th line. His offense is limited and could improve by playing in junior. I think it's far more beneficial for Bo and the Canucks in the long run if Bo returns to junior, play at the WJC and works on his offensive game rather than stay here and stunt his offensive potential playing 10 minutes per game or sitting in the press box.

Drouin still plays on the 4th line, just like Horvat.

When Kesler came in as a 4th liner did it stunt his offensive potential?

Drouin still plays on the 4th line, just like Horvat.

When Kesler came in as a 4th liner did it stunt his offensive potential?

Maybe we'll never know.

I spelled out the difference between Drouin and Horvat so I won't waste my breathe on that again.

• Upvote 1

Maybe we'll never know.

I spelled out the difference between Drouin and Horvat so I won't waste my breathe on that again.

Kesler was projected on draft day as the perfect 3rd line C. I think it's safe to say that he developed into a much better player than anticipated.

I think that Bo's offence will come. Whether he spends the rest of the year in junior or the NHL, Bo will eventually get comfortable and start putting up points. It could take a full year to two in the NHL, but I think the offence will come for sure

• Upvote 1

Horvat looked like our best player tonight imo. I think he's gonna stick.

That doesn't say much when everyone on the team sucked. If he were to be the best player on the team on a game where we win convincingly, that'd be another story.

Having said that, Horvat doesn't look out of place. I think he already matches up well against many NHL centers and I can see that by game 50, 60, he will be able to match up very well against LA's centers.

Defensively he has gone above and beyond my expectations. If you told me he would be going up against the Kopitar line in his 3rd game I wouldn't believe it.

He goes hard to the net every game and gets decent scoring chances so its only a matter of time before he gets his first point. I'd like to see Bo stay up for the rest of the season and hopefully still get the chance to play for Canada in the WJC.

I thought he had a real decent game last night. As long as he gets 9 - 10 TOI then keep him. He has solid wingers to learn the game from.

I'd really like the team to get some more skill into the second line so Higgins and burrows can be on Horvats wings. I think that would be a great 3rd line.

Kassian - Bonino - Vey/Jensen?

Not a fan of this combo, maybe a trade for a good 2nd line winger.

Higgins - Horvat - Burrows

I'd just love to see this line, probably not this year but if Vey, Kassian or Jensen progress enough this year I could see it happening.

Horvat needs to show something offensively. I get the fact he is playing a safe game but its hard to watch. He seems to tentative with the puck, he does not try to get shots on goal. He is way too concentrated on showing willie he can play defensive, but what about offence? I see horvat sent down real soon, and hopefully next year he comes with a bit more confidence.

Horvat needs to show something offensively. I get the fact he is playing a safe game but its hard to watch. He seems to tentative with the puck, he does not try to get shots on goal. He is way too concentrated on showing willie he can play defensive, but what about offence? I see horvat sent down real soon, and hopefully next year he comes with a bit more confidence.

Why would you pressure him to focus more on offence? It's rare to get a rookie whose as defensively responsible as Bo, and he's just starting to adjust to the NHL. Also, I'd say he's gotten at least one decent scoring chance in every game so far, and as he gets more comfortable the offence will come. There's no need to pressure him.

Wasn't able to see the game tonight but noticed his ice time was almost half of what he played last night in LA. How did he look out there tonight?

On a tangent, how did his rookie linemates play too, Jensen and DeFazio?

The rookies didn't see ice time (or at most 1-2 shifts) in the 3rd period and none for sure in the OT.

I think Horvat got a lot of ice time last night because it was a blowout and WD probably wanted to rest the veterans to give the team a chance to win tonight - which they did.

Understandable that WD went with the veterans in a 1-1 tie in the 3rd against a top team in the league.

The rookies didn't see ice time (or at most 1-2 shifts) in the 3rd period and none for sure in the OT.

I think Horvat got a lot of ice time last night because it was a blowout and WD probably wanted to rest the veterans to give the team a chance to win tonight - which they did.

Understandable that WD went with the veterans in a 1-1 tie in the 3rd against a top team in the league.

That's pretty much it. He also got about 45 seconds of shorthanded time against LA as well. You always want the young guys to play more (especially when they aren't doing poorly) but this game was a little too close for that.

Wasn't able to see the game tonight but noticed his ice time was almost half of what he played last night in LA. How did he look out there tonight?

On a tangent, how did his rookie linemates play too, Jensen and DeFazio?

I"m not saying he had a bad game, didn't notice him that much. But it was understandable for this type of circumstance.

(Alot of subs were playing, playing against the top team) it wasn't really a night meant for him. The game far too intense and a lot of bragging were on the line.

Bo has pretty much been what I expected/hoped he would be so far.

Good in the dot, he's been good down low & around the net, he has great poise & has made some very strong plays defensively.

We have seen flashes of his not only his faceoff ability & defensive ability but I think he has also had a moment here & there offensively aswell.

The problem right now for Horvat really isn't anything he's doing IMO, its playing time, obviously with the Cali road trip (and tonight's close game in particular) its completely understandable that WD would go with the Vets over giving guys like Bo & Jensen mroe ice time.

One thing I didn't like heading into this game though was that he took Bo off the third line (after that line had been pretty good against LA, the only good thing in the game really) in favor of Hansen.

Horvat has shown he can do things to contribute at this level, what needs to happen now IMO is that he needs a bit more opportunity, hopefully he will get that starting with our next game against Ottawa.

I'd even like him to get an opportunity to play on the 3rd line for a full game and see what he could do with 10+ minutes of icetime, then if he's able to do the things he's done so far, on a consistent shift to shift basis in a third line role playing say 12 minutes or so (maybe a tad more) then you know he's ready to be here the entire season.

So far I have definitely liked what I have seen, but I think we need to see what he can do with more opportunity before deciding on whether or not to keep him.

Edited by Smashian Kassian