The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like Sutter, but a team like Colorado might want him - replace ROR.  Maybe Duchene for Sutter would be fair?  

One of those guys has hit 20 goals twice in 5 full campaigns. The other, being two years younger, has hit 20 goals 5 times in 5 full campaigns. One of those times it was 30 goals.

Sutter's highest point total is 40, Duchene has beaten that 6 different years with a high of 70.

I think the Hall-Larsson standard may be being stretched.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, nzan said:

One of those guys has hit 20 goals twice in 5 full campaigns. The other, being two years younger, has hit 20 goals 5 times in 5 full campaigns. One of those times it was 30 goals.

Sutter's highest point total is 40, Duchene has beaten that 6 different years with a high of 70.

I think the Hall-Larsson standard may be being stretched.

Sutter does a lot more than score though.  He's by far the more complete player.  I see this as one of those hockey trades, where we get an offensive minded guy, and they get a shut down guy.  They need to replace ROR, and have struggled since he left.  We need a player to replace Henrik.  Alf gives this trade three thumbs up:)

Now phone JB and tell him to get this done - NOW!  :lol:

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sutter does a lot more than score though.  He's by far the more complete player.  I see this as one of those hockey trades, where we get an offensive minded guy, and they get a shut down guy.  They need to replace ROR, and have struggled since he left.  We need a player to replace Henrik.  Alf gives this trade three thumbs up:)

Now phone JB and tell him to get this done - NOW!  :lol:

Complete or not, two-way-middle-six players are a dime-a-dozen in this league and are the reason the Canucks always seem to have 12 middle six guys on the roster.

I'm not saying Sutter is a dime-a-dozen type of player, but maybe JB doesn't get laughed at if you add Hutton to your proposal.

1 minute ago, nzan said:

Complete or not, two-way-middle-six players are a dime-a-dozen in this league and are the reason the Canucks always seem to have 12 middle six guys on the roster.

I'm not saying Sutter is a dime-a-dozen type of player, but maybe JB doesn't get laughed at if you add Hutton to your proposal.

I don't think the value is so far off we would need to add Hutton.  The Avs would probably prefer Tanev to Sutter, and then they would have to add.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished watching this! Soooo funny. Poor Suttsy ahaha but that song is bad, he should feel bad. Not a hockey tune at all. I hope they keep the mean tweets up. I'd like to see Marky do one…trying to think of who else would just laugh and not get mad. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brandon Sutter passed the immortal Harry York while on his way to 184th in all time Canuck scoring.  Looks like the even more immortal Vladimir Krutov is next.

183.  Vladimir Krutov LW 61 11 23 34
184.  Brandon Sutter C 68 17 16 33
185.  Ray Cullen C 70 12 21 33
186.  Harry York C 103 11 22 33
186.  Dave Dunn D 69 11 22 33
188.  Bryan McCabe D 95 8 25 33
189.  Leon Rochefort RW 87 18 14 32

• 1 month later...

Sutter's assist on Edler's goal moved him into 169th in all-time Canuck scoring.

168.  Tracy Pratt D 176 9 30 39
169.  Brandon Sutter C 88 20 18 38
170.  Yannick Weber D 159 17 21 38
171.  Mark Kirton C 119 23 14 37

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Wowwww, sweet hands Sutter.

Yeah, those hands impressed me. Sutter's having one of the better seasons of his career. He definitely shows flashes of being a solid top 6 guy.

Sutter's assist caused him to hop a few spots in the all-time scoring list, now into 159th.

158.  John Wright C 91 13 30 43
159.  Brandon Sutter C 94 22 20 42
160.  Trevor Letowski RW 120 18 24 42
161.  Nolan Baumgartner D 99 7 35 42
162.  David Bruce RW 143 23 18 41

• 2 weeks later...

Sutter ballin' it up into 157th in all-time Canuck scoring with his secondary assist tonight.

156.  Ben Hutton D 144 6 38 44
157.  Dave Balon LW 116 22 21 43
157.  Brandon Sutter C 98 22 21 43
159.  John Wright C 91 13 30 43

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Sutter ballin' it up into 157th in all-time Canuck scoring with his secondary assist tonight.

156.  Ben Hutton D 144 6 38 44
157.  Dave Balon LW 116 22 21 43
157.  Brandon Sutter C 98 22 21 43
159.  John Wright C 91 13 30 43

This and being able to converse with Trev, Jimbo and Willie D in their native language (Prairie) will keep Sutter around here for as long as those ol' boys are in charge.

Tell you what.

9 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

This and being able to converse with Trev, Jimbo and Willie D in their native language (Prairie) will keep Sutter around here for as long as those ol' boys are in charge.

Tell you what.

I dunno, its ok if he was playing Bad Cop to Miller's Good Cop. But I wonder what he would fetch in a trade?

On 1/22/2017 at 8:54 PM, Wilbur said:

Brandon Sutter passed the immortal Harry York while on his way to 184th in all time Canuck scoring.  Looks like the even more immortal Vladimir Krutov is next.

Leon Rochefort was no slouch.

On 12/21/2016 at 4:18 PM, nzan said:

Don't usually agree with Alf. And I'm not fully here either. Hutton is 2 much. Col has enough young offensive guys and if they can't replace Duchene via another trade most likely they will if they get the first pick this year and do it that way.

Sutter brings a lot to the table that some nuck fans don't seem to see. He is a great 2-way centre who can score 20 while shutting down the top lines and being over 50@ in the draw. Plus he is on a pretty good contract.

I actually think Sutter isn;t going anywhere. he is one of the better 3rd line C"s in the league and we have nobody to fill that role unless they give Gaunce another shot. 

For 6 months the Tanev to col won;t go away If JB does trade Tanev or Edler or both. I hope one of those deals is for Duchene If it came down to the nuge or Duchene for Tanev . I take Matt. Oil would have to add their 1st maybe we throw in a 4th. 

I really think Edler and Tanev are gone at the draft. no point in him playing bottom 5 minutes especially if we sign guddy and oj and Subban are given a look it makes them both expendable and would help us speed things up.For me, I see a top 4 next year of troy tram Guddy and Hutton Than hopeful oj Subban Sbisa if he isnmt a knight can fill 5-6-7. And maybe bring in someone for depth.

On 1/22/2017 at 8:54 PM, Wilbur said:

Make jokes 17 goals in 68 games is pretty good for a third line guy who gets whipped cuz most nuck fans don;t know anything about hockey except gm mode on nhl 17 not saying you fwiw

5 hours ago, bp79 said:

Make jokes 17 goals in 68 games is pretty good for a third line guy who gets whipped cuz most nuck fans don;t know anything about hockey except gm mode on nhl 17 not saying you fwiw

I think Sutter gets a lot of flack because of his price tag (which isn't low but it's not ridiculously high either) and because Benning called him a foundational player.  When people hear foundational player they like to think McDavid, Crosby, Toews, etc.  Sutter is a straight lines player with a really good shot, great face-off and pk ability, that will play a lot of hard minutes.  Foundational or not, these types of guys aren't a dime and dozen and a key piece of a team.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I think Sutter gets a lot of flack because of his price tag (which isn't low but it's not ridiculously high either) and because Benning called him a foundational player.  When people hear foundational player they like to think McDavid, Crosby, Toews, etc.  Sutter is a straight lines player with a really good shot, great face-off and pk ability, that will play a lot of hard minutes.  Foundational or not, these types of guys aren't a dime and dozen and a key piece of a team.

Agree completely.  Sutter, for the role he should be played, is WAY overpaid.  Especially if we consider we gave up Bonino, and his much cheaper contract, to get Sutter.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Agree completely.  Sutter, for the role he should be played, is WAY overpaid.  Especially if we consider we gave up Bonino, and his much cheaper contract, to get Sutter.  

You should read Wilbur's whole response instead of just taking what he said out of context. btw He is way better than Bonino on both sides of the puck. Sutter can score !7 goals on a bad wrist on the mess of the Canucks. he is a tad overpaid but nothing like some of the real bad contracts out there.

I have noticed you agree with everybody. Even if it contradicts what you have posted or something someone else said.

You are a nice guy, who never has a bad thing to say to about anyone. Maybe cats make you forget things you have say. Have A great day Alf

• Upvote 1