The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Just now, Tyndall2 said:

Hutton needs to develop a mean streak on the ice.  He is playing like Edler has played the last few years.............big body but no punishment to the opponents who are standing in front of the net.  Defensemen need a reputation that says,  "Come near my net and you will regret it!"  

He's 183 pounds...

30 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He's actually 207 lbs.

Db must not be updated. Still you have to know that's not a part of his game.

It's like asking dorsett to lead our team in scoring and Baertschi to fight the Matt Martin's of the league. Clearly something has changed for the worst with Hutton.  It could certainly be the 24 pounds he added on in that short time. 

Edited by Gooseberries
  • Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Db must not be updated. Still you have to know that's not a part of his game.

It's like asking dorsett to lead our team in scoring and Baertschi to fight the Matt Martin's of the league. Clearly something has changed for the worst with Hutton.  It could certainly be the 24 pounds he added on in that short time. 

I know. I was just pointing out that fact. Weight could be a variable in his struggles but I wouldn't consider it a major one.

I feel Hutton might not be ready to handle top 4 duties quite yet. We've relied on him a lot, perhaps a bit too much. Injuries have kind of forced are hand in that regard though.

I see Hutton as more of a, potential, Jake Gardiner type/level of player, which isn't bad.

Only problem I could see moving forward is when Juolevi is ready and Brisebois(If he pans out) down the road. We have a lot of depth at LD. Not everyone will pan out but it's a nice problem to have down the road.

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I know. I was just pointing out that fact. Weight could be a variable in his struggles but I wouldn't consider it a major one.

I feel Hutton might not be ready to handle top 4 duties quite yet. We've relied on him a lot, perhaps a bit too much. Injuries have kind of forced are hand in that regard though.

I see Hutton as more of a, potential, Jake Gardiner type/level of player, which isn't bad.

Only problem I could see moving forward is when Juolevi is ready and Brisebois(If he pans out) down the road. We have a lot of depth at LD. Not everyone will pan out but it's a nice problem to have down the road.

Hutton for Drouin or Domi?

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 4:27 PM, Alflives said:

I keep posting over and over: it's the system.  It's VERY passive, so a lot of our guys look slow, because they are standing still.  

That would explain why some of the games where "we didn't play our system" were so much faster -- e.g., the last game against the Leafs.

1 hour ago, gameburn2 said:

That would explain why some of the games where "we didn't play our system" were so much faster -- e.g., the last game against the Leafs.

The guys on 1040 were just talking about how our team 3/4 of the games is out played early and falls behind by one or two.  They went on to say, our guys start to push the pace, and leave Willie's structure and we start looking a lot faster.  I think the guys on the radio, in this one circumstance, are correct.  Willie's system is too passive.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Clearly, Hutton is going through a bit of a "Sophmore Slump", which I think it was to be expected. I truly see him as a foundational piece for our core in a role much like Bieksa's in his time here.

Remember, Patience is a Virtue

Indeed. In the pre-season, I expected big things from him, but I have quickly tempered my expectations and am looking more long-term with Hutty. He's still young so I'll be patient with him and hopefully he'll slowly develop into a stud.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

The guys on 1040 were just talking about how our team 3/4 of the games is out played early and falls behind by one or two.  They went on to say, our guys start to push the pace, and leave Willie's structure and we start looking a lot faster.  I think the guys on the radio, in this one circumstance, are correct.  Willie's system is too passive.

I wonder how we'd look today if they'd hired Trotz instead of WD.  Trotz you would pay a bit more but you'd get so much more.  The idea you have mentioned before about the "Babcock model" is right on: get the best coach you can find, then tell him he won't be fired for 5 or 10 years.  Make him a reliable fixture, a genuine part of the management system.  Instead of a poor-man's motivational speaker you can dump when things go bad for a while.  I don't see Babcock's Leafs looking "passive" and certainly never slow.

Edited by gameburn2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gameburn2 said:

I wonder how we'd look today if they'd hired Trotz instead of WD.  Trotz you would pay a bit more but you'd get so much more.  The idea you have mentioned before about the "Babcock model" is right on: get the best coach you can find, then tell him he won't be fired for 5 or 10 years.  Make him a reliable fixture, a genuine part of the management system.  Instead of a poor-man's motivational speaker you can dump when things go bad for a while.  I don't see Babcock's Leafs looking "passive" and certainly never slow.

What are the odds a guy like Trotz, or any experienced coach coveted by several teams, would work for our owner?  

20 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

IMO Hutton's weight gain is a positive even if it is likely impacting his game this year. It is an adjustment as he experiments. I think you are bang on about how quickly he has been pushed up the depth chart. He was playing top pairing, at times, last year with all the injuries suffered. At his age it is all about TOI and he is getting that. Canucks are rebuilding and can comfortably invest the time in Hutton. It is more than foolish when fans get down on a 2nd year pro d-man.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With a strong effort tonight Hutton grabbed an assist and jumped into 156th in all-time Canuck scoring.

157.  John Wright C 91 13 30 43
156.  Ben Hutton D 129 5 38 43
157.  Trevor Letowski RW 120 18 24 42
158.  Nolan Baumgartner D 99 7 35 42
  • Upvote 3

As much as I've been feeling like Hutton has had an off year, he's actually exactly matching last year's point production with a higher +/- rating and more goals! Way to go Hutty! Offensively, he's really turned his season around. 

27 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

As much as I've been feeling like Hutton has had an off year, he's actually exactly matching last year's point production with a higher +/- rating and more goals! Way to go Hutty! Offensively, he's really turned his season around. 

The pairing with Gudbranson was a train wreck for whatever reason, these last couple games though have you seeing what Hutton can be night in night out.