The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

36 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

All I want to see from our defense is some aggression.  Stop trying to stick check players, especially in front of your own net.  Knock them on their butts and smack them against the boards.  Guys like Hutton, with his size should be intimidating on the ice.  Right now he is a teddy bear.

I guess you have never watched Lidstrom or Keith play, not the most physical d-men but incredible with sticks and positioning. Keith is a d-bag as well that never physically punishes guys except with cheap shots. Tryamkin makes more great plays with his stick as well, the game has slowly getting away from the neanderthal slow big d-men.

“That’s a move I use in practice but have never used in a game,” he told Ben Kuzma of The Province. “I was a little nervous going into it and there was a lot going through my mind because I knew we needed this win. My last one (penalty shot) was my freshman year in college.

“It’s definitely a relief. I haven’t been playing my best to start the season and hopefully a goal will help me to start rolling.”

Wow, wait .... now its Hutton on the block to buffalo for E.Kane?  O and plus a pic? Gotta be a Joke. Last year it was all about us having the worst defense / prospects. Now we start looking good on the back end and we have to jump the gun and trade off our more promising young dmen to plug up a scoring issue thats 17 games into the season.If it has to be done Edler,Larson,Sbisa  should be where the conversation starts with Buffalo.If they no like... walk away Jim.

2 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Wow, wait .... now its Hutton on the block to buffalo for E.Kane?  O and plus a pic? Gotta be a Joke. Last year it was all about us having the worst defense / prospects. Now we start looking good on the back end and we have to jump the gun and trade off our more promising young dmen to plug up a scoring issue thats 17 games into the season.If it has to be done Edler,Larson,Sbisa  should be where the conversation starts with Buffalo.If they no like... walk away Jim.

On Sports net their guy was saying Kane would already be a Canuck (trade worked but Canucks reminded) if not for his confined off ice issues, and now saying more stupid stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hutton better not go higher in his weight gain he needs his quickness. He wants to add offense but I think he's been getting caught cheating a bit. I like that he wants to add offense but I think he should pick his spots (like on the pp).

Edited by Hairy Kneel

10 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Hutton better not go higher in his weight gain he needs his quickness. He wants to add offense but I think he's been getting caught cheating a bit. I like that he wants to add offense but I think he should pick his spots (like on the pp).

I almost wonder if his weight gain has contributed to his lack of offense. I'm a big fan of having big defensemen, but I wonder if Hutton really needs to be 207 lbs for the role he wants to play. He might be better served to knock off a few pounds and regain some of his speed again.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, ajhockey said:

I almost wonder if his weight gain has contributed to his lack of offense. I'm a big fan of having big defensemen, but I wonder if Hutton really needs to be 207 lbs for the role he wants to play. He might be better served to knock off a few pounds and regain some of his speed again.

I haven't seen his increased weight affecting his skating at all. What I do see is that he is engaging in board battles more than last year when he tended to fish for the puck more.

At his current weight is better suited to deal with bigger forwards. Last night Tryamkin and Sbisa were tough on forwards trying to set up in front of the net. That wasn't happening last year. Hutton's heavier weight also allows him to shield the puck better from players trying to separate him from it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DJSkingz said:

Will Hutton from last year please report for duty?

Every game I have watched so far Hutton has looked like a shell of what I saw last year and in pre-season. Where did the speed go? The confidence? The swagger?

I keep posting over and over: it's the system.  It's VERY passive, so a lot of our guys look slow, because they are standing still.  

• Upvote 3

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 5:21 PM, DJSkingz said:

Will Hutton from last year please report for duty?

Every game I have watched so far Hutton has looked like a shell of what I saw last year and in pre-season. Where did the speed go? The confidence? The swagger?

Hutton is a 2nd year pro. He knows his ticket to the NHL is about the offense that he can create. He upped his weight over the summer by at least 15 pounds. As a result his ability to fight for pucks has improved but his game has to adjust for what he tries to do. Hutton is still a solid puck handler. IMHO his game by spring will show solid gains.

• Upvote 2

On 12/12/2016 at 0:59 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

Can we assign Hutton to the Comets to work on his defensive game? Is he waiver eligible? 

Like a conditioning stint.

He'd have to clear waivers, but it's pretty clear that he needs to sit. He's just not very good right now. And everyone was blaming Gudbranson.......

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He'd have to clear waivers, but it's pretty clear that he needs to sit. He's just not very good right now. And everyone was blaming Gudbranson.......

I think hes exempt. 

3 years after signing or 160 professional games, whatever comes first. As a 22 year old. 

Thats how I understand it anyways

Link

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2016 at 0:33 AM, Boudrias said:

Hutton is a 2nd year pro. He knows his ticket to the NHL is about the offense that he can create. He upped his weight over the summer by at least 15 pounds. As a result his ability to fight for pucks has improved but his game has to adjust for what he tries to do. Hutton is still a solid puck handler. IMHO his game by spring will show solid gains.

On a team that has very few bright spots, he has been overhyped - not his fault.   He may turn into a consistent top 4 guy but right now he is far from it.  For the third goal guys were standing around and it just happened that his man scored.    Hutton should be competing against guysguys like Pedan and Subban instead of getting a free pass.  I would think Jake and Sven would agree.

Edited by samurai

13 hours ago, samurai said:

On a team that has very few bright spots, he has been overhyped - not his fault.   He may turn into a consistent top 4 guy but right now he is far from it.  For the third goal guys were standing around and it just happened that his man scored.    Hutton should be competing against guysguys like Pedan and Subban instead of getting a free pass.  I would think Jake and Sven would agree.

No argument that Hutton has been pushed to fast but the Canucks had no choice. They could/should have kept him in the AHL for half a season or more but that has not been the Canuck way. Is Stecher any different? Right now they have Stecher playing as a top pairing at 22 TOI. Are they gambling with his development the same way they did with Hutton? It does come down to individual personalities and how they approach their games. Both these players impress me with the vision they have of the ice. Both need TOI and it should be at the NHL level.

Hutton needs to develop a mean streak on the ice.  He is playing like Edler has played the last few years.............big body but no punishment to the opponents who are standing in front of the net.  Defensemen need a reputation that says,  "Come near my net and you will regret it!"