The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I was starting to get annoyed with Ben but he seemed to start to turn things around a couple of games ago, so hopefully he can settle down and be more consistent. Its pretty amazing though that we have a winning record so far this year with just 2 goals (both Tanev's) out of our entire D group. If you want the biggest difference between WD and Green I think its how well he has the D group is moving the puck, and even with the lack of scoring it has a huge effect on the team. 

Green has the defense playing a much more physical game too, utilizing all the strengths of the defensive corps. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

3 hours ago, Dannydog said:

Absolutely Jimmy, being as mobile as they are physically and with the great first passes out provides our offense with a much better counter attack. i believe the goals are coming from our backend soon, first with primary assists then from the blueline. the boys just need to start dialing it in.

I think MDZ and Pouliot will start getting some assists soon on the PP, just feed it to Boeser :lol:

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Green has the defense playing a much more physical game too, utilizing all the strengths of how defensive corps. 

yup. It was telling that the Pen's weren't able to push us around last night. We may end up missing the playoffs but it won't be for lack of trying or push back this year. Its so freaking competitive in the west right now any one of a few good teams could easily miss the wildcard by a game or two. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I was starting to get annoyed with Ben but he seemed to start to turn things around a couple of games ago, so hopefully he can settle down and be more consistent. Its pretty amazing though that we have a winning record so far this year with just 2 goals (both Tanev's) out of our entire D group. If you want the biggest difference between WD and Green I think its how well he has the D group is moving the puck, and even with the lack of scoring it has a huge effect on the team. 

I have been cautioning against negative vibes on Hutton so far this year. Green has given the whole d-side the call to attack if possible. It looks pretty wild at times. I stand by my claim that Hutton will come around. IMO the Canucks don't have a lot of options since they lost the size of Tryamkin and Sbisa. Hutton has size now and still has some speed. My biggest frustration to date is his inability to hit the net consistantly with his shot. 

A lot of the 'pressure' under the Green offense is simply taking the shot. IMHO the Twins encouraged a culture of over handling the puck which other players assumed. As they play their 'swan song' you can see the younger players are shooting more, especially Boeser, Virtanen, Vanek and Granny. Green likes the shots. 

Despite having 2 assists tonight I thought Hutton struggled tonight.

I have noticed that Hutton has a tendency of being caught flat-footed. He also struggled to move the puck out of the zone, giving it away and has put Tanev in a tough spot at times.

Thankfully Tanev is playing really good hockey right now and is making up for Hutton's misplays.

I wouldn't mind sitting him for a game or two when Edler gets back. Get him some more one on one time with Nolan and it might also light a fire within him.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I have noticed that Hutton has a tendency of being caught flat-footed. He also struggled to move the puck out of the zone, giving it away and has put Tanev in a tough spot at times.

Thankfully Tanev is playing really good hockey right now and is making up for Hutton's misplays.

I wouldn't mind sitting him for a game or two when Edler gets back. Get him some more one on one time with Nolan and it might also light a fire within him.

I agree, I see they paired him with Tanev now in order to cover up all the holes in Hutton's game right now.  What happen to this guy? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Hutton played the most TOI on the d-core last night. Not the first time this year. 2nd highest +/-. Sure he gets caught but he has just started his 3rd NHL season. Your concerns can easily also include MDZ. Hutton's development will only come from lots of TOI and the experience from that. Either Green likes what he sees in Hutton or from the dark side they are prepping him for a trade. I do not see that as any move would more likely come at the TDL. I expect Hutton's developing game will keep him a Canuck. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

He's got a CORSI that's 5th among Canucks d-men, but above 50% and a +6 rating on the year. Are those stats telling us something we can't see or do they belie his play?

He still is a wildly inconsistent player. The eye test is far more accurate than the spreadsheet approach.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Hutton played the most TOI on the d-core last night. Not the first time this year. 2nd highest +/-. Sure he gets caught but he has just started his 3rd NHL season. Your concerns can easily also include MDZ. Hutton's development will only come from lots of TOI and the experience from that. Either Green likes what he sees in Hutton or from the dark side they are prepping him for a trade. I do not see that as any move would more likely come at the TDL. I expect Hutton's developing game will keep him a Canuck. 

THIS.   He has played waaaay better this year than his first two year - simply not showing up on scoresheet but for a third year blue-liner, he has progressed nicely over the summer and has demonstrated a commitment to his own zone that you like to see in a young Dman.

• Upvote 1

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎08 at 9:41 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

THIS.   He has played waaaay better this year than his first two year - simply not showing up on scoresheet but for a third year blue-liner, he has progressed nicely over the summer and has demonstrated a commitment to his own zone that you like to see in a young Dman.

Green agrees with you. Look at Hutton's TOI. By the end of the year I do not expect anymore talk of sitting or moving Hutton. He is a top4 d-man in the making.

• Upvote 1

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think Hutton's mistakes are being overblown. He's essentially getting the Bieksa/Edler/Sbisa treatment. His mistakes are big and egregious, but his good plays are small and unnoticeable, making it seem like all he does is make mistakes. I believe he'll grow on fans in time.

• Upvote 4