The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

On 2017-06-26 at 0:15 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Still waiting for your list of the 60 Dmen better at playing D.........

Because you have nothing better to do, most likely. You enjoy exercises based on, to paraphrase you - "how you see the facts" - well, here's one: if you REALLY believe your hero "would easily slide into a top pairing on more than 1/2 the teams in the league" - you actually said that, with a straight face apparently - let's take a look at the players around the league who could easily be considered the top RHD for their respective teams. Then, let's assemble a top L-R defensive pairing for each team listed. Still with me? Good. Now, if, as you said, Chris Tanev would "easily slide" to the top of the depth chart with a majority of teams, I'd like for you to please name exactly which of "1/2 the teams in the league" from this list where he'd replace their current #1 RHD as half of their top L-R defensive pairing. Hell, for some teams, I've even listed a probable #2 RHD for you to consider. But, if he's really as good as you think he is, then that should prove no obstacle for you. You'll notice that a few teams have been omitted. That's down to them just not really having much of anything going from the right side. Hey, maybe THAT'S where he could "easily slide into a top pairing"! But, among the names on this list? Forget it:

Boston: Brandon Carlo

Buffalo: Rasmus Ristolainen

Montreal: Shea Weber 

Ottawa: Erik Karlsson 

Tampa Bay: Anton Stralman

Carolina: Justin Faulk

Columbus: Seth Jones/ David Savard

New Jersey: Damon Severson

New York Islanders: Johnny Boychuk

Philadelphia: Radko Gudas 

Pittsburgh: Kris Letang/Justin Schultz 

Washington: John Carlson/Matt Niskanen 

And, that's just the Eastern Conference. Still think your hero holds up as a top pairing guy "on more than 1/2 the teams in the league"?

Chicago: Brent Seabrook

Colorado: Tyson Barrie/Erik Johnson 

Dallas: John Klingberg 

Minnesota: Matt Dumba/Jared Spurgeon 

Nashville: Ryan Ellis/P.K. Subban

St. Louis: Colton Parayko/Alex Pietrangelo 

Winnipeg: Dustin Byfuglien/Jacob Trouba

Anaheim: Sami Vatanen

Calgary: Dougie Hamilton/Travis Hamonic

Edmonton: Adam Larsson

Los Angeles: Drew Doughty 

San Jose: Brent Burns

Those are just the righties. Look, this might not be the full list of the 60 that are "better than" (however you want to define that) Chris Tanev - unless you want the lefties, too - but every single name you just read I would absolutely list, rate, and take above and ahead of him when assembling a top L-R defensive pairing. 

Let me know if you want those lefties if you really do need a full 60.

EDIT: just read your most recent comment: why the hell would I need to use any screen name other than this one?

Edited by Fakename70
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Just for FakeName70 (and the other 69 fake names you possibly use). Maatta and Schultz were the top 2 D for Penguins in Game 6 SCF. If you would don't believe CT could have replaced either, no possibility either of us could agree.

And why were they top 2? Who was injured and out of the lineup, as usual?

5 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

Because you have nothing better to do, most likely. You enjoy exercises based on, to paraphrase you - "how you see the facts" - well, here's one: if you REALLY believe your hero "would easily slide into a top pairing on more than 1/2 the teams in the league" - you actually said that, with a straight face apparently - let's take a look at the players around the league who could easily be considered the top RHD for their respective teams. Then, let's assemble a top L-R defensive pairing for each team listed. Still with me? Good. Now, if, as you said, Chris Tanev would "easily slide" to the top of the depth chart with a majority of teams, I'd like for you to please name exactly which of "1/2 the teams in the league" from this list where he'd replace their current #1 RHD as half of their top L-R defensive pairing. Hell, for some teams, I've even listed a probable #2 RHD for you to consider. But, if he's really as good as you think he is, then that should prove no obstacle for you. You'll notice that a few teams have been omitted. That's down to them just not really having much of anything going from the right side. Hey, maybe THAT'S where he could "easily slide into a top pairing"! But, among the names on this list? Forget it:

Boston: Brandon Carlo

Buffalo: Rasmus Ristolainen

Montreal: Shea Weber 

Ottawa: Erik Karlsson 

Tampa Bay: Anton Stralman

Carolina: Justin Faulk

Columbus: Seth Jones/ David Savard

New Jersey: Damon Severson

New York Islanders: Johnny Boychuk

Philadelphia: Radko Gudas 

Pittsburgh: Kris Letang/Justin Schultz 

Washington: John Carlson/Matt Niskanen 

And, that's just the Eastern Conference. Still think your hero holds up as a top pairing guy "on more than 1/2 the teams in the league"?

Chicago: Brent Seabrook

Colorado: Tyson Barrie/Erik Johnson 

Dallas: John Klingberg 

Minnesota: Matt Dumba/Jared Spurgeon 

Nashville: Ryan Ellis/P.K. Subban

St. Louis: Colton Parayko/Alex Pietrangelo 

Winnipeg: Dustin Byfuglien/Jacob Trouba

Anaheim: Sami Vatanen

Calgary: Dougie Hamilton/Travis Hamonic

Edmonton: Adam Larsson

Los Angeles: Drew Doughty 

San Jose: Brent Burns

Those are just the righties. Look, this might not be the full list of the 60 that are "better than" (however you want to define that) Chris Tanev - unless you want the lefties, too - but every single name you just read I would absolutely list, rate, and take above and ahead of him when assembling a top L-R defensive pairing. 

Let me know if you want those lefties if you really do need a full 60.

EDIT: just read your most recent comment: why the hell would I need to use any screen name other than this one?

Absolutely no sense in trying to have a discussion with someone who believes Justin Shultz, for but one example, is a better top pairing Dman than Chris Taney.   No sense at all.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Absolutely no sense in trying to have a discussion with someone who believes Justin Shultz, for but one example, is a better top pairing Dman than Chris Taney.   No sense at all.   

Welp, I guess that settles it then. FINALLY! NOW can you understand my frustration in feeling obligated to go back-and-forth with someone who believes Chris Tanev "would easily slide into a top pairing on more than 1/2 the teams in the league"? If only for the purpose of pointing out how ridiculous that opinion is? Talk about "no sense at all"! If you had actually bothered to pay attention to what I've said, you'd have noticed I specifically noted that one's preference for Chris Tanev depends on what one is looking for in an NHL Defenceman. Particularly, as it pertains to the top pairing. Chris Tanev, if you haven't already sorted it out for yourself by now, isn't what I look for. 

Edited by Fakename70

34 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

Welp, I guess that settles it then. FINALLY! NOW can you understand my frustration in feeling obligated to go back-and-forth with someone who believes Chris Tanev "would easily slide into a top pairing on more than 1/2 the teams in the league"? If only for the purpose of pointing out how ridiculous that opinion is? Talk about "no sense at all"! If you had actually bothered to pay attention to what I've said, you'd have noticed I specifically noted that one's preference for Chris Tanev depends on what one is looking for in an NHL Defenceman. Particularly, as it pertains to the top pairing. Chris Tanev, if you haven't already sorted it out for yourself by now, isn't what I look for. 

I understand you would put Justin Schulz as a top pairing Dman over Chris Tanev.    With that, you officially win this discussion and life in general.   Prize is in the mail.

19 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I understand you would put Justin Schulz as a top pairing Dman over Chris Tanev.    With that, you officially win this discussion and life in general.   Prize is in the mail.

You know what? The more you keep harping on Schultz, the more I like him compared to your hero:

Schultz: Regular Season: GP:344 (Over 5 seasons) G:41 A:119 P:160   Playoffs: GP:36 G:4 A:13 P:17  

Stepped-up big time in 2016-17 as a #1 D after Kris Letang was in injured. 2016-17 cap hit: $1.4M

Tanev: Regular Season: GP:348 (Over 7 seasons) G:16 A:59 P:75   Playoffs:  GP:16 G:0 A:3

Decent defenceman, but, too invisible on offence and injury-prone to be a legitimate #1D. 2016-17 cap hit: $4.4M 

Not entirely sure what the Canucks are getting for that $4.4M price tag (3 yrs left), but, even with the RFA raise Schultz has coming this summer, I'm thinking the Pens are getting more bang for their buck than the Canucks are. So, yeah, Schultz>>>Tanev. All day. 

28 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

You know what? The more you keep harping on Schultz, the more I like him compared to your hero:

Schultz: Regular Season: GP:344 (Over 5 seasons) G:41 A:119 P:160   Playoffs: GP:36 G:4 A:13 P:17  

Stepped-up big time in 2016-17 as a #1 D after Kris Letang was in injured. 2016-17 cap hit: $1.4M

Tanev: Regular Season: GP:348 (Over 7 seasons) G:16 A:59 P:75   Playoffs:  GP:16 G:0 A:3

Decent defenceman, but, too invisible on offence and injury-prone to be a legitimate #1D. 2016-17 cap hit: $4.4M 

Not entirely sure what the Canucks are getting for that $4.4M price tag (3 yrs left), but, even with the RFA raise Schultz has coming this summer, I'm thinking the Pens are getting more bang for their buck than the Canucks are. So, yeah, Schultz>>>Tanev. All day. 

Now you have won the internet too.   Massive trophy coming your way!   You rock!   Schultz is an easy FTAS.   You have shown us all.   Congrats!!!!

• 2 months later...
On 2017-06-29 at 8:16 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Oh man. You love to argue with everyone on the forum! Your so fierce!!

On 2017-06-30 at 3:58 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Now you have won the internet too.   Massive trophy coming your way!   You rock!   Schultz is an easy FTAS.   You have shown us all.   Congrats!!!!

Take it easy bro. Life is hard. No need to to get upset with everyone who doesn't think your way.

6 hours ago, Ichiban604 said:

Take it easy bro. Life is hard. No need to to get upset with everyone who doesn't think your way.

Uh, ok again.   You are on a roll!   If you care to re-read the thread, someone (me) sought clarity on an opinion (you) offered because someone (me) felt it defied what someone (me) felt was hockey logic.   For clarity, someone (me) asked someone (you) a clarifying question to which a lot of internet tough guy (you) responses came.   That does not constitute an "argument" - I simply have a different opinion of the players than you do and that does not make either of us right or wrong but you seemingly do not want anyone (well, seeing you are tracking my posts across all sorts of threads this morning....tad creepy that btw....at least lest of of me) disagreeing with you, I am not quite sure it is someone else (not you) that has the problem you are accusing someone (me) of above.

Have fun doing whatever it is you do.   If you find the internet upsetting, google "hobbies" and see how that goes!  :) 

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, ok again.   You are on a roll!   If you care to re-read the thread, someone (me) sought clarity on an opinion (you) offered because someone (me) felt it defied what someone (me) felt was hockey logic.   For clarity, someone (me) asked someone (you) a clarifying question to which a lot of internet tough guy (you) responses came.   That does not constitute an "argument" - I simply have a different opinion of the players than you do and that does not make either of us right or wrong but you seemingly do not want anyone (well, seeing you are tracking my posts across all sorts of threads this morning....tad creepy that btw....at least lest of of me) disagreeing with you, I am not quite sure it is someone else (not you) that has the problem you are accusing someone (me) of above.

Have fun doing whatever it is you do.   If you find the internet upsetting, google "hobbies" and see how that goes!  :) 

Wow sorry for taking up your time. You wrote so much. This forum is lucky to have a devoted expert like you. Keep up the good work. :):):) 

Silly argument.............

2 entirely different players..............1 offensive 1 defensive

Switch the players around.............Tanev plays on Pittsburgh and Shultz plays on the Canucks..................

1. Tanev probably scores 1.5 X the rate he has scored at, and probably has less goals scored against him than when he plays on the Canucks

2. Shultz probably scores at a slower rate, and has a whole bunch more score against him......aka Edmonton.

Why? Pittsburgh has a far greater much possession team and scores more goals and Vancouver is in a rebuild.............

I don't think it is worth much of an argument really! Got to keep things civil guys!.....Oh, yeah and I used the word probably a lot!

Hey, what about those Leafs!..............................(Distraction) LOL

PS........I hate the Leafs!

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

probably

Oh no Coastal.......I truly hate the Leafs..........I use to make a lot of money of dumb Leaf fans............one guy even paid me $50.00 in pennies......but the beer still tasted good!

Now a days I have to be pretty careful..............betting starts in the second round! LOL

Edited by janisahockeynut

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Oh no Coastal.......I truly hate the Leafs..........I use to make a lot of money of dumb Leaf fans............one guy even paid me $50.00 in pennies......but the beer still tasted good!

Now a days I have to be pretty careful..............betting starts in the second round! LOL

figured

it was a joke

cuz of all your probablies in that post

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...