The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

I hope so, along with somehow moving Edler.  Both cough up the puck too much when hit and neither are intimidating on defence.  When they take all of those hits in the corners (of their own end) they end up injury prone which both their records show.  Finally, both of them get way too many of their point shots blocked allowing for too many two on one breaks the other way.  Time to move them.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hopefully it's Tanev, and not Hutton, who gets traded.  Buffalo could use Tanev, so Sam Reinhart straight up should be fair.

I don't mind that deal either but why do you think Buffalo would trade Reinhart?

Just now, Boudrias said:

I don't mind that deal either but why do you think Buffalo would trade Reinhart?

If I was them, I wouldn't trade Reinhart either.  But maybe they are doing like the Oilers, and need to get an experienced defender?

15 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

is tanev trade bait this off-season? 

I sure hope not. He is arguably the most important player on the team. I can't imagine our being at all competitive without him back there. And he's is still young at 27, it's not like he can't be part of the next generation. And he was such a great underdog story, I'd hate to lose that guy.

Edited by Salmonberries

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

If I was them, I wouldn't trade Reinhart either.  But maybe they are doing like the Oilers, and need to get an experienced defender?

You are starting to draw that dangerous assumption again. That Tanev will command what Larssen did on the trade market?

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Love Tanev, but he is going to have to try and change his game, continuously gets punished physically, which is leading him to wear down quite fast.  Needs to adjust and become more elusive so he isn't absorbing so many big hits.

This may be the time to sell on him, I'm not sure his value is going to get much more than what it is now

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Don't think Tanev gets Drouin or Reinhart alone. Don't even think adding CBJ 2nd helps enough. I would add our 2nd for either.

Think Buff's #8 this year w/CBJ 2nd might get it done.  Would prob be a gamble worth taking...getting out of draft with a top C and D.

Does Tanev and #5 get    #2 or #3 ?

Think would rather have #5 and #8   ...Vilardi or Glass and 1 of the Dmen would be a good haul.

We somehow need to find a way to acquire some top end talent...no more 2-3rd line role players

Edited by nickels

Our defense is going to become brutal without Tanev but its probably the right thing to do so we can rebuild. I'm hoping we can trade Tanev for good assets, that Sbisa gets claimed by Vegas and we can get started on a makeover of the defense core. Although if Tanev gets traded first then obviously Sbisa would get protected but I'd rather cut ties with him anyway. Sign a UFA or two on one-year deals (like a Quincey/Hunwick/Kulikov type) and flip them at the deadline for picks, then call up McEneny/Subban/whoever for the balance of the season to get them prepped for full time duty in 2018-19.

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Gudbranson

Pedan/McEneny/Juolevi-UFA

(Biega/UFA)

Gonna be complete crap especially once injuries hit but its not like we're in any position to be competing soon, and a bottom of the league finish is most likely coming whether or not we keep Tanev. On the flip side, I wouldn't mind keeping him as part of our core since he's still relatively young, so if he doesn't get moved I'm fine with that. I just don't think we can keep this same look on the back end going forward. One or more of Tanev/Edler/Sbisa/Gudbranson should hopefully move this summer.

On 5/3/2017 at 6:51 PM, nickels said:

Don't think Tanev gets Drouin or Reinhart alone. Don't even think adding CBJ 2nd helps enough. I would add our 2nd for either.

Think Buff's #8 this year w/CBJ 2nd might get it done.  Would prob be a gamble worth taking...getting out of draft with a top C and D.

Does Tanev and #5 get    #2 or #3 ?

You really think that's the value of a top-pairing shutdown defenceman in his prime?

• 5 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Bunter Shinkorvat said:

this discussion just makes me think about the hall / larsson trade from last year. if the oilers offered a straight up trade - tanev for RNH, would you do it? 

I think Tanev is a little bit better than Larsson and Hall is better than RNH. So I would not make the trade. RNH seems to have settled into more of a 2nd line center than a 1st line center. Also, if we do trade Tanev, with the departure of Tryamkin, it does leave a sizable hole in an already questionable defense so I think it has to be really worth it (other team overpaying).

• Upvote 1

On 5/29/2016 at 8:20 PM, Fakename70 said:

Sorry, but, I still don't see the guy as a legitimate top-pairing or even top-4 defenceman at all. Wouldn't be heartbroken if he were the centerpiece to acquire Hamonic. 

wow, no takebacks lol.

On 5/29/2016 at 8:20 PM, Fakename70 said:

Sorry, but, I still don't see the guy as a legitimate top-pairing or even top-4 defenceman at all. Wouldn't be heartbroken if he were the centerpiece to acquire Hamonic. 

A year later people are now saying he can be traded for a first round pick.    Interesting gulf between valuation of this player.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

A year later people are now saying he can be traded for a first round pick.    Interesting gulf between valuation of this player.

Who, Tanev? I think a lot of people - CDC'rs in particular - really started to overvalue the guy after the 2016 Worlds. It's only gotten worse since then. Notice that I said he could be the centerpiece of a major trade acquisition, not the sole piece. I still think that holds true today and is more of an accurate reflection of his true value. He's not worthy of a Subban-Weber type straight swap. And, speaking of Subban, I still believe Benning needs to have his head examined if he really did allegedly/reportedly/supposedly balk at acquiring him once Bergevin mentioned Tanev's name  in return.