The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

46 minutes ago, n00bxQb said:

As of last night, the Canucks have played 23 games with Tanev in the lineup this season and 24 games without Tanev in the lineup.

With Tanev:

14-4-5 (71.7% P%), +5 goal differential (51-46; excluding empty net goals), goalie Sv% 93.2%

Without Tanev:

8-15-1 (35.4% P%), -18 goal differential (56-74; excluding empty net goals), goalie Sv% 90.2%

Canucks a top 5 team in the NHL with Tanev in the lineup, bottom 5 team without Tanev in the lineup.  Stark contrast.

So you think they shouldn't trade him then?

2 hours ago, n00bxQb said:

As of last night, the Canucks have played 23 games with Tanev in the lineup this season and 24 games without Tanev in the lineup.

With Tanev:

14-4-5 (71.7% P%), +5 goal differential (51-46; excluding empty net goals), goalie Sv% 93.2%

Without Tanev:

8-15-1 (35.4% P%), -18 goal differential (56-74; excluding empty net goals), goalie Sv% 90.2%

Canucks a top 5 team in the NHL with Tanev in the lineup, bottom 5 team without Tanev in the lineup.  Stark contrast.

Nice stat work.  Probably over states Tanev's value to the team.  But it's dramatic and clearly Tanev has a positive effect on the team!

What do you think @Alf ?

10 hours ago, n00bxQb said:

With Tanev:

Without Tanev:

Compelling stats. My observation is that there are so many varibles at work a accurate evaluation is tough. I am one of those who has called for trading Tanev by the TDL. He is an option because he has no NTC, his injury history, his size, his durability during CUP play, and his lack of offense. Does Van have enough talent in their d-core group to improve and replace what Tanev is offering today? Serious CUP play is likely 3 years away. What can Tanev bring back in a trade that compliments the long term objective of a CUP? I suggest that it would be a significant return.

Bottom line is that Van has to trade one of Tanev, Edler, Gudbranson or Sbisa. Doing less means losing one for NOTHING. My pick of the 4 is still Tanev.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, n00bxQb said:

With Tanev:

Without Tanev:

I guess that's why the losers are so determined to trade him. A player as obviously valuable as Tanev just starting the prime of his career must be gone for the Canucks to become contenders. 

Of course he will be easy to replace with all the magical draft picks the Canucks will get. By the way, can anyone remind me in which round we drafted Tanev?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

I've always said, if you want to tank trading Tanev is the way to make it happen. We aren't near the same team without him in the lineup.

I'd like to run this out there.......Don't you think the window for tanking is closing?   :bigblush:

There are a lot of young players developing and showing competitiveness in their own right.  It's nice to have veterans on the top line and top pair still but they are definitely no longer necessary for secondary support.  The Canucks appear to have bottomed out and are on the upswing.  Tanking now would prolong the down period and waste good and productive years for players like Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund, Stecher, Hutton, and Tryamkin.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Compelling stats. My observation is that there are so many varibles at work a accurate evaluation is tough. I am one of those who has called for trading Tanev by the TDL. He is an option because he has no NTC, his injury history, his size, his durability during CUP play, and his lack of offense. Does Van have enough talent in their d-core group to improve and replace what Tanev is offering today? Serious CUP play is likely 3 years away. What can Tanev bring back in a trade that compliments the long term objective of a CUP? I suggest that it would be a significant return.

Bottom line is that Van has to trade one of Tanev, Edler, Gudbranson or Sbisa. Doing less means losing one for NOTHING. My pick of the 4 is still Tanev.  

This is an assumption and is why Benning and Co are going through the exercise of making a mock Expansion Draft.  The questions to answer are:  Which players are going to be available to draft league wide?  And when it comes time to select a Canuck, are they vulnerable to lose a forward or a defenseman?  That could dictate whether they attempt to trade a defenseman or not.  I still don't see them protecting more than 3 D.

11 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

This is an assumption and is why Benning and Co are going through the exercise of making a mock Expansion Draft.  The questions to answer are:  Which players are going to be available to draft league wide?  And when it comes time to select a Canuck, are they vulnerable to lose a forward or a defenseman?  That could dictate whether they attempt to trade a defenseman or not.  I still don't see them protecting more than 3 D.

I think they can only protect 3 d-men no matter what. Bottom line is that Van will only lose one player off their unprotected list. Quite honestly of Tanev, Edler, Gudbranson or Sbisa I do not see a forward who would be a better value pick other than Hansen. Your right that other d-men might be picked over these 4 but when a value pick has to be made it still might be one of them as they could be traded once again by Vegas.  

9 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think they can only protect 3 d-men no matter what. Bottom line is that Van will only lose one player off their unprotected list. Quite honestly of Tanev, Edler, Gudbranson or Sbisa I do not see a forward who would be a better value pick other than Hansen. Your right that other d-men might be picked over these 4 but when a value pick has to be made it still might be one of them as they could be traded once again by Vegas.  

They can protect 8 skaters, or 7 forwards and 3 D.  I can't see many teams protecting 8 so they can protect 4 D because that would mean protecting 2 fewer players.  

Are you saying you think they might leave Hansen unprotected over Granlund?  If Hansen or Sbisa were available, I think they would go

11 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I guess that's why the losers are so determined to trade him. A player as obviously valuable as Tanev just starting the prime of his career must be gone for the Canucks to become contenders. 

Of course he will be easy to replace with all the magical draft picks the Canucks will get. By the way, can anyone remind me in which round we drafted Tanev?

You understand what we're up against here perfectly. I can't add anything to that.

• 4 weeks later...

Benning waited to long to trade him and now Chis Tanev has jumped him to move to #108 in all-time Canuck scoring.  I'm pretty sure 10 of those 15 goals have been in overtime :P

107.  Murray Hall C 109 27 44 71
108.  Chris Tanev D 330 15 56 71
109.  Jim Benning D 241 15 55 70

• 1 month later...

A lot of points in tonight's game but it was Tanev with his assist that was the highest mover up the all-time Canucks scoring list, quietly moving into 105th (as if Tanev ever does anything loudly)

104.  Mike Ridley C 112 26 47 73
105.  Chris Tanev D 338 15 58 73
106.  Pit Martin RW 131 27 45 72
107.  Gerald Diduck D 265 17 55 72
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Tanev is my favorite Canuck, I love his greasiness 

Brent Sopel's look alike had a good game last night and for the past number of games.

Shocking interview with Sopel last night. Autistic and a alcoholic. Not diagnosed until only months ago. A truly sad story. Full credit it he wants to help others.

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Brent Sopel's look alike had a good game last night and for the past number of games.

Shocking interview with Sopel last night. Autistic and a alcoholic. Not diagnosed until only months ago. A truly sad story. Full credit it he wants to help others.

Dyslexic and dysgraphic, not autistic.  Big difference.

Tanev just absolutely screaming up the all-time Canuck scoring list (relatively speaking...for Chris Tanev) into 104th with his assist tonight.

103.  Ted Taylor LW 191 35 40 75
104.  Chris Tanev D 341 15 59 74
105.  Mike Ridley C 112 26 47 73

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

is tanev trade bait this off-season? 

I expect him to be an option. If Tanev had more offensive upside I might think differently. How many times was Tanev hit hard by Winnipeg yesterday? That is the book on Tanev from what I can see. Not unusual when teams look at video and see him as a superior puck mover. The issue becomes how well will he stand up, physically, in CUP play. He gets by in regular season but we all know that CUP play is a different game. It is about attrition. If Benning is building a CUP contender he might decide to move Tanev while he has max value and get that forward help the team needs.