The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

Possibly a broken thumb - Kuzma in the Province:

[...] the loss of Chris Tanev to what the club initially called an upper-body injury suffered Tuesday in Calgary is costly. He blocked four shots that night and one struck him on the hand.

Especially because through the magic of social media, someone spotted Tanev on a flight from LAX to Vancouver on Thursday with his hand in a soft cast and a purple thumb. 

• 3 weeks later...

Its getting pretty ridiculous with Chris.  He either needs to change his style of play to avoid taking such big checks to self-preserve himself or he is going to cause himself some permanent bodily damage going forward. 

Love his heart and soul but he is just isn't elusive enough to avoid checks and he is taking some pretty hard ones.

24 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Its getting pretty ridiculous with Chris.  He either needs to change his style of play to avoid taking such big checks to self-preserve himself or he is going to cause himself some permanent bodily damage going forward. 

Love his heart and soul but he is just isn't elusive enough to avoid checks and he is taking some pretty hard ones.

Been saying this for a while we need to trade him asap his body will not hold up

22 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Teams have a playbook on the Canucks, and part of that playbook is slamming Tanev into the boards as often as possible, same with the Sedins and Eriksson.

While the team needs more pure goal scorers, and defensively minded players, it also desperately needs more size in both the forward and defense corps. Too often teams take liberties with the Canucks and don't suffer anything for it. It's pathetic really, and needs to stop. It's demoralizing enough for the fans to see their team getting manhandled and disrespected, I can only imagine what it must be like to be one of the players experiencing it at ice level.

With the emergence of the new core, I can only hope that a pack like mentality is forged that puts other teams on notice. I have faith in Bo as a captain (whenever that happens) and know that he'll stand up for his teammates, which is one of the things a captain should always do.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Been saying this for a while we need to trade him asap his body will not hold up

Been my concern for a while now too. Was hoping we'd see him traded last year before his NTC kicked in and before further injuries started derailing his value. Not because I don't think he's a good D.

On a good note, a better, deeper team probably allows Tanev less abuse if we do trade him, so theoretically he'll probably be healthier in that scenario.

43 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Teams have a playbook on the Canucks, and part of that playbook is slamming Tanev into the boards as often as possible, same with the Sedins and Eriksson.

While the team needs more pure goal scorers, and defensively minded players, it also desperately needs more size in both the forward and defense corps. Too often teams take liberties with the Canucks and don't suffer anything for it. It's pathetic really, and needs to stop. It's demoralizing enough for the fans to see their team getting manhandled and disrespected, I can only imagine what it must be like to be one of the players experiencing it at ice level.

With the emergence of the new core, I can only hope that a pack like mentality is forged that puts other teams on notice. I have faith in Bo as a captain (whenever that happens) and know that he'll stand up for his teammates, which is one of the things a captain should always do.

It's slowly coming Phil. And Gordie willing, we add Kane (and re-sign Guddy) in 2018 as well. A future lineup with Kane, Horvat, Virtanen, Gadjovich, MacEwan, not to mention pests like Gaudette, Lind and even to some extent Dahlen with Guddy on D and again, Gordie willing Tryamkin in a couple years, things start to look up in that regard.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

It's slowly coming Phil. And Gordie willing, we add Kane (and re-sign Guddy) in 2018 as well. A future lineup with Kane, Horvat, Virtanen, Gadjovich, MacEwan, not to mention pests like Gaudette, Lind and even to some extent Dahlen with Guddy on D and again, Gordie willing Tryamkin in a couple years, things start to look up in that regard.

Sounds good, aGENT. When you put it that way, it sounds...

REALGOODSUPERCUT.jpg.7ce0376efe03e3f65848e902d07c84e6.jpg

57 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

I can't believe there are only 14 pages for Chris Tanev.  I guess he's just competent and thus unremarkable, compared to some of the crappier players that have hundreds of pages.

Well, since he isn't a giveaway machine, isn't prone to 2-3 brain farts per game, and quietly goes out his business...sure, that eliminates at least 2 pages per game right there. You can eliminate another 1-2 pages per game because he isn't a scoring machine, or expected to be. He's just one of those players those isn't noticed...until it's time to look back to see what went right. That's when Tanev is noticed...unless he's hurt

1 hour ago, Aardvark said:

I can't believe there are only 14 pages for Chris Tanev.  I guess he's just competent and thus unremarkable, compared to some of the crappier players that have hundreds of pages.

If you go back to the 1st page of these roster players, you will see that they were started on May 29, 2016. The prospects who have graduated to the NHL have had their thread moved from the prospects section to the current roster section. Plus as you say he isn't bad and doesn't give people cause to cry about his play. The threads that are the longest are mainly people whining about how were they were the wrong pick.

Edited by canuckledraggin
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...