The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Press Release] Canucks name Dan Cloutier goalie coach

Roger Neilsons Towel

4 hours ago, SedinMadness said:

kk everyone is here is a happy canuck fan that doesn't make waves. I get it. I am a happy fan as well. However... why on earth is cloutier our goalie coach, someone enlighten me please. is there no bad criticism about cloutier being our goalie coach. will no one else join us? and to be fair i don't know what happen cloutier after his career with the canucks, and i am happy for him. 

He's not "joining us" and this isn't a new hire. This is a promotion.

The spot only really became available because Melanson wanted to move out east to be close to family and wanted to scale back his duties and responsibilities. 

And Cloutier's not being promoted because of his work as a player. That might have helped him with the initial hire but his advancement is 100% due to his success as a coach. 

Clouts cut his teeth as a goalie coach with the Barrie Colts and then was hired by Vancouver as our Goaltending Consultant, Player Development. In this capacity, he worked directly under Melanson's for four years, mostly working with our proospect goalies and AHL netminders. Markstrom has given Cloutier a ton of credit for helping him develop as a pro. And Melanson mentored Cloutier as a coach and taught him his techniques and approaches (which are highly respected around the league).

The pair had an extremely successful partnership where Melanson would do much of the initial analysis and design a development plan and then sort of hand off the day-to-day work to Cloutier. This is basically how the Canucks re-built Markstrom. Rollie came up with the initial plan, and Clouts implemented it (to great success).

Cloutier's achievements as a goalie coach have been noticed around the hockey world and he's definitely well-respected and considered on the rise. If he wasn't promoted here, I'd have expected another team would have eventually come around offering him a head goalie coach/consultant gig sometime within the next couple years.

I think most people familiar with Cloutier's (coaching) body of work generally felt pretty comfortable with the idea of him taking over from Melanson. But what most of us are thrilled to learn this week is that Rollie isn't going to be leaving the organization (as we had initially been led to believe).

The switch makes sense with where we are in goalie depth , markstrom and Miller will be fine with clouts as he works with what is already there; this allows Melly to get his hands on demko and the next line of goalies early on 

Cloutier had three solid regular seasons with us. Unfortunately the Playoffs went badly each year.

People act like the goal from centre ice was in the last minute of an elimination game. In fact we were up two games to none and the goal was scored in the final 30 seconds of the second period with a 1-1 tie. As a team, the Canucks didn't have enough character to overcome one bad play in a seven game series.

The following Playoffs was the famous "Have fun golfing" year which was another team collapse.

The following playoffs was right after Steve Moore attacked Todd Bertuzzi's gloved fist with the side of his head.

I would consider those team losses and not entirely Cloutier's fault as many would lead us to believe.

This is good news for the future of Canucks goal-tending.

Glad we kept Rolanson, especially since he's working with our prospects. 

As for Dan, when he was focused he was a beast, but he got flustered too easy. He was always a pretty good thinker at the position though, and deserves the promotion. 

The combination of the two gives us great continuity, as goaltending is the backbone of a team in a way.

Further to the points I made in my earlier posts, the timing of this switch couldn't be better.

Cloutier has an excellent working relationship with Markstrom and now those two will be able to continue fine tuning Markie's game at the NHL level. This should really help us in the short term as Markstrom continues to increase his share of the starts and likely takes over the #1 role after Miller's contract expires.

And currently, barring something at the draft, we only have two significant goalie prospects in Demko and Garteig. This is pretty close to an ideal workload for Melanson. And both Demko and Garteig seem like ideal candidates for improvement under Rollie. 

Demko has has been well coached and has pretty good technique. But he still needs some tweeks. Rollie will help him learn to be more efficient in his movement and more "economical" in net. Demko has the size and the athleticism to be an NHL starter. Rollie will give him the technique he needs and fine tune his game so that Demko has his best chance of succeeding in the NHL.

Garteig is an interesting case. He simply didn't get any goalie coaching at all until he went to college. Until that point, his game was all about sheer instinct and athleticism (and some startlingly poor fundamentals). The fact that he was a top BCHL goalie, while not knowing even basic goalie movements and barely being able to skate, just shows how much raw talent this guy has. And his coaches have described him as an absolute sponge and his game improved by leaps and bounds once he was exposed to actual goaltending coaching and technique. I can only imagine what Garteig might gain from working one-on-one with Rollie, who's universally renowned as one of the top guys in the business (in terms of coaching skills/technique).

Big Cloutier fan myself. Had one bad moment and that's seemingly all it takes for "less intelligent" fans to tear down what he did for us, and what he is currently doing for us in Vancouver. Markstrom might owe some of his success to Clouts, maybe even Demko who seems like he really likes him.

11 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i have no idea, what your talking about...whoever the inmates are and the old boy country club...?...who has to be fired and replaced?

Hey Joe. :) I am just old and bitter with the status quo. :)

13 hours ago, guntrix said:

Unless Rollie asked for this, I don't see the point of fixing what ain't broken. Rollie and Green have been two of our most impressive staff in recent years. 

I take it you haven't been paying attention to the Rollie Melanson saga....

This is a big win by management convincing him to stay in a diminished role instead of leaving completely.

Archived