The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Press Release] Canucks name Dan Cloutier goalie coach

Roger Neilsons Towel

48 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

fantastic news! Always been a huge Cloutier fan growing up in then West coast express canucks primarily. I remember Kirk from being a kid, but not vividly. Lu was Lu, and I later became a full on Schniedy man supporter in the pre Bo days. Loved the way we worked with Marky and excited to see what tim and Rolie can do with our kids coming up. Vancouver has a bright goaltending future. 

Now all we need is to hire Green on as assistant coach and things will be perfect. 

FTFY

Great move!

I never once blamed Cloutier for the Lidstrom goal. If the Canucks had Johnny Canuck instead of the orca, the goal never would've happened. The Canucks are cursed until Johnny Canuck is the primary crest.

Clouts is a great guy and is very well respected by those he works with. 

Congratulations, #39!

2 hours ago, Spotted Zebra said:

He gets way too much flack on here. One of the nicest guys to have played for this team

You're absolutely right. I believe his statistics rank him as one of the greatest goalies in our franchise's history. He had some excellent regular season performances. As for the playoffs in the WCE era, I have concluded that the team was not adequately prepared on a number of fronts; he under performed and lacked the ability to make that big timely save (a la Luongo on Stu Barnes in G7 of the 2007 WCQF vs. Dallas or on Sharp in G7 OT of the 2011 WCQF vs. Chicago) but you can't put a series loss on one guy. 

I knew someone who played goal who met Cloutier and said he was really nice and offered tips. The memory that stands out in my mind is when he was injured in Game 3 of the WCQF versus Calgary in April 2004. The play continued and he got himself in position to make one last save before the play stopped and he was taken out of the game (and, ultimately, the series). There were disappointments but also some great memories. Congrats to him!

This is a great result. Kudos to the Canucks front office for finding a way to both keep Rollie and promote Clouts.

Basically it sounds like the two coaches are swapping locations, with Rollie heading east (where he can be close to his family) and Cloutier returning west and becoming the main guy in Vancouver.

This is actually quite a creative solution by management.

It's pretty much the best of both worlds and allows us to keep Melanson (one of the top minds in goaltender coaching/development) and also give Cloutier (who is considered a goalie coach on the rise) some new responsibilities and advance his career (which should keep him happy and avoid another team potentially poaching him in the future).

Rollie and Clouts already have a great coaching partnership as mentor/student and now Cloutier shifts into the main role but still can call on Melanson whenever he needs advice and guidance.

Rollie will now work with our young netminders and be able to recognize and address their strengths and weaknesses at the early stages of their development. Rollie seems to thrive in a role of breaking down goalies' bad habits and designing plans to rebuild their technique. And he really doesn't need to be full time to accomplish this.

Plus, with Cloutier now based in Vancouver, he can once again work closely with Markstorm (who credits Clouts for much of his recent success as a professional). 

Really have to to give credit where it's due here. This is some truly excellent management of our (goaltending) coaching resources.

Happy to see him on board full time. He wasn't that bad of a goalie for us, he made one mistake that a lot of goalies have made (See Chris Osgood) and everyone held it over him his whole career. Before his injury problems started, he had decent numbers and was always competitive and if necessary, ready to drop the gloves.

Welcome back Clouts

I'm a huge fan of this.

This is a guy who didn't make the league on 'pure talent'. He had to fight for every inch of respect he got. He understands hard work, he knows the ups and downs of the game as well as any goalie - he's had great teams and awful teams... on the same team.

He's been traded for essentially a bag of pucks and still had the tenacity to keep trying even when his body said "enough is enough". Add that to the knowledge of playing for a long time in the pressure cooker that is a "goalie in Vancouver" he can offer insights that few other goalies can truly add for the mental aspect, especially for the guys just starting to make the jump into the NHL as starters.

Hopefully he can continue the good groundwork that was laid for the young guys... and hopefully Rollie can do his thing back east and keep that momentum up too.

Archived