The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Youngstars 2016?

Just now, Alflives said:

Isn't he playing in a Euro league?  I think he's over there, so is actively playing right now.  

Yes,, I just read about him in prospects....he is playing in the czech league I guess...has grown a few inches as well..6-1 now..needs to put on some wieght at 172...probably about time he made his way over here if he is serious about the NHL.

Jasek wants to come to North America but he's under contract to his Czech team. IIRC there's one year remaining and then he'll be free to come over.

He's been prevented so far (from coming over) by his team. There was an interview this year where Jasek said he'd asked his GM to let him come over and the request had been rejected:

"I wanted to play in the CHL," Jasek told Canucks Army. "The Canucks wanted (that) also, to watch (me) play there". "I still have contractual obligations to HC Trinec for another season" Jasek continued "of course, I tried to persuade my general manager to allow (my participation in the Import Draft) but without success".

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/8/10/canucks-army-prospect-profile-17-lukas-jasek

So he's been "stuck" in the HC Trinec system the past few years.

Many of us have been bemoaning this fate the last couple years and questioning whether playing in the Czech leagues is hurting Jasek's development. His numbers with men's team are quite meagre while he's dominant in U20.

The feeling was that Jasek wasn't getting a proper opportunity with Trinec:

I did an analysis of HC Trinec's usage of prospects over the past ten years and found, to my surprise, that compared to other young players in their system (from the decade), Jasek has actually been given more of an opportunity than typically seen with Trinec. Many comparable young players simply never get minutes on the Trinec men's squad until they are over 20. And even then, they don't really get to play more than a handful of minutes until they are 22 and over. This was the case even for top prospects that eventually developed into core players on that team.

Jasek getting 25+ games per season with the men's team, putting up a few points, while playing minimal minutes a night is actually "special handling" for Trinec and suggests they are quite high on his potential. Other players of his age (from the past decade) would either just get zero games (at the senior level) or maybe play a handful of minutes a night a few times during the season and post zeros across the board.

This season, Jasek hopes to have a more prominent role with Trinec's men's team and to be given more minutes to work with. This would usually be unlikely for a typical 19/20 year old in their system, but based on how they've used Jasek from age 17-19 (which mirrors typical usage for Trinec's prospects at age 19-21), I do expect Jasek will finally get his chance to play a regular role this season.

I also expect Trinec will try to convince Jasek to re-sign with them, which likely means they will feel like they have to give him a better opportunity this season. But based on the interviews, it would appear that Jasek plans to leave the Czech leagues as soon as his contract allows so that he can pursue his career in North America.

So while things have certainly been quiet over here, Jasek is still a legitimate prospect IMO and a player to watch for 2017-18.

As usual I look forward to watching Curtis Valk (the guy deserves an injury free spell) who along with Zhukenov  are the type of small players I have time for - all action, in your face, guys who hassle the sh-t out of the opposition by relentlessly "fighting" above their weight. They also put up points and make their line mates play better.

My dark horse is Yan-Pavel Laplante. I feel this guy lost out through injury along the way but has come back strong. He has all the attributes to make a real splash this year and he is a fiery, competitive character and we frankly can't have enough of these guys imo.

I also expect good things from MacKenzie, Abols, D'Aoust and Stukel, in the forwards and hopefully a form recovery by Cassels.

In D I am really impressed by Stecher, Juolevi of course and Brisebois but I also have high hopes for Subban, Neil and Olson who have all come on a great deal in the last year. Stecher for me could be the real star but like Subban I just wish he was bigger.

In goal both Demo and Garteig seem to be impressive and it will be interesting watching them fight it out for honours here.

Canucks Young Stars preview

Tuesday, 09.13.2016 / 10:06 AM PT / Features
By Tyson Giuriato

It begins.

Some of the top prospects in the Canucks’ organization will be in beautiful Penticton later this week as the 2016 Young Stars Classic gets underway on Friday.

The tournament not only gives the organization a good look at what they have in the system, but allows fans to get a glimpse of some future Canucks players competing against top prospects from three other organizations. Last year, six players that laced up the skates with the Canucks in Penticton saw action with the big club during the regular season, including Ben Hutton and Jake Virtanen.

This year, the team welcomes a trio of first time participants out of the NCAA, as well as 2016 first round pick, Olli Juolevi.

Five things you should know about the 2016 Canucks Young Stars roster:

July814_thatch2_rr.jpg

Demko’s arrival: NCAA rules permit players from competing at the Young Stars Classic while still in school (which is way you won’t see Brock Boeser), so Canucks fans have had to wait a few seasons to see their blue-chip goaltending prospect, Thatcher Demko. The 20-year-old turned pro after stellar junior season at Boston College, which saw him win the Mike Richter Award as the top goalie in college hockey and also be named a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award, opening the door for him to participate in Penticton and show Canucks fans why he is so highly touted.

Homecoming of sorts: The Canucks dipped into the NCAA free agent pool earlier this year when they signed defenceman Troy Stecher out of North Dakota and goaltender Michael Garteig from Quinnipiac. Both will be in action in Penticton and both have spent some time calling the South Okanagan Events Centre home, including one season as teammates. Stecher played three seasons with the BCHL’s Penticton Vees, while Garteig started 45 games for the Vees in 2011-12. Both players were key contributors in Penticton’s 2012 national championship season.

Oct915_cassels_rr.jpg

Ready for a rebound: This time last year, the excitement around Cole Cassels was sky high. He was coming off a Memorial Cup winning season with the Oshawa Generals that saw him post 81 points (30-51-81) and 100 penalty minutes in just 54 games, plus another 35 points (11-24-35) in 25 post-season games. Unfortunately, his first year in the AHL didn’t go as well as expected. He scored just two goals and seven points in 67 games. Now fully healthy and with a full off-season of training, Cassels is primed for a bounce back season and that will start with his play in Penticton.

The new guys: Led by first round pick Olli Juolevi, the Canucks will have five of their six draft picks from June in the lineup. The lone exception being Will Lockwood, who is off to the University of Michigan. Defenceman Cole Candella and forwards Jakob Stukel, Rodrigo Abols (who played last season as an invite) and Brett McKenzie round out the 2016 draft picks in the lineup.

Jan616_subbs_rr1.jpg

Returnees: A total of 11 players that suited up at the 2015 Young Stars Classic return this time around: Rodrigo Abols, Cole Cassels, Joe Labate and Dmitry Zhukenov return up front, while defencemen Guillaume Brisebois, Evan McEneny, Carl Neill, Tate Olson, Ashton Sautner, Mackenze Stewart and Jordan Subban return to a crowded 11-player blue-line.

Extra Notes:

-There are 28 players in total on the roster: three goaltenders, 11 defencemen and 14 forwards.

-Rodrigo Abols and Joe Labate share the title as tallest on the Canucks’ roster, each standing at a respectable 6-foot-4.

-At 215-pounds, Evan McEneny and Mackenze Stewart each weigh-in as the heaviest on the roster.

-Goaltender Michael Garteig checks in as the oldest player on the roster at 24-years-old (Nov. 5, 1991), while at 18-years-old (May 5, 1998), Olli Juolevi competes as the youngest player on the roster.

-Eight players on the Young Stars roster saw action with the Utica Comets last season: Cole Cassels (67 games), Jordan Subban (67 games), Joe Labate (66 games), Ashton Sautner (50 games), Curtis Valk (12 games) and Evan McEneny (2 games).

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=892581&utm_source=social&utm_medium=hootsuite&utm_campaign=

Calgary's roster...

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=892364

That D is scary big. 3 guys at 6'7. Only 1 (out of 9) under 200lb. The forward group isn't small, either.

Hope our guys are fast.

CALGARY FLAMES YOUNG STARS CLASSIC ROSTER

FORWARDS
Jersey Number Name POS Height Weight   S Date Of Birth BIRTHPLACE
95 MIKKEL AAGAARD C 5' 11" 180 L OCT 18 1995 FREDERIKSHAVN, DENMARK
94 BRAYDEN BURKE LW 5' 11" 175 L JAN 1 1997 EDMONTON, AB, CAN
62 AUSTIN CARROLL RW 6' 3" 215 R MAR 26 1994 SCOTTSDALE, AZ, USA
78 JUSTIN DOUCET LW 6' 5" 235 L APR 13 1997 SALABERRY-DE-VALLEYFIELD, QC, CAN
59 DILLON DUBE LW 5' 11" 185 L JUL 20 1998 COCHRANE, AB, CAN
77 MARK JANKOWSKI C 6' 4" 205 L SEPT 13 1994 ST. CATHERINES, ON, CAN
45 Morgan Klimchuk LW 6' 0" 190 L MAR 2 1995 CALGARY, AB, CAN
96 DENNIS KRAVCHENKO C 5' 9" 180 l MAR 30 1994 SAN CLEMENTE, CA, USA
56 RYAN LOMBERG C 5' 10" 190 L DEC 9 1994 RICHMOND HILL, ON, CAN
88 ANDREW MANGIAPANE LW 5' 10" 185 L APR 4 1998 BOLTON, ON, CAN
47 MATTHEW PHILLIPS RW 5' 7" 155 R APR 6 1998 CALGARY, AB, CAN
60 BRETT POLLOCK LW 6' 3" 195 L MAR 17 1996 SHERWOOD PARK, AB, CAN
87 MATHIEU SEVIGNY LW 6' 1" 180 L MAR 12 1998 HARTFORD, CT, USA
71 HUNTER SMITH RW 6' 7" 230 R SEPT 11 1995 WINDSOR, ON, CAN
19 MATTHEW TKACHUK LW 6' 2" 205 L DEC 11 1997 SCOTTSDALE, AZ, USA
75 EETU TUULOLA RW 6' 2" 230 r MAR 17 1998 HAMEENLINNA, FINLAND
DEFENCEMEN
Jersey Number Name POS Height Weight   S Date Of Birth HOMETOWN
54 Rasmus Andersson rD 6' 1" 215 R OCT 27 1996 Malmo, Sweden
98 riley bruce rd 6' 7" 210 r jul 16 1997 Carp, ON, CAN
63 Ryan Culkin lD 6' 2" 200 l DEC 15 1993 Montreal, QC, CAN
76 Roman dyukov LD 6' 2" 210 L sept 29 1995 MINSK, BELARUS
80 STEPAN FALKOVSKY LD 6' 7" 225 L DEC 18 1996 MINSK, BELARUS
92 AARON HYMAN RD 6' 5" 220 R APR 19 1998 CALGARY, AB, CAN
73 KEEGAN KANZIG LD 6' 7" 245 L FEB 26 1995 ATHABASCA, AB, CAN
58 Oliver Kylington LD 6' 0" 185 L MAY 19 1997 Stockholm, Sweden
52 Kenney Morrison RD 6' 2" 210 R FEB 13 1992 Lloydminster, AB, CAN
GOALTENDERS
Jersey Number Name Height Weight  C Date Of Birth HOMETOWN
36 Jon Gillies 6' 6" 220 L JAN 22 1994 Concord, NH, USA
72 Mason McDonald 6' 6" 200 r APR 23 1996 Halifax, NS, CAN
82 TYLER PARSONS 6' 1" 185 L SEPT 18 1997 Leduc, AB, CAN
70 Nick Schneider 6' 2" 175 L JUL 31 1997 Leduc, AB, CAN

/\

I just went to a preseason Hitmen game the other day, and saw Aaron Hyman play. He looked huge compared to the Junior kids, and laid out a couple guys, but he was pretty slow. 

As for our own guys, Stukel was pretty much invisible. But he moved quick to open ice the few times I noticed him.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

/\

I just went to a preseason Hitmen game the other day, and saw Aaron Hyman play. He looked huge compared to the Junior kids, and laid out a couple guys, but he was pretty slow. 

As for our own guys, Stukel was pretty much invisible. But he moved quick to open ice the few times I noticed him.

Those guys may be big, but they're plugs.

I'd rather have 6'3" guys that can skate. Our D should be much more mobile. Hopefully we can burn them with a good transition game.

I think Kyle Maksimovich could be a guy Benning keeps an eye on for the later rounds of next year's draft. If not for his size, he'd definitely have gone this year. Looking at his picks from 2016, there definitely seems to be a bit of a trend towards taking players in their second or even third year of eligibility (Stukel, McKenzie, Abols, and Neill from the year before) when it comes to the later picks.

Calgary invitee Brayden Burke will be interesting to watch. One of the better projecting over-aged players to go undrafted in 2016.

Canucks Army has a good write up on Burke as part of today's "Talent Left Behind at the 2016 Draft" post: http://canucksarmy.com/2016/9/14/talent-left-behind-at-the-2016-draft

Lots of other interesting undrafted players listed there as well.

I'm curious about the rules regarding offering contracts to another team's invitees? Can't seem to find clear information on how firm a claim (re: signing rights) teams actually have to their invited players during the tournament.

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Calgary invitee Brayden Burke will be interesting to watch. One of the better projecting over-aged players to go undrafted in 2016.

Canucks Army has a good write up on Burke as part of today's "Talent Left Behind at the 2016 Draft" post: http://canucksarmy.com/2016/9/14/talent-left-behind-at-the-2016-draft

Lots of other interesting undrafted players listed there as well.

I'm curious about the rules regarding offering contracts to another team's invitees? Can't seem to find clear information on how firm a claim (re: signing rights) teams actually have to their invited players during the tournament.

I don't think the inviting team has any rights. If the kid passed through the draft, he's a free agent and should be able to play anywhere he can find a spot. Just like a PTO player, I would think.

33 minutes ago, X-PatLostInEdm said:

I don't think the inviting team has any rights. If the kid passed through the draft, he's a free agent and should be able to play anywhere he can find a spot. Just like a PTO player, I would think.

But aren't PTOs "property" of the team until they are released? Every case I can remember, when an outside team signs another team's PTO player, they've waited until after he's been released from the PTO. Maybe just a courtesy between GMs but this seems to be common practice. Just curious if the same applies to tournament invitees?

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

But aren't PTOs "property" of the team until they are released. Every case I can remember, when an outside team signs another team's PTO player, they've waited until after he's been released from the PTO. Maybe just a courtesy between GMs but this seems to be common practice. Just curious if the same applies to tournament invitees.

I see what you're saying. You meant could another team sign him while he's still trying out with you as an invite? Can't help you there, I don't know. Would be a pretty sleazy move, though.

On the other hand, I can't see a player being allowed to participate in a camp without signing something. Even if it's just something like a waiver, there's probably language in there to preclude that.

1 hour ago, X-PatLostInEdm said:

I see what you're saying. You meant could another team sign him while he's still trying out with you as an invite? Can't help you there, I don't know. Would be a pretty sleazy move, though.

On the other hand, I can't see a player being allowed to participate in a camp without signing something. Even if it's just something like a waiver, there's probably language in there to preclude that.

Yeah, I can't really see it happening even if allowed.

Was asking the question because I just don't know the technicalities re: invitees.

Probably a GM would call his counterpart and express interest. Then the team that invited the player could either sign the player or release them from their commitment so they can sign with another club.

Archived